Why is it (when selling a car)?

Currently reading:
Why is it (when selling a car)?

Alfa_Delta

Why is it that people put, when selling a car "Good condition for year" and in the same advert "No MOT"?

If you are trying to sell a car surely it's worth the expense of a fresh MOT as without it the car is technically usesless as a car.

If it is good condition "for its year" then surely it must therefore be capable of passing an MOT as other cars of the same (or older) year are still being used on the road and still capable of passing an MOT.

In my book, a car with no MOT is worth little more than scrap value unless its something a bit special.

If it's not turned a wheel in ten years, make the effort to get the thing running and get it to an MOT station. Even if it doesn't pass, selling a car with an up to date failure certificate showing exactly what it needs to get it back on the road is surely more meaningful then selling a car as "Good condition for year - No MOT" as if putting "for year" cancels out the "good condition" statement.

Having looked at many cars that were described as such I have to say "poor condition - even for a car that is twice its age" would be, in 90% of cases, a more accurate description...

It is just me?

I do agree, but you can't always get an MOT - I sold my uno without one because the clutch went and the MOT was due. With the car only worth £200 and a clutch all of 100 I wasn't going to buy it because I was selling the car.

All the same, it was a "good runner" - always started first time! And certainly "in good condition for its age" - It had only done 30000 miles or so on a G reg and the bodywork and interior was perfect and the clutch was the only problem I ever had with the car! I was getting a better car and didn't want to spend money on it, but the new owner has and I've seen it around a couple of times.

Back