Technical Which gear cable is which?

Currently reading:
Technical Which gear cable is which?

adruss85

Don't touch those!
Had a look at my friends gear linkage earlier to figure out which of the cable snapped, but checking on eper it's not obvious which is which?

It's the one that is connected to the main lever on the gearbox that's used to select 1st/2nd etc. Is this "........775" or "........774"? I should've really measured the diameter of the press fit but i didnt.... 9mm or 12mm?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks! :worship:

mk2 punto yes?
the cable that breaks is the one with the plain balljoint on it
not the one that adjusts throw of the lever
i do these by sourcing a s/h cable and undoing plate under gearlinkage on tunnel popping cable off and doing same on gearbox
hardest part is screws in cover panel turn to rust so some need their heads drilling off

hope that is some help
i also found no difference in cable ball joints from any in the 8 valve camp

Thanks s and b.

It's a Mk2 facelift (04 plate). Do you need to remove the exhaust to do this? I managed to get the heatshield out without undoing the exhaust but i'm not confident of getting it back in, and 1 of the bolts joining the manifold/mid section is stripped. I got the plastic panel undone to have a look, but like I said, it's going to be the heatshield/exhaust preventing me from doing this!

Just spoke to Fiat and they say that the cable on top of the linkage on gearbox is the one with the adjuster? I presume this is the cable that's snapped as it will go into 2nd but not 1st...

Last edited:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/smartiesx3/IMG1285-01.jpg
(link just goes to my photobucket account so is safe to view)

the cable not on is the one that breaks
this is the one i got from a scrappy to take the cable off
it came off a 52 plate 8 valve sporting and went onto a 54 plate active
i paid £25 for the lot at the breakers
i didnt remove the exhaust i worked round it but do have the benefit of a pit

hope thats some help
they pop off but obviously you have to give em some so they dont fall off under normal driving

thinking on i did it this way so as not to take a manky exhaust off

Last edited:
That's the cable, but just so I get this right, what size is the ball joint? Is it the larger of the two?

sorry never measured it:eek:
im still a bit unsure why you need the measurement though as if you are buying from the dealer then he should know from the build date information on the chassis number

Local dealers know less than I do, when I asked them which cable was which they didn't know!

Anyway, picked up a cable/box from scrappy today and got local indy to swap them. Saved me hassle and getting under the car!

Thanks for the help!

Back