General whoops hit a big pothole

Currently reading:
General whoops hit a big pothole

hodgy

last night i hit a hole in the road. it wasnt exactly a pot hole but a hole that had been cut for dranage or what ever the road was shut off but obviously not good enuff as i wasnt the only person to do this.any way

my car now feels strange when steering left it is like it turns left sharp but turns right ok. looking at it there doesnt seem to be any visable damage to the suspension but the wheel does look like it is a bit cockeyed compared to the drivers side. there is a nice clean bit on the rollbar where it must have moved sideways a few mil. any ideas what i should do with this
also after the hole hitting my drivers side drive shaft is leaking transmission fluid slightly at the diff do you think the jolt it got would have bust a seal of could it be more drastic.

just had MOT just bought a 1242 engine then i go and drive over big holes
if i didnt have bad luck id have no luck atall
advice will be realy apreciated
thanx
forgot to say its a 98 cinq sporting

Last edited:
sorry to here about that mate, I'm not great with the oily bits myself but one of the first things I'd do is phone the council and get a claim form along with some quotes to get the damage fixed, I don't see why you should have to put your hand in your pocket because they can't put signs up right or cover holes. I started to claim for smashing my sump on my alfa but ended up getting gid of the car so I never bothered following it up.

that is actually a great idea from Benjammo!

the bump will probably have knocked your traking out of line, so the steering will be a bit off
i dont think getting a new cv boot and stuff done at a garage costs much really... all the oil came out of mine... led to the quick demise of my car :( lol

If there is damage, take plenty of pictures of the hole/damage and get in contact with the council. They should pay for the damge to be repaired :)

Last edited:
take Loads of Photos include a few shots with a national paper (keep it) in view (confirms date) and use objects of a known scale something like a coke can coins along with a tape measure to verify sizes incase they try and say you was using a joke tape measure or something similar

my seicentos been damaged by a huge pothole comming off a roundabout, ever since then the steerings been pulling to the right, unluckily for me, they repaired the pothole within hours of me hitting it:bang:

so its pretty impossible for me to make a claim on this one, if you have enough evidence, you will get something, even if you have very little evidence, if they have had complaints and claims for damages from the same pothole, you might get your claim delt with alot quicker. though you know what they are like, they'll always try to find a way out of paying!!

good luck with the claim!

Oh Yeh!
I know about pot holes also. Though I was very lucky, I was driving my wife’s 98 Sei down a local country lane and hit a large pot hole that was submerged under a muddy amount of water. I returned later to take loads of photos from all angles with a tape measure in place to show the size and depth, and location.
Next I phoned the county council (Hampshire County Council) and reported to them that I had badly damaged the rear suspension, tyres and wheels. I was told to get the car repaired and to submit the bill, with the claim.

I had it repaired at a reputable local garage (total £395) I then sent the bill into the council together with a form they supplied with loads of questions on how, where, when etc proof of the cars legal state, driving licence, insurance, mot and all the photos I took.

Within 3 weeks I had a surprise cheque for £395......... Nice result.:D And the car it as good as new, drives without fault.

Words of advice though, don’t over exaggerate your claim as I am sure they look into all claims with a fine tooth comb. Don’t get greedy, and be honest, and you should get your damage costs paid back in full. And in future "LOOK OUT FOR POT HOLES" little Fiats only have little wheels!!!!!:cry:

first of all thanx for all the replys
well i went past the place today and the road was blocked off properly and the hole was filled. I am diffinatly going to try and get the councle to pay but that will probably harder than getting blood out of a stone.but hit it hard enuff and it will crack.
im just not sure how to go about it now. should i take photos any way of the hole filled. i had someone in the car who said there was no way of seeing the road blocked or the hole.maybe try and get a statement from the lady in the petrol station who said afew cars had done the same that night. (if i start takin pictures the workers there might put me in a hole and back fill it)
as for damage i have definatly got 2 dented wheels
and a leak (not of the veg variaty)
so i quess ill have to get new wheels then go and see what the crack is with the tracking.
does the driveshaft have a rubber oil seal on it where it goes in the diff as i will try and sort that when i swop the engine or is it more complicated than that.
once again thanx for all the help

Back