Who here uses a Mac??

Currently reading:
Who here uses a Mac??

markoibook

I was just wondering (as an avid Mac user) how many people here are Mac users???

I for one am a Mac user - I have an iBook G3 - and am currently contemplating Tiger...

Marko

Woot woot - another Mac user - but surely there are many more of us sensible people out there!?

FlyAKite OSX, with a RK Dock

desktop.jpg

Ah - so you mean you use a Mac lookalikey for Windows - not an actual Mac Emulator!!!

Sensible? eh?

I argue 3 hours a day on average with my friend, an avid Apple fan (has a G5) who has been watching the counter for tiger since its release was anounced. A friend and I are looking to buy the book "MAC annoyences" to read one paragraph to him everyday.

Lol - there's a book on Mac Annoyancies???!!! Comedy!

Well your friend is obviously right - Macs are fab, though its true that you won't know until you try one.

I have, he sat me down for 2 hours.

The end outcome was;

The file system is better but hardly a surprise over stupid windows folder system.
You get some good photo editing software with it
You have to use office anyway for a decent software suite.
MAC will support HD (high definition) with tiger as will the included software.
Most things like the dock I dislike (especially the new widgit system on Tiger, it's a step backwards IMHO)
I found switching windows to be more difficult and closing programs takes 2 clicks rather than 1 right?
I found the lack of a second mouse button (using keyboard to get same functionality is stupid!) and the lack of wheel awful (He won't use anything but apple products and i understand that apple are only just bringing out a wheel mouse).
He knows how to use a computer yet he had a fatal error which meant reinstalling OS/X, great, except his G5 DVD drive doesn't have a button on the front to open (minimalistic and all that) so he had to work out how to open it first without software intervention. He held his head in shame that day...we all laughed :D

He's the MAC rep for my uni, well, will be after next wednesday I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/059600723X/positiontechn-21/ref=nosim/202-8721019-2711030

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/12/08/macannoy/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-1204

At the end of the day, you get little advantage over a PC, a fair few disadvantages and you pay one hell of a premium over an equivilent PC.

This topic always comes up.. and I personally don't see any reason for macs existence :p

I know quantity is not quality but majority of computer users use windows so when it comes to swapping or borrowing software most don't have a problem.

The good programs that are out on Mac are also out on PC so as long as you have a powerfull PC you ain't got a problem.

Windows opertaings systems don't mess up as often as people say unless they don't know how to use it properly and they mess it up, and the old tired excuse of, if it were made properly it wouldn't mess up is sill cause anything can be broken no matter how plain and straight forward it is.

PC owners got more Games :D

I personally think windows manages its memory much more efficiently then the last MAC OS I used which was later then windows ME, think it were OS 8 or 9, or 10 :confused: (I can check later)

Me brother has a MAC which he was using for his digree, but when he opened to many programs at once he got a message sayin cannot open program not enough memory, Windows tries a lot harder before giving up or crashing. but what was real silly is that even after he closed all programs and just tried to open the one, he would still get the same message.

and all the options which should be placed Taxonomically (near to each other if related and under the suitable headings) were not making you do this >>> :bang: tryin to locate them to fix any problems.

only problem is there are bare window haters out there who will send you a virus in your email I think they are mostly jealous mac users making them :p

I think we should all use windows for comedy value - the other day I was fiddling around with something and I was told "Windows has encountered a tragic error":D

We didn't stop laughing for ages

I normally use Mac's but I have to use Windows in work :bang: :yuck: :(

We've had macs about the house since 1985 so twenty years a Mac user its going to be hard to get me to change my mind now :D

We have a few old se's and an se30 from 1984-88 still working away as part of the family business, show me a PC from then that does not need command lines to work. Windows is nothing but a poor (and badly made) imatation of the Mac OS.

Back