General Which wires?

Currently reading:
General Which wires?

BenW

Former 999cc CLX Owner
Trying to wire up a new stereo and got a bit stuck on which wire to use for what

I need:
1) continuous power
2) switched power
3) switched illumination
4) ground

Ground is quite obvious an i think continuous power is the red wire that was already there (Old stereo stayed on without ignition on)

I think switched illumination is yellow (The one going to my ciggy lighter) but im stuck on switched power

Any help?
Thanks
Ben

No there is a switched power supply, I wouldn't put it on a permanant live as it will never go off and may light up when the car is parked getting unwanted attention. Off hand not sure what one I used but all the switches are on a switched supply use a multi-meter to find a suitable wire. I wouldn't use the rear window as there is more current going through it an may create noise.

Thanks Alan, its on a permenant at the moment but that did cause the front to stay illuminated so i have to take the front off.

Anyway, headunit and changer i bought have some problems so i'm awaiting a reply from the eBay seller.

The display doesnt light up on the headunit (Could this be my switched lighting wire?) and the headunit says 'press reset' when i select CD so i press reset and it goes around in circles

Well, seller claims it was fully working but i contacted the seller he bought it from (2 weeks before) and he said it had the disaply problem when he bought it but the changer worked fine.

So, need to try unplugging the changer then plugging it in again. It shows the error with no disks in the changer and shows the error with CD-R and genuine CDs too.

Seller just said i should dispute it through eBay if i'm not happy :s

Dont want to do that unless its totally necessary as its more than likely going to end in negative feedback.

Can you just confirm that the light should work if i connect the switched illumination to the yellow wire going to the cigarette lighter?

It should do yes, I used the wiring to the little bulb that goes on the heater controls but shouldn't matter. Got the PM & will report when I get a mo.

BTW if he tries to give -ve feedback because of a dispute you can get ebay to remove it.

Hes been very reasonable and left positive feedback regardless of what i choose to do. For that reason i've said i wont give negative feedback but we'll see what happens.

Apparently the light wire only tells the unit when the headlights are on so it can dim the controls so its less distracting at night.

Thanks for reporting Alan

BenW said:
Apparently the light wire only tells the unit when the headlights are on so it can dim the controls so its less distracting at night.
That sounds quite handy...

mine lights up when i turn it on, other than that it's just a piece of crap stereo ... amazing dsiguise!

Tony M said:
That sounds quite handy...

mine lights up when i turn it on, other than that it's just a piece of crap stereo ... amazing dsiguise!

Sometimes looking like a crap stereo is a good thing and hides what's behind

Attachments

• cinima9.JPG
    cinima9.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 10
  • cinima8.JPG
    cinima8.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 13
cunningly hidden inside a 7 series BMW :)... hmm i think they might not bother in the first place mate.

Back