Technical Whining When Gianfranco Starts in the Cold

Currently reading:
Technical Whining When Gianfranco Starts in the Cold

pedrocinq

Gianfranco
Hi,

when i start my cinq in the cold i get a whining sound that goes on when in low revs until things are heated up a bit.

I'd really like to fix it but no idea as to what is causing it...any1 got any ideas?

:confused:

Cheers,
Peter

If its while the vehicle is moving I would first suspect the brake pads, they may be seizing on a bit until they get hot.

cambelt tensioner, just done mine, very annoying sound tho , eh?

Jamjam has proberly hit the nail on the head, put a couple of drops of redex on the inside run of drive belt first, then a couple of drops on the inside run of your cam belt, if either of these are causing noise it will stop it.

Jamjam has proberly hit the nail on the head, put a couple of drops of redex on the inside run of drive belt first, then a couple of drops on the inside run of your cam belt, if either of these are causing noise it will stop it.

Never, ever do this. It'll rot the belt and, if it's the tensioner bearing, it'll not get into it (it's a sealed bearing). Oil and belts of any kind do not go well together.

Use a stethescope. :bang:

I can tell you two drops of redex won't rot anything! it will just clear any dirt and eliminate the cause from other noises. Been doing it for 35 years without a problem, if a little dirt is causing the noise this will stop it, if it does not, suspect the tensoner.

Last edited:
It will act like a detergent, it may only be a bit of oily grit traped in the cam tooth, or on the drive belt pully wheel. Beleive me if it is the noise will go silent within a second. Its not a permanent fix to any other problem its just a good noise illimination tool. I am not trying to **** on your parade but there is more than one way to solve a problem, even if its an old one like me.

If it is anything serious other than belt squeel it will not stop the noise, I have had people bring cars to me sounding like a field full of crickets on a summer evening. Matey down the road wanting to charge them 80 quid for a new belt. Ive done my trick with the redex and they have gone home happy as a lark with a quiet motor and 80 quid better off.

I bought a steath noise pick up probe some years ago, it was great for picking up bearing rattle and knocks, you could even hear individual injector springs closeing, it proberly works like your stethescope.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps very much appreciated.

OK so being as the car is on 77k without a change of belts I think I should probably change it anyway - they should be done around 63k i think?

Is it a tough job - I'm a Haynes two spanner mechanic! - or how much should I expect to pay to get this done locally you think?

How would I go about using the stethescope anyway?

Just either buy an engine/mechanics stethescope (they're less than a tenner -- Machine Mart, for example, do them) and use it just like a doctor, or get a long screwdriver, put the blunt end to your ear, the pointy end where you suspect the noise is coming from and listen.

For the belt change, it's in the guides -- change the tensioner at the same time. Maybe £40 to £60, but shop around -- it's much easier on this engine than many others, only real issues are with clearance to get at it.

ok cool - I'll order the tensioner in and get cracking sometime soon - i'll let you know how it goes - thanks.

Back