why wont my radiators work?

Currently reading:
why wont my radiators work?

Well i dont know what type of boiler yours is, but on ours when you turn on the central heating there is a gas flame that is ignited and you can see it through the window of the boiler.

Can you tell im no plumber/gas man :eek:

Gas heated water Rads?

When you click the boiler into the on position do you hear the Boiler Ignite?

There is a switch that controls Hot Water and Heating. Locater near the boiler

Positions 1 is usually Just Water, Position 2 is off Positions 3 is Water and Heating. What position is your switch in?

Have you bled your Radiators? They will not heat up with air in them. To bleed them you get the Radiator Key which is like an Alan key except its Square.

At the top of the radiator at each side there is a little hole the key will fit into. Unscrew the screw until water starts coming out then tighten back up again.

This needs to be done on all radiators.

You can open the lower valves and check for sludge. If the water it grimey then you will need the system flushed. You'll need to call in a professional to do this.

Last edited:
Go upstairs and into your airing cupboard. Assuming you have a typical central heating system. Look for two boxes with levers coming out from the top. Should be marked up as auto and manual I think.

motorol3w22mm.jpg

Similar to this.

Anyway, you have one for hot water and the other for heating. Feel the pipes and see if you can identify which one is the heating. Try overiding the valve.

Classic component to fail, lack of usage normally causes the motor to burnout when the heating is switched back on after a long spell being off.

Go upstairs and into your airing cupboard. Assuming you have a typical central heating system. Look for two boxes with levers coming out from the top. Should be marked up as auto and manual I think.

motorol3w22mm.jpg

Similar to this.

Anyway, you have one for hot water and the other for heating. Feel the pipes and see if you can identify which one is the heating. Try overiding the valve.

Classic component to fail, lack of usage normally causes the motor to burnout when the heating is switched back on after a long spell being off.

the boilers in the garage, can't see anything like that on it either :(

Back