General Which starter for a 1242cc engine?

Currently reading:
General Which starter for a 1242cc engine?

firefly

My firefly (panda based kitcar) is fitted with a Punto 75 1242cc engine, but the rest of the running gear such as the gearbox is from a 1l FIRE Panda.

The starter has packed in, and I need to replace it, but am unsure if I am best using a Panda or a Punto starter motor.

I think the current starter is from the Panda, but it seems to have had some material removed form the side all down it's length in order for it to clear the engine. This is less than ideal as it seems to have gone through the casing in places.

Any help would be much appreicated. :D

It's best to use a Punto starter to avoid modifications. If you use a panda one you will have to make the mod similar to the one you have or relieve the engine block. I'd go for the Punto :) cheers Damon

If it's fitted with a Punto engine you'd be better off finding a Punto starter. Plus they'd be easier to find in scrapyards, as Pandas are getting rare these days.

By the way, does your car run injection or carbs? If it's converted to carbs, how easy was it to do and which parts were used?

I'm thinking of converting my Uno to Punto 75 1242cc, but hear that there are problems using the 75 inlet manifold with a carb (it's a 'dry' manifold) and the stud spacings from the 60 manifold are different so won't fit :(

I've bought a new Panda one from fleabay for now. It's a real pain to change due to the Firefly bulkhead and battery tray so I don't fancy using a secondhand one from a scrappy. I'll just grind it down again. At least I now know a Punto one will fit the Panda gearbox (Thanks :D ). I'll get hold of a Punto one next time I come across one cheaply on eBay.

The car is running a single Weber twin-choke carb. It is fitted using a custom manifold that started life as a MPi blank (theres a reciept for it at some silly price). It was then machined and welded to take the Weber. It runs fine with it, the last dyno run saw 85bhp.

firefly said:
I've bought a new Panda one from fleabay for now. It's a real pain to change due to the Firefly bulkhead and battery tray so I don't fancy using a secondhand one from a scrappy. I'll just grind it down again. At least I now know a Punto one will fit the Panda gearbox (Thanks :D ). I'll get hold of a Punto one next time I come across one cheaply on eBay.

The car is running a single Weber twin-choke carb. It is fitted using a custom manifold that started life as a MPi blank (theres a reciept for it at some silly price). It was then machined and welded to take the Weber. It runs fine with it, the last dyno run saw 85bhp.

Do you have any pictures of the inlet manifold? And which carb are you using/ what's it from? What are you using for a fuel pump mechanical// electrical? By the way, that's a great power output considering the 75 engine was only 75 bhp as standard!

I am so tempted to fit one to my Uno :tempt:

I can email you photos of the manifold, PM me the email address you would like them sent to.

It's had a couple of carbs on it so far, I have a feeling the one thats on and that worked the best was off a X1/9, but I'll have to check the numbers on the carb to be sure.

The carb is fed by a Facet electric fuel pump, the distributor is a Panda one, but with a Lumenition ignition system on it. The exhaust manifold is a stainless steel tubular one that was made up especially for the car.

do you have any pictures of the firefly?
heard there was a kit car advertised on the news ages ago that was based on fiat panda, is it the same. email or PM some pics please

petebarchetta said:
do you have any pictures of the firefly?
heard there was a kit car advertised on the news ages ago that was based on fiat panda, is it the same. email or PM some pics please
it's the second one along on the signature image... fairly costly i believe, well more so when compared to a panda it's loosely based on.

Just waiting for my new starter to arrive now. :(

A few pictures of my car. It was one of the first ones to be built and ended up being a demonstrator car for a while:

FrontSide.jpg

interior.jpg

engine.jpg

Back