Technical Whining Noise??

Currently reading:
Technical Whining Noise??

neil-sri

Hi guys, just picked punto up from fiat after MOT worth £550 :eek:

However the problem of whining from alternator region still exists. I read on another thread that this could be the alternator and not the water pump. The sound being produced doesnt sound like a water pump to me as the the whining only exists under load!

If i'm correct, would this also contribute to the battery running itself flat from time to time? (or just need new battery?)

Cheers guys and girls,

Neil

If it is the alternator and belt that is the problem, i dont know of prices as i have never had to buy one either new or reconditioned.

Prices will vary so much though. Something for sale in london will be more expensive than up here in the north depends on your location

hang on a minute, you got your MOT done at a fiat dealer?
and you actually paid them £550?!

pay me £100 and i'll send you an alternator. the belt costs an extra £350 but you do get a complimentary biro pen with it. i can arrange fitting at your home for £2760+VAT but this is a one time only special offer as a new customer.

Last edited:
You don't say which Punto it is!

The likely candidates on a Fire engine are the alternator, the water pump and the cam belt tensioner.

To find out if it's the alternator (with a charged battery), take off the alternator belt. If the noise persists with the engine running, it ain't the alternator! (Simple, eh?) If it persists, grab a long peice of wood, a long screwdriver, or something similar. Remove the cambelt cover and apply one end of the object to close to the pump or the tensioner and the other to your ear. That should tell you.

Alternator about £20 from your local scrappy, cambelt kit and waterpump and gasket goo maybe £60 from your FIAT dealer.

Whats involved?

Hi guys, i;ve managed to identify where my high pitch squealing is coming from. It looks like i need to replace my tensioner.
Only problem is, I'm not 100% certain how I should get access to it, and what the procedure is.

Can anyone with any prevrious experience help?

Can we keep Punto stuff to the Punto section?

I'm getting tired of moving your threads, I'll delete stuff rather than move in future.

Liam

Back