Technical Whining Differential

Currently reading:
Technical Whining Differential

Rototype

Hi Guys,

Got an interesting isssue that appears to have popped up recently, it's not really a game stopper (yet) but just something I'm concerned about.

Since I changed the oil a few months ago I've notoced when i pull of anything other than gently there;s often a 'geary whine' - this only seems to hapen when I'm pulling off at an angle and not when the wheels are straight - this is leading me to believe that it's the Diff.

My main questions are a) is this normal and b) if it's not what should I do about it - wil it destroy teh Diff if I don't do anything about it or whill it last for a few yeats with little ill effect? (ie am I looking at a big bill in the next few months or can I defer it for a while?)

Many Thanks
Rototype

Hi Guys,

Got an interesting isssue that appears to have popped up recently, it's not really a game stopper (yet) but just something I'm concerned about.

Since I changed the oil a few months ago I've notoced when i pull of anything other than gently there;s often a 'geary whine' - this only seems to hapen when I'm pulling off at an angle and not when the wheels are straight - this is leading me to believe that it's the Diff.

My main questions are a) is this normal and b) if it's not what should I do about it - wil it destroy teh Diff if I don't do anything about it or whill it last for a few yeats with little ill effect? (ie am I looking at a big bill in the next few months or can I defer it for a while?)

Many Thanks
Rototype
Not saying it isn't the diff but generally diffs do two things, a constant whine that gets worse with speed, usually the diff bearings and a whine that changes by accelerating or deaccelerating like on the over run, if you know what I mean, which is usually the diff gears (crown wheel and pinion worn or out of adjustment)
If it is at very slow speed as pulling away , can you get a friend to stand beside to pinpoint where noise is coming from.
Apart from that a noise in a straight line that builds with speed regardless of which gear you are in, even neutral,can can be a wheel bearing or even the driveshaft support bearing on the side of the engine for the longer driveshaft.
All this is assuming it is a "geary whine" as you describe and not the common CV joint clatter on full lock in one direction.

I'm now coming to the conclusion the oil change has had nothing to do with this since as far as I can tell the engine and gearbox oils are separate. (did I mention it's a 63 plate 1.6 MultiJet? - It's a 63 plate 1.6 MultiJet).
My next line of enquiry is whether the gearbox oil ever needs to be replaced under normal circumstances - I can't see a service interval for it so I'm wondering if it's supposed to be sealed for the life of trhe gearbox? There doesn't appear to be any evidence of a leak but that doesn't mean that it hasn't had a leak in the past that was never topped up.

The oils are separate and different, I usually change gearbox oil around 60.000 miles
and it maybe worth at least checking the level, another thought is could it be the
turbo whining?

Back