Technical Which Direction Should Distributor Cap Face

Currently reading:
Technical Which Direction Should Distributor Cap Face

1981 Spider- Had distributor replaced. Made sure my mechanic set timing with #4 cylinder top dead center. Got the car back and noticed the distributor cap with plug wire outlets facing at about the 1 o'clock position. All the pictures of Spider 2000 engines I can find show the outlets facing at the 4 to 5 o'clock position. Does the position of the cap make a difference. I thought I saw something that said the #4 wire outlet should line up with the #4 cylinder (which would be at about 4 o'clock). To add to my confusion my original owners manual for the car says you should set timing with #1 top dead center?? The car was originally a Turbo model. Turbo now removed. Don't know if that makes a difference. Really appreciate some guidance.

The distributor cap can sit in just about any position (as long as the engine is timed to that position), but that complicates the answer,...
The Spiders' distributor fits under the hood better when it is oriented with all of the wires pointed toward the front of the car.
Timing should be set using #4 cylinder (rear cylinder @ TDC - I know that's weird). Turbo, or not, makes no difference,...

Thanks Wetminkey I am waiting for my new air flow meter to arrive. I am hopeful that it takes the roughness out of how the engine runs. It gets a little better with every part I have replaced, but , still not right.

Back