Technical When did you last check your spare tyre pressure?

Currently reading:
Technical When did you last check your spare tyre pressure?

jrkitching

Staff member
Was giving the Panda the usual monthly once over today and realised that I hadn't checked the spare tyre pressure for, erm, quite awhile. Whilst it's not exactly hard to do, it does require the spare wheel to be removed, and I've usually got stuff in the boot, so putting it off until the next monthly check is always a temptation.

Good job I did check, since it had deflated to the point where it wouldn't have been usable in an emergency without inflating it. And the portable compressor that ought to have been in the car turned out to be in the house at the back of a cupboard behind some other stuff.

I'd have felt pretty stupid if I'd actually needed to use it in anger.

So I just thought I'd share my stupidity and give a gentle reminder to anyone who can't actually remember when they last checked their spacesaver that tyres do gradually lose pressure over time. And since it can't be checked without taking the spacesaver out of the boot well, I wouldn't rely on garages doing this when they service the car (although they should).

I'd suggest you inflate to the maximum pressure allowed for the tyre - this will be embossed on the sidewall - in my case, 41 psi. Also, don't overtighten the tool carrier when refitting, or you'll end up with dents in the sidewall.

And it could be worth not just having a 12V compressor, but keeping it in the car.

I have a 1930's touring guide to the Scottish Highlands which advises motorists to always carry two spare tyres, such was the state of the roads at that time.
What with the state today's roads are in I think that would be good advice for someone just running around town just now!

I remember vividly pulling the spare out my Swift in anger a few years ago. To find it was on 20 psi.. operating pressure for the small tyre was 55 psi. I had a single barrel foot pump, inflating it was far more of a work out than any other part of the process of changing the wheel.

If Fiat built Pandas that could carry a proper spare it would be nice. I used to have an extra wheel to take on long journeys but it takes up too much space so I rely on the space saver. I very virtuous in checking the tyres and spare very regularly. I borrowed my uncles car nearly 50 years ago and had to walk a good few miles to phone for help as his was flat. Its a good remonder though thanks.

Slightly different this from the OP, but how many people have their spare keys in a draw somewhere in the house. Not the best of places when you'r miles from home and lost you'r keys. There are ways to hide them on your vehicle for such emergency's
On the space saver wheel issue, depending on the size of the rim you will be able to by a normal tyre so you'r not limited to 50 MPH when fitted.

A very pleasant surprise with the Ibiza was that it can take a full size spare. Mine, being the Ecomotive version is on 185/50R15 tyres so same size as on the base model which comes with steel rims. So I bought a standard steel rim and one of my much loved Barum tyres and I was in business. One of the drawbacks with the Renault Captur (which is a car which is of moderate interest as a possible Ibiza replacement) is that you can only get a spacesaver to fit. This is a big negative factor for me, but still a lot better than many where no provision is made for carrying a spare of any sort.

A very pleasant surprise with the Ibiza was that it can take a full size spare. Mine, being the Ecomotive version is on 185/50R15 tyres so same size as on the base model which comes with steel rims. So I bought a standard steel rim and one of my much loved Barum tyres and I was in business. One of the drawbacks with the Renault Captur (which is a car which is of moderate interest as a possible Ibiza replacement) is that you can only get a spacesaver to fit. This is a big negative factor for me, but still a lot better than many where no provision is made for carrying a spare of any sort.
If I'm not mistaken the the space saver rim/tyre is the same size as the wheel/tyres fitted to my 2004 1200 Dynamic. Although I could be wrong which is not un heard of. :D

My 1.1 Panda has the original space saver, I had a puncture and put this marvel on the rear. the car drove worse wqith the space saver than it did with the puncture! I am going to put a standard tyre on that rim or just get a normal wheel as a spare.

I am going to put a standard tyre on that rim or just get a normal wheel as a spare
Standard tyre wont fit on the space saver rim.
So best to get a normal size wheel.

I ordered a full size spare wheel back in 2009 but swapped the tyres for 175 70 13 's.
This tyre/ wheel still fits in the boot.

Thanks. Ailurus Lapis

Different tyres should maintain the same rolling diameter so they should always fit the spare wheel space.
Yes, but the space saver wheel is too narrow for a 155 wide tyre.
You will also find a 175 wide tyre will raise the boot carpet a bit as the tyre is 20mm wider.
The difference between a 155 80 13 and a 175 70 13 is -0.52% or -3mm in diameter.

Thanks. Ailurus Lapis

My 1.1 Panda has the original space saver, I had a puncture and put this marvel on the rear. the car drove worse wqith the space saver than it did with the puncture! I am going to put a standard tyre on that rim or just get a normal wheel as a spare.
Ive just had the space saver spare on the back of 1.3 diesel (which now has 195 50 15 tyres) and found it worked fine. Obviously, I was not about to test it's limits but for basic town driving it felt fine. I used the same wheel on the 100HP when a timber lying on motorway took out one wheel and two tyres. It worked perfectly well for 30 miles of motorway.

Last edited:
Back