General Why isn't my Panda 999c Fire Starting?

Currently reading:
General Why isn't my Panda 999c Fire Starting?

wilharper2000

Hi

I own an F-reg Fiat Panda 1000cl fire. I have just finished replacing the head gasket on it. However, now it does not start. I have checked all the obvious things like sparks at sparkplugs, distributer, distributer cap, and have just put a new timng belt on it with correct alignment.
The car turns over and occasionally fires or at least speeds up when turing over but will not start. Bradex Easystart seems to have no effect on it. I am about 80% sure the carburettor is working properly, and fuel is defenitly being pumped through. I have even taken the carburettor off and sprayed easystart into the inlet manifold, but this made no change.

Please could someone advise me as to what is wrong

Thanks
Will

Mmmm.... If you say you've got the timing right, that there's spark and that there's fuel then it should start.

So one of those must be missing (the old Sherlock Holmes of pandas theory!)

I think you need to go back and re-check everything including points if you have any. (which you should on an F reg)

The more intelligent will be along any moment:D

But welcome to the Forum.

Jim

Will do, but what are points.
The carb could have problems with the diaphram but surely the engine would properly fire if easystart was sprayed into it while the engine is turned over?

The engine was running before, however when the head blew I was driving, the car lost power and huge amounts of white or blue smoke came out the exhaust, and i mean a huge amount.
The car did not used to overheat but the water coolant kept having to be refilled as it was loosing lots.

wilharper2000 said:
Will do, but what are points.
The carb could have problems with the diaphram but surely the engine would properly fire if easystart was sprayed into it while the engine is turned over?

I have a Mercedes and the carb on that wont run properly and its (i think)due to a split diaphram. The car starts and runs, but shakes and then stops after a few seconds.

Did you skim the cylinder head and clean the engine block? HAve you connected all the plug leads up in the right order? Did you tighten the head bolts correctly in order and to the right torque settings? Did you check the head for cracks splits etc?
If you don't know what points are I'm a bit concerned:confused: :confused: that you are trying to change a head gasket. . . . . .

it confuses me because the car should run, even for just a bit, occassionally after turing it over a lot absolutly nothing happens, its usually at is "best" when its first turned over on that day, and even then only a slight fire, then off again.

I cleaned and scraped off all the bits of gasket from the surface, and then cleaned all the piston heads, they were in very good condition apart from one which had a lot of oily grime on it. I also cleaned the valves as well.
Although i do not have a torque wrench, which means the bolts are not at the right torque, they are in order though.

ok - check the points - they are in the distributor unless you have ELECTRONIC ignition. THe points look like a small leaf spring type thing wiht two pads on - these are parted by the distributor shaft spinning round and a small cam pushing them apart - this is when they spark.

also check the distributor cap to see if the tiny piece of CARBON on a SPRING is in the cap - it should be touching the metal on the ROTOR arm when the cap is fitted. sometimes these fall out and are easily lost!

thanks, I've just been reading it, this could be the problem although I still dont understand why I'm getting a spark at all four plugs and nothing is happening, some people said that although the vacuum advance did not work properly the car still ran.
Sorry for being picky:D its just that I want to get the car running before I start to fiddle with the distributer and the advance unit.

Back