Which headunit?

Currently reading:
Which headunit?

I want a headunit to fill the hole in my brava, I won't be buying for a little while though :) WHen I do, I will be buying from ebay second hand.

I would like at least 4 x 40w output but don't require anything too special. I want it to look ok (not a fan of loads of flashing lights etc. or gimmicks). I have seen that pioneer do a steering wheel control, I like that, anybody know if it is any good?

I would go for either a single CD headunit or a cassette with CD changer. I am not very picky, I don't require mp3 etc. particularly so can go for older HUs.

Any recommendations? Cheers. I know I have written a budget but that's because I have plenty of time and will get lucky on ebay during that time with most HUs, but no more than £100. My last JVC sx-992r cost me £40.

paulbfd said:
I'd keep my eye out for a Becker Mexico Pro or a Nakamichi CD45z (one on Ebay at the minute).

Nice plain looks and excellent performers.

Thanks Paul, the Becker Mexico Pro looks too expensive for me according to ebay but the Nakamichi seems like what I might want. I am going to miss my steering wheel control from the meganes and lagunas I have been driving :(

Maybe I am wrong, a Becker Mexico Pro sold for £76 recently and it had DAB built in I think. Personally I like it looks, not flashy yet another auction says Aston Martin use them = must be all right!

personally wasnt a fan off the pioneer designed steering remote as it sits on the inside of the heel rim.
one of the reason's i originally went for kenwood back when there steering remote was on both sides of the rear of the wheel.
now been reduced to one and for me i find it fairly intuitive.

My mates mum bought one of those new mp3 type players where you can put a memory stick in the side of it to play your favourite music songs. Only spent 67 quid. Its one of those oddball makes that youve never heard of but i was impressed with it none the less

Thanks Paul, I really like the becker unit so will keep my eye out, car won't be on the road for at least 3 months at a guess :)

Custard: you would think so but take a look for yourself: (ended auction so expect to have to sign in) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BECKER-MEXICO-PRO-CD-PLAYER-AND-DIGITAL-RADIO_W0QQitemZ4607688928QQcategoryZ10408QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's not conclusive though of course :)

Apple: I want to avoid ones like that though, I would rather have a 3+ year old unit that is quality and looks plain that an all flashing and dancing brand new one :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The Negotiator said:
Apple: I want to avoid ones like that though, I would rather have a 3+ year old unit that is quality and looks plain that an all flashing and dancing brand new one :)

Well i only posted cos you said you wanted a new headunit and suggestions and cheap, so that is a good brand new bargain. If your'e gonna be picky i suggest changing the thread title to

'new headunit - actually a quality three year old cheap one'

:rolleyes:

I will even highlight a few key points from that post:

I will be buying from ebay second hand
I would like at least 4 x 40w output but don't require anything too special
Not a fan of loads of flashing lights etc. or gimmicks
I don't require mp3 etc.
Can go for older HUs.

Not once have I used the word "new" - you have made that up.

I am not being picky and I thanked you for your suggestion. However, as I mentioned, it is totally the opposite of what I stated I was looking for.

My sincere apologies i looked at another thread earlier and thought it was this one :)

Does it have to be second hand, what about if it was a really dead cheap new one???

Out of all theones posted id be trying for the Nakamichi headunit.

Nak units are regarded as one of if not THE best sounding units on the market.

Back