Why punto called punto?

Currently reading:
Why punto called punto?

Are you sitting comfortably? Then Ill begin...

When Tipo was first released its rear badge was 'Tipo.' - 'Type Dot', or in Italian 'Tipo Punto'. The dot was meant to be pronounced.

Everyone ignored the dot though and just called the car the 'Tipo'. When the next car was in development it was known as the 'Tipo B' and when launched to get back at all those who never said the dot they named it 'Punto'.

If you look at the rear badge of a <93 car its 'Tipo.' but 93> its just 'Tipo'

Heres a version i just made up:

We all ussually use the expression: "...The Pont is that..."

In spanish, and italian, point = punto, they could've named it like that because it's an everyday car same as the every day expression mentioned avobe :D, the POINT is that, it's a great car :D

Better name than:

Ford Ka - It's a car, we'll call it a car, but spelt differently
Ford Focus (aka Fcuk us) - The focus group came up with nothing, so we named it after the focus group!
VW Bora - ing
Hyundai Matrix - seen any good films?
BMW 318i - Got a 2.0 engine, let's call it 318 (same for other BMWs)
BMW Mini - Small. On the inside anyway
Land Rover Freeloader
Land Rover Discovery - Will you discover anything on the school run?
Vauxhall Tigra - Dyslexic tiger?
Seat Leon - Dyslexic Lion?
Rover Metro - should be burried underground
Citroen Sucks-o
Honda Jazz - Nice. Or should it be Honda Jizz?
Nissan Micro - really, really small

I don't mean to offend anyone with the names or possible meanings

Yep you are driving a Fiat Type!

As for some others

Barchetta - Small Boat (think most people know that one)
Tempra - Hardening :eek:
Multipla - Multiple (of 3? i.e. the 2 rows of 3 seats?)
Seicento - The 1600's
Cinquecento - The 1500's
Newly announced Sedici - Sixteen
Palio - Racing Silk
Strada - Road

Hellcat said:
Thought the 318 had a 1.8litre engine?

Originally did. But BMW upped some capacities and kept the names. I think the 316 has a 1.8 these days, and the 323 has a 2.5. Most are the actual engine size. I heard this on some documentatry and through reading reviews etc. I don't have as much fact storage as JTD Monkey, but some... Mind you I could be wrong on some of the BMW stuff as I don't care for them. I was very surprised the other day when an M5 pulled out in front of me with not a lot of room for my speed (60mph). I found an actual BMW driver who can drive! That thing went!

Isnt punto italian for "I Push" which translated to english meaning means Im determinded.

You need to be

Need I say more? :D

The Nova was badged the Corsa in Europe. This is because "No Va" in Spanish means "No Go".
The Pajero is also badged different in Europe because its spelling is too close to the Spanish word for prostitute.

Since im spanish ill correct some of ur guesses (no offence guys).

Punto means POINT or DOT (wwwpuntofiatforumpunto.com [LOL?]), end of story there lol
seicento = 600
cinquecento = 500
Tempra im assuming is for Temprano which means Early

And you are right about the nova (no va = doesnt go [which is kinda right aniways lol]) but not about pajero, and here is the funny why, pajero in spanish means W A N K E R. lol

not the same language but very similar, if an intalian spoke slowly i could understand him. About the writing, it's very similar, for example, seicento in spanish is seicientos

Luciel said:
Since im spanish ill correct some of ur guesses

This is the FIAT forum... Not the Seat Forum...

Luciel said:
Punto means POINT or DOT (wwwpuntofiatforumpunto.com [LOL?]), end of story there lol
seicento = 600
cinquecento = 500
Tempra im assuming is for Temprano which means Early

Thought I already explained about the punto? :confused:

Was indeed wrong with Seicento and Cinquecento.

Tempra does mean harden, as in English to temper [metal].

Back