• They are better for my reputaion

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • They make me feel better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
so why moan at the ppl that do..?????
that is a well documented social principle. people who believe they have bought into something exclusive or superior will look down on others, that is the "bmw effect" and the reason people call bmw drivers tossers, in the same way people who wear £200 jeans are disliked by many people. its natural.

This has actually really annoyed me! :mad:

Does anyone "rant/moan" when you spend money on your car or whatever, i should hope not cos its your money.

But it could be said why do you spend:

200 - 300 on tints
200+ on a remap
500+ on alloys
200+ on a exhaust
the list goes on... and all it comes down to again... is cos you can and want to...

yes you are free to spend your money as you wish, but as with anything else in life your decisions will have consequences, in this case economic and social ones. you'll fit in with the other brand slags, and you'll create some animosity with those who do not buy into that culture. you'll have less of your income to spend on other things. "you pays your money and takes your choice" however you dont choose your consequences, but you should be aware of them.

that is a well documented social principle. people who believe they have bought into something exclusive or superior will look down on others, that is the "bmw effect" and the reason people call bmw drivers tossers, in the same way people who wear £200 jeans are disliked by many people. its natural.

Most people dont buy clothes to look down on people, i certainly dont, we do it to feel good.

Yes there are the "footballers" wife types who do it for social status.

but whose to say whats right and wrong to spend money on. its nice to have the choice if you want the cheaper or more expensive end of the scale

my my had been in the machining industry for years, she had clothes from GAP, Jigsaw, Prada everything now they do alot of matalan stuff, they are all machined together by the same workforce, material quality is the same if not poorer on the already worn look jeans ect....

i shop at matalan love that place :D also burtons, next, GAP and river island never been primark yet but my mate calls it pri-marni lol

dont think i dress like a tramp ?!?

you'll fit in with the other brand slags, and you'll create some animosity with those who do not buy into that culture.

So people who like the nicer things in life are brand slags?

That a very unfair comment to make.

And as for fitting in to the culture i think you`ll find the the non brand people are actually buying cheap rip offs of the branded things anyway, cos that what high street fashion does!

so the fact is unless u dress liek a grandad we are ALL brand whores

And as for fitting in to the culture i think you`ll find the the non brand people are actually buying cheap rip offs of the branded things anyway, cos that what high street fashion does!

Excuse me?

I wear a white shirt. I pay £10 for it rather than £100. Is my white shirt a rip-off of an expencive shirt? There are not exactly a lot of designs of shirt floating around.

look at the end of the day what does it matter how much u pay.. if u wanna pay a tenner fine... if u wanna pay 100 fine ... if u want 20 quid jeans fine if u want 200 quid jeans great... but what im saying is why bloody moan about about other peoples clothes. its pathetic. its freedom of of choice.

People have different incomes, diff life sytles, diff comminments.

rip offs is wrong word.

But MOST high street shops have very close copies to the designer end.

One shop was made to stop selling a playsuit or something that was a DIRECT copy of chole.

Here's an example for you!

2000 - I buy a pair of Ellese tracksuit bottoms for holidays, cost £32.

2006 - Mum buys a pair of Patrick tracksuit bottoms for me, cost £8.

Ellese tracksuit bottoms have zips, drawsting and pockets intact.

Patrick tracksuit bottoms have one duff zip already.

Conclusion the £32 pair are better made.

A more expensive item will look better for longer after being machine washed i.e. fading etc, all the cheaper clothes seem to be cut from this standard shapeless template which makes the stuff look hellish.

There is expensive clothes to be had for not much money, just got to be a shrewd shopper i.e. the £70 Berghaus coat bargain, I would never pay £250 for one but will happily enjoy the £250 quality for £70!

Liam

very well put.

im not saying all cheap clothes a re rubbish... i got some great bits.

but why not speand more on something that will last longer or that you like.

its all about choice, and if the choice wasnt there people would moan.

i have a pair of jeans that cost me a fair bit, but ive had them 3 years and look as good as the day i brought them, yet i have brought cheaper high street ones for about 20 - 40 quid which have had to be thrown away after 3 - 6 months so which is more cost affective? :p

but would you then wear the jeans that havent worn out working on cars for a night out?

im not saying they wear out, but they start to look shabby, faded and just not as good, they get baggy and end up 4 sizes to big.

to the same note, i bought a pair of asda george £8 jeans which i have worn practically non stop for 4 months mainly because i like the style (irrelevant), the point is there is no wear, there has been no tear, they still look good, they dont sag or bag, and they havn't shrunk.

i got a pair of fubu jeans bought for me for my birthday by a very rich friend of mine, £179.99 the tag was still on the label when he gave them to me.
i wore them for a week, washed them, only to find that they had shrunk.
I then discovered that one of the pockets was coming apart at the seems.

