Technical Whistling noise in 2nd gear?

Currently reading:
Technical Whistling noise in 2nd gear?

VinylHogger

Hi folks,

I have recently noticed a problem where there is an apparent whistling/whining sound which goes in tandum with engine noise.

This is only really noticable when accelerating in 2nd gear. It sounds very much like a go-kart engine if you know what I mean and is becoming rather annoying.

I suspect this may be to do with the turbo? I've had a search around the forums and found similar problems but not quite sure if this is the same?

Cheers :)

What car have you got? you should be able to hear the turbo spool when you accelerate "harshly" or slightly when you accelerate slowly

Good point :) I have a 1.9 Multijet Sporting. I can confirm that this definately only happens in second gear so I don't think it is turbo related. Seems to be more of a gearbox problem?

If you can think of the whining noise a go-kart makes when accelerating, this is fairly similar noise. This has only started in the last few days.

The car has only recently been serviced. It over 3 years old but is running on extended warranty until January so do you reckon this would cover this sort of problem?

God only knows where the warranty booklet is :(

noticed this with my 09 mjet but it's a really small whistle and have kind of got used to it, not overly concerned tbh, is yours really loud?

Yeah it seems to be getting worse. No such noise in any other gear, yet whenever I shift into 2nd, there it is :(

Back