Technical Whining noise from engine.

Currently reading:
Technical Whining noise from engine.

Barchaboy

Hi everyone,
I have a horrible whiney noise coming from the engine that gets worse when I depress the clutch. Could this be a clutch bearing that has gone? If so is this expensive to sort:mad: Would it be easier to get a new clutch plate fitted? Not a techy just an amateur so would have to take to a garage. Many thanks in anticipation. Tim

Hi everyone,
I have a horrible whiney noise coming from the engine that gets worse when I depress the clutch. Could this be a clutch bearing that has gone? If so is this expensive to sort:mad: Would it be easier to get a new clutch plate fitted? Not a techy just an amateur so would have to take to a garage. Many thanks in anticipation. Tim

Sounds like the release bearing, if it needs to be changed I would do the clutch at the same time and replace it with a black diamond or similar...........

Is the 'black diamond' a make of clutch plate? If so where Can I get one? Many thanks for the replies.

Always replace the complete clutch kit whenever one part of it is failing/has failed, it would be false economy to do otherwise. It is definitely your clutch release bearing that is on it's way out, it could last a day or it could last a year but get it done as soon as reasonably possible:)

Last edited:
Click this link for the Black Diamond Barchetta clutch kit.

Do shop around to make sure you get the best deal. (y)

Attachments

• blackdiamondclutches.jpg
    blackdiamondclutches.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 220
I get a whining noise from the passenger seat every time the speedo hits 90. When it hits 100 my right arm goes numb...

I believe the whining can be stopped in one of two ways:

1. Purchase of shiny things for occupant of passenger seat.
2. Cheaper option, turn the radio up.
3. Long term solution, place and fasten a plastic bag over the passenger seat and anything on it. Remove bag and contents after a few days.

Below is what works for me.

1 First record a good car enthusiast program on your Sky + box.
2 Make sure you watch it with the better half.
3 When the presenter talkes to one of the car owners and askes them how much time and money went into the build, when the reply comes $110000000speak up and say " See hun, I dont spend anything like that kind of money on the B! Really my car is on a shoe string budget compared to all these people."

4 She will now not say anything about you spending only £100 - £200 a month.

(y)

Below is what works for me.

1 First record a good car enthusiast program on your Sky + box.
2 Make sure you watch it with the better half.
3 When the presenter talkes to one of the car owners and askes them how much time and money went into the build, when the reply comes $110000000speak up and say " See hun, I dont spend anything like that kind of money on the B! Really my car is on a shoe string budget compared to all these people."

4 She will now not say anything about you spending only £100 - £200 a month.

(y)

Hmmmm, first issue would be getting the missus to watch a car programme, second would be justifying anything more than petrol (even if I were to compare my spend with that of a 20 year old footballer or record producer!!)............hats off for a lateral thinking approach though Doc!

She's not really my type and with al due deference to the Doc after eighteen years of marriage I know better than to get into a discussion about spending. In my limited experience it's better to trade on favours and compliments.

Play the long-term game.

On the other hand the Docs spent more on his car than me, so what would I know (mind you there's all my PC kit, PS3, projector........)?

Just remembered, got the OK for an LCD screen by pointing out how much neater it would make the living room look :)

Hi Barchaboy,

Just had my clutch replaced on my B for the same reason - whining noise that got worse when I used the clutch, to the point where I was starting to get embarassed and passengers were nervously enquiring whether it should really be making that noise. The clutch release bearing was the issue, as the others have said. Took 2 days and 400 odd Euros to replace the whole clutch. But the main point was the difference to the engine noise afterwards. Having driven around for well over a year with a whine (I knew I was pushing my luck on when it would finally give), to be treated to a gentle purr was like heaven. Fantastic.:D.

Unfortunately in my excitement and disbelief in trying the clutch, I stalled the B in the mecanico´s yard. He fell around laughing and I died of embarassment.

Back