White smoke coming from engine bay

Currently reading:
White smoke coming from engine bay

gemmab2020

I have a fiat stilo 1.2 16v 52 reg - I posted on here a few weeks ago and I was advised that from my symptoms, my head gasket was needing replaced (milky oil, loss of power etc).

I have had the head gasket replaced, although the oil filter wasn't changed (I was under the impression that would need done). But since getting the car back, there is a lot of white smoke coming from the engine bay after the engine heats up. A lot of smoke! It's mostly noticeable when stopping at lights etc.

I spoke to the mechanic who did the work and he suggests that it's just excess engine oil burning off that was spilt but I have had the car back over a week now and it seems to be getting worse, not better. My oil level was low when the car was brought back but I had guessed he maybe had to drain the oil off and just didn't put enough back in. I topped the oil up a few days ago and will check the levels again tomorrow. Coolant is fine and engine isn't overheating.

I am not sure where to go from here do if anyone has any ideas, I appreciate the help!

Just checked the car again and I am fairly certain there is an oil leak. leak seems to be running from somewhere under the hg but I could be wrong. Would this be a new fault or a badly done job and the mechanics fault?

Doubt its a coincidence that someone done the head gasket and now its sprung a leak.
Check your oil level, and anti freeze level. Check the brake fluid as well. If any are low then Youl know which fluid is leakin :)

Any Oil emulsion on you oil filler cap, If head has been done then you could have oil in coolant, coolant in oil, coolent in cylinders, or none just a minor oil leak from head gasket, they may need to re torque head bolts? else get it back and tell them you want it sortin.:bang:

i would have changed the oil and filter because of contamination,no point in only doing one,any leaks under car/stains?any loud blowing noises like exhaust blow from gasket:)

I think you need to speak to whoever changed your head gasket and quickly. If no joy then its the citizens advice bureau. Oil should always be changed with a head gasket change also new anti-freeze too.

Back