Who the hell are all my new friends?

Currently reading:
Who the hell are all my new friends?

The Beard

Prominent member
Well, it's finally happened. I've finally given in and joined facefu.....or whatever it's called.

I haven't actually gone on it yet, but already I seem to have about 100 "friends". What's puzzling me is that with a few exceptions I haven't the faintest, foggiest idea who the bloody hell they are. Not only that, but I've only ever sent two of them an e-mail from home.

Not only that, although my e-mail address is obviously logged with facethingy I'm not using my real name. So, how the hell did they find me?

They shouldn't become your friends until you accept the request. Are you sure they are not just 'friend suggestions'?

And you will want to customise your privacy settings asap. As for people who you do know finding you, if they have your email addy, then they can search you via that.

Thanks folks, that's put a little perspective on the matter, but when I first registered, everybody I'd sent an e-mail to, even if they weren't necessarily on facethingy, suddenly turned up as a contact of some form.

I think I'll have to be ruthless in eliminating some of these interlopers. One question that occurred to me, is, are these people so desperate for friends that they'll make approaches to anyone? Or, is it that, as Eklipze says, they want to have a huge list of "friends"? Perhaps so they can tell other "virtual" aquaintances they have more friends than each other.

Last edited:
I am self employed and run an online business which means that my FB friends list is around 700 and growing and I only actually know a handful of them personally, the rest are clients, potential clients and other people selling similar services to mine who want to cross network.

Facebook can be whatever you want it to be, its up to you to tailor it to your requirements. Some people just have friends and family, some want to find old school friends and people they lost touch with others are using it to find women / men.

The thing is to decide how you plan to use it and stick to that, so if you are going to add the world and his brother dont go sharing personal info about you and your family / location etc.

I never post anything on mine that would be bad for business, (I am an author and I give relationship advice among other things), but I have seen others offering similar services who use FB like a personal dairy and document every drama in their life from relationship breakups to family members being arrested. People seem to forget that they are being viewed by total strangers and judged.

FB has its uses and I do get business from it but if I didnt I would probably not bother and I am forever dodging drama seekers and people who want to come to my wall and start acting out personality disorders and histrionics to an audience but I guess thats due to my line of work as much as anything else.

Totally agree with all of that fiona :)

I need to clear out my fb again, when I first started using it, none of my 'real life' mates or family were on there, had a clear out back then when people I personally knew started using it. But now I have old school 'friends' and such that I really only accepted out of guilt really :eek:

I could see the use for a buisness but not a individual. That said, the uni clubs seem to use them more often that you have little choice but to join.

I used to think that facebook was used by people who didn't have any real friends, by those who thought they were really cool, but in actual fact were really uncool. By the time I actually get round to deleting all the interlopers, being on facebook really will only be for people who have no friends - which means I'd better not delete any of them as they might be the only friends I have by then.

Back