Technical Which cone filter?

Currently reading:
Technical Which cone filter?

Would a cone filter increase the performance of my 20vnt? It is a standard coupe but has a square, flat metal air filter. The car is a little sluggish compared to my 16vnt. I have changed the plugs to bosch super 4's and have put new coil packs on. I have also used a fuel tretment to clean the lines etc but it still feels a little sluggish. Everything else runs fine but I feel it should be a little quicker than my 16v (wich has no mods at all)...If I get rid of the plastic filter box and piprwork and placed a cone filter on would it be more responsive? If so, which one would be best suited to this model?

Thanks

Don't expect much just by adding a filter. Obviously this will help the 2 litre lump to breath bit better. Ideally you want to add a s/s zorst & I think there is now a chip for this model.

You may well find it feels more sluggish with a cone. you'll lose some low-down torque and replace it at the top-end. I'd stick a K+N panel in your airbox for now, £20-£40. If it's feeling sluggish, Perhaps consider a G-Tec 1 chip, you'll need a boost gauge for this though. Or how about a re-map? I've got 50 extra horses for £175 this way.

I think its a non turbo 20v pinin_prestatyn.

Still I need to get my air filter tomorow and i was wondering if a cone filter is best type?

As above cone sounds amazing on a N/A you can hear the 5pot warble. On the turbo you get a huge whoosh and sucking noise as though small children and grannies will be sucked from the pavement and into the engine :)

I came in possession of a double mushroom filter, the foam was blue:D Cost me nothing, so....ach I would bang it on the Coop. The sound was amazing:cool: but it kept throwing up a maf fault on my widget. It seems the Coop didnt like the turbulent air flow caused by this system. Even at my age the noise was brilliant:cool: but I got rid & have used a free flowing panel ever since......

I came in possession of a double mushroom filter, the foam was blue:D Cost me nothing, so....ach I would bang it on the Coop. The sound was amazing:cool: but it kept throwing up a maf fault on my widget. It seems the Coop didnt like the turbulent air flow caused by this system. Even at my age the noise was brilliant:cool: but I got rid & have used a free flowing panel ever since......

strange... the cone filter I put on my 147bhp coupe did not give any issues and the new owner who I know still has it on has had no issues in the 3years. Although mine was a single cone, maybe the twin cone was allowing too much airflow :confused:

Last edited:
Yes you're quite right in saying a cone usually doesn't give any issues. I know many Coop owners who are quite happy with a cone, but in my case:confused: well I just didnt like taking any chances. As all we Coop owners know the Coop can be temperamental at times.:D

Indeed, for the money nothing comes close to these. Personally for what they are I dont find them that expensive. You cant really skimp on them & they are a bugger to work on, but even at my age every time I get behind the wheel of my Sprinty, I catch sight of myself in the mirror with a daft grin on my face:D I've had/driven many cars in my time, probably three figures (not all mine) This has to be the only one I can honestly say I get a bit that way in the stomach,( in a nice way) every time I drive it.:cool:

I've said so many times before, there are times I think of the money wasted on my of love cars, this is not one of those moments:D

Last edited:
At normal power,I would say that a cone filter adds some noise and that's about it.
When you are going for around 300 or more,I would have thought a cone filter would allow more air into the system and so enable more combustion ?
That's my way of thinking and I have read that a cone filter on a standard engine may decrease performance low down the rev range......again I am not 100% on this.

At normal power,I would say that a cone filter adds some noise and that's about it.
When you are going for around 300 or more,I would have thought a cone filter would allow more air into the system and so enable more combustion ?
That's my way of thinking and I have read that a cone filter on a standard engine may decrease performance low down the rev range......again I am not 100% on this.

Correct. I fitted a cone on mine and lost low end torque although the turbo seemed to spool a little quicker (although placebo effect probably). I went back to my drilled air box and high flow K&N panel filter :).

I have decided to get a induction kit when im running more power, for now im think im gona just get the high flow k n n panel filter like chrisuk.

Do you get the turbo sucking nosie as you do with the induction kits?

ill be using my cone but im hoping for about 280-300 bhp from mods:

Gt2860
FMIC
440CC INJECTORS
GTEC2 CHIP
D2A 305 pump
NGK IRIDIUN PLUGS
4BAR FUEL REG
3 INCH DECATTED SYSTEM
PORTED AND MATCHED INLET SYSTEMported and polished throttle body
Heat wrapped s/s manifold

Last edited: