Technical white stuff coming out the vents

Currently reading:
Technical white stuff coming out the vents

gaz.d

taffy git
Joined
Apr 30, 2002
Messages
17,331
Location
Wrexham
when i have the blowers on, white flakes come out of the vents, like its snowing :eek: - it also gives of a ****ty mould smell :yuck:

my water also dropped from Max-Min within 40 miles of driving, could this have something to do with it - the water seems to stay in the coolant tank unless it has been driven

i have stuck it back in the garage now cause the less i drive it the less things to go wrong :chin:

i have all my bits to get fitted and it keeps letting me down - i be loaded if it wasnt for a cinq :p :D

cheers

gaz
 

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
5,102
Location
Wales
My guess would be that you have a leak in your heater matrix. When you run the car, the system is pressurised, and it leaks. The coolant dries out on the matrix. Coolant usually dries white and flaky. Then you turn the fan on, and it blows out at you.
Tell me, how do the flake taste? :D (Note, don't actually try this Gaz!)
H
 
OP
OP
gaz.d

gaz.d

taffy git
Joined
Apr 30, 2002
Messages
17,331
Location
Wrexham
i couldnt help but take a mouthful when it blasted straight into my face, it tasted sweet, it tasted like antifreeze, someone told me to taste it when i was having coolant trouble with my sei
 

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
5,102
Location
Wales
gaz_wrexham said:
...it tasted like antifreeze...
Well that backs up my theory, but what I want to know is what actually made you taste antifreeze before? You do realise it's probably not the best thing for human consumption? :chin:
H
 
OP
OP
gaz.d

gaz.d

taffy git
Joined
Apr 30, 2002
Messages
17,331
Location
Wrexham
cause someone told me to do it on here :eek:

if it tastes sweet then there was no oil mixed with my water, only had a quick blast with a straw
 

CheeseMaster

New member
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Messages
397
Location
Over there
gaz_wrexham said:
when i have the blowers on, white flakes come out of the vents, like its snowing :eek: - it also gives of a ****ty mould smell :yuck:

99% sure this is a coolant leak. Check all water pipes for cracks, if you find nothing then crack open an egg into the radiator, and prepare some toastie soldiers by the vent then go for a spin. If your toastie soldiers get covered in egg, its not fixed, but to cheer you up theres a nice snack.

PS, antifreeze is the main constituent of wine available for consumption on Nile cruises.
 

HP

I was only doing 80...
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
13,429
Location
North East
Heater matrices do fail in Cinqs, think mine has a slight leak on it.
 

dave

******
Joined
Aug 10, 2003
Messages
125,247
Location
Essex/Suffolk border
gaz_wrexham said:
cause someone told me to do it on here :eek:
who would do a thing like that :eek:

just a taste wont kill you, i've got loads in my mouth from sucking out over filled systems before:yuck:
 

HP

I was only doing 80...
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
13,429
Location
North East
dave said:
....just a taste wont kill you, i've got loads in my mouth from sucking out over filled systems before:yuck:

With just a little imagination and manipulation, that could make someone a wonderful signature quote :D
 

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
5,102
Location
Wales
fixitagaintomorrow said:
With just a little imagination and manipulation, that could make someone a wonderful signature quote :D
I thought that too, but then I already have a gaz_wrexham quote in my sig! :D
H
 

JonnyBoy

Fat pigeon... APPLE!
Joined
May 29, 2003
Messages
4,990
Location
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Aside from the issue of Gaz consuming antifreeze... try adding Radweld to the system first; since the matrix is basically a small radiator then this stuff will more than likely sort it. (y)
 
OP
OP
gaz.d

gaz.d

taffy git
Joined
Apr 30, 2002
Messages
17,331
Location
Wrexham
CheeseMaster said:
99% sure this is a coolant leak. Check all water pipes for cracks, if you find nothing then crack open an egg into the radiator, and prepare some toastie soldiers by the vent then go for a spin. If your toastie soldiers get covered in egg, its not fixed, but to cheer you up theres a nice snack.

PS, antifreeze is the main constituent of wine available for consumption on Nile cruises.

does this egg thing really work :confused: , will it stop the leak or just make a mess ??

im gonna try some bars leak and radweld to see what will happen, but eggs are free courtesy of my mum :eek:
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
945
Location
Wirral
Sorry to here about the problems Gaz, but I couldnt help but laugh at some of the comments..... such as....

i couldnt help but take a mouthful when it blasted straight into my face, it tasted sweet

just a taste wont kill you, i've got loads in my mouth from sucking

Ended up crying with laughter!

(y)
 

Emm

Fiat Addict
Joined
Nov 26, 2003
Messages
3,548
Location
in,on,or lookin at a Fiat
gaz_wrexham said:
does this egg thing really work :confused: , will it stop the leak or just make a mess ??

im gonna try some bars leak and radweld to see what will happen, but eggs are free courtesy of my mum :eek:

yeah eggs work..well egg white. Its what people used before Radweld was invented ;)
 

Ged20D

Evil Shenanigans!
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
934
Location
Manchester
No way guys you have had me crying all the way through that your all crazy:D :cry: :D
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
gaz.d

gaz.d

taffy git
Joined
Apr 30, 2002
Messages
17,331
Location
Wrexham
so how do i find out where this leak is???

and his heater matrix, if that what it is an easy fix
 
Top