Conclusion the £8 jeans are better made...

we come to totally different conclusions based on past experience.

i'd just like to note i didn't start this thread to argue, just to vent some anger at how people tell me i should dress and how society's "BMW effect" (thats an awesome phrase jug) forces people (consciously or unconsciously) to look a certain way.

as for "i think you`ll find the the non brand people are actually buying cheap rip offs of the branded things anyway, cos that what high street fashion does!!"

This is totally untrue, every season a trend is set and retail outlets and designers design ranges around them. the reason you assume the retail outlets are coping branded items is simply down, again, to what you have been taught about fashion. that branded products are the best and therefor anything similar is a copy.

i heard a quote on tv today that reminded me of this thread, it was on a look-a-likes show. where they make people look like celebrities. the make up artist said "you look lust like Camron Diaz" and the girl said "well actually i'm 2 years older than her so technically she looks like me"...

A more expensive item will look better for longer after being machine washed i.e. fading etc, all the cheaper clothes seem to be cut from this standard shapeless template which makes the stuff look hellish.

Liam

Not always so. The expensive items are usually made in the same factory and just have a different label stuck in them - a stirling example being my £6 Primark top that my friend paid £35 for in River Island, the only difference being hers was grey and mine was cream, worth a whole £29 for the dye job then?

As for lasting, my Primark £1 tops last wash after wash after wash ;) As do my Asda jeans (not that I buy the £3 ones mind, but still usually only a tenner) and most of the rest is just chuckaway fashion that will be unfashionable in a few weeks/ months so what's the point in it being built to last years?

Personally I don't care if people pay silly money for clothes, I just think it's funny they're taken in by the marketing :D

Hooray! :D :) :woot: :slayer:

... I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that "designer" stuff is a load of b***ocks and just a con to fleece people with more money than sense!

I have the very same argument with the lad i work with , he will come in after the weekend and say "o i bought some G star jeans at the weekend they were £100" am i meant to be impressed and say well done ????. Most i pay on a pair of jeans is £55 for a pair that are made in a prison by good ol' felons. I even went on a bargin hunt to manc last thursday to pick up some cheap lucky 13 and felon t shirts and shirts as they had been water damaged in a fire :D , t shirts should havee been 20 got for 10 and shirts should have been 50 got them for 25.

Although i did go mad once and by a shirt for 60 as it was a gorgeous fifties lounge shirt and in my size :) .

So people who like the nicer things in life are brand slags?

Well, what makes a designer label a 'nicer thing in life'? Isn't that just what the designer labels make you believe with their marketing? Plus it implies superiority over non designer label stuff.

look at the end of the day what does it matter how much u pay.. if u wanna pay a tenner fine... if u wanna pay 100 fine ... if u want 20 quid jeans fine if u want 200 quid jeans great... but what im saying is why bloody moan about about other peoples clothes. its pathetic. its freedom of of choice.

Of course it's freedom of choice, just like people are allowed freedom of expression and opinion. Normally animosity arises because people who aren't bothered about the whole 'label' issue get tired of the brand snobbery involved. I've seen people put others down for wearing 'cheap tat' and accusing them of being out of fashion just because their clothes weren't branded. And we've all heard of young kids running home in tears because their trainers didn't match the current 'in' brand of other kids and they were bullied as a result.

As the saying goes, "don't judge a book by its cover". Unfortunately the opposite is being encouraged with the whole brand label ethic. I can't see this ever changing while the power of the media continually dictates what we should and shouldn't aspire to.

Last edited:
the difference is alternative, you can get £20 jeans, you cant get a £20 remap, so from a consumer's point of view making the decision to buy is very different and caused by different drivers.

But you can, in fact it cost £zero, its the map the car has to start with..

Just because you can't see the difference in the jeans someone else can't see the difference in the maps. You know the argument, "the car can do the legal limit, why would you want more" etc

There are good cheep jeans, there are crap cheep jeans
There are good £200 jeans, there are crap £200 jeans
There are good maps, there are crap maps
It pays to check the quailty and shop around until you get something YOU are happy with.

Back