why does it go on fire....

Currently reading:
why does it go on fire....

When I put wrong type of bulbs in my car. I think the current ones are 'golf ball' 12v 45/40w and the one I replaced it with are 'made in taiwan' h4 12v 60/55w.

After a few seconds smoke was coming from the wiring and it melted the connector to the bulb.

Aint a fuse suppose to blow and save me :(

well yes but basically the wiring cant hadle the higher power draw of the new bulbs.
arc did a post in the cento section on adding new wiring ot allow the use of higher rated bulbs.
car wiring is the lowest spec they can get away with and new wire will help your lights anyway

Fuse may be higher rated of course. So if the bulb is normally 12v 45w, that means a 3.75 amp draw. So I guess they fit a 5amp fuse, which 55w would be inside of. It would have melted the fuse eventually since the higher temperature wire and bulb would have drawn constantly increasing current until the fuse melted, typically.

WATTAGE (The speed and amount of electorns that travel along your wiring from one point to the next... or something)

Higher wattage more friction = heat/melt (n)

a lot higher then your standard bulb? Some mad high watt bulbs come with there out connectors as in, you plug an adapter somewhere along your wire then connect the light normally or to the adapter.

Don't change the fuse at the fuse box to compensate anything otherwise the fire part of your TPFT or fully comp will come in very handy.

So 'golf ball' bulbs which are higher rated will smoke aswell :(

Candles would be brighter than the current bulbs.

Will see if anyone locally can upgrade the wiring for me. Although will see if arc's post is easy

Definition: Fire - A by product of "The Gaz Effect". See also: Disaster; flames; smoke; caravan; flooding; sand; glue; head; ladder; loft; cable-tie; plague.

:p
H

Definition: Fire - A by product of "The Gaz Effect". See also: Disaster; flames; smoke; caravan; flooding; sand; glue; head; ladder; loft; cable-tie; plague.

:p
H

You forgot to add 'Angle Grinder' to that list H :p

Gaz, you can fit much higher powered bulbs. What you need to do though is fit better wiring to the bulbs carrying power from the battery, and use a relay to switch them on and off. As has been mentioned, the standard wiring is insufficient for carrying the greater current as demanded by higher wattage bulbs.

So 'golf ball' bulbs which are higher rated will smoke aswell :(

Candles would be brighter than the current bulbs.

Will see if anyone locally can upgrade the wiring for me. Although will see if arc's post is easy

It is so easy to upgrade the wiring for your lamps.

1) Take two fused supplies from your battery in 28/030 cable to the area of your headlamps.

2) Obtain a switchover relay, or if not available 2 switching relays.

3) Use your existing headlamp wiring to switch the relays.

4) Put 28/030 cable between the relay(s) and the bulb.

5) Put 28/030 cable from the erath on the bulb to earth.(this is the one everyone usually forgets.)

6) Enjoy seeing where you are going.

OR

Buy an HID set.

Cheers

D

1) Take two fused supplies from your battery in 28/030 cable to the area of your headlamps.

5) Put 28/030 cable from the erath on the bulb to earth.(this is the one everyone usually forgets.)

OR

Buy an HID set.

Cheers

D

Please don't encourage him!

051211_oilblast_hmed_12p.h2.jpg

I bet that is an easy guide too :eek: , will have a play and see what happens:)

Thanks for the thread arc (y)

Back