Technical Wheels Sorry to ask again!

Currently reading:
Technical Wheels Sorry to ask again!

Hi
The difference in offset adds to the deep dish look of the wheels if you get 14x7 wheels with the same offset that you already have,you will end up with the wheels you`ve already got.
Cheers
Adrian

AIJ29 said:
Hi
21mm should be the correct offset for those wheels nearly every german cinq runs them.Make sure your suspension is rock hard otherwise the tyre will make contact with your arch.Also to keep legal you will have to fit tyres that leave you with a tapered sidewall as fitted to all euro look cars.your tread musn`t stick out past the arch.
Cheers
Adrian
How much are these special tyres, take it they dont come cheap then.

The car chris unoman found had 175/50/13`s but on an 8"wide rim,stretching the tyre on would give the tapered effect.
Cheers
Adrian
P.s the cinq in my picture runs standard width arches

Theyre not really special tyres, you just need to go for the 'stretched' look.

If you use 175/50 13s (what was used in the link i posted) then the sidewalls will look stretched as the tread is quite narrow.

If you use something with a wider tread, the tread will stick out past the arch.

Mate if you go for wider rims you have to get different offset's.

The standard Sporting rims are 5.5" wide so I THINK its ok to go to a 6" wide rim with the same offset (29mm if I remember correctly), but any wider than 6" and you'll have to get a smaller offset to bring the whole wheel further out of the arch further, otherwise it will foul on the rear radius arm.

Remember if you got a 7" rim with the standard 29mm offset, the rim would be 1 1/2" wider than standard so that would be 3/4" more alloy on the outside, and 3/4" more alloy on the inside of the rim, meaning it would catch the radius arm.
But by having a 21mm offset, the whole of the rim is moved out of the arch 8mm, meaning that you have 8mm more space between the radius arm and the inner edge of the rim, Thus alloying you to fit wider rims.

I hope that makes sence.

Brian

AIJ29 said:
The car chris unoman found had 175/50/13`s but on an 8"wide rim,stretching the tyre on would give the tapered effect.
Cheers
Adrian
P.s the cinq in my picture runs standard width arches

I really don't think you can put a 175 on an 8" rim, I have 8" rims on my integrale and with 225/35 tyres they were a stretch & the guy fitting them wasn't enamoured by them, imagine a 175/50, I would think 100% no way! :eek:

Aaron.

PS DJ_Bucho read the earlier post this 29mm off set is an urban legend, read the information given on the side of the standard Cinq Sporting wheel, off set 30.5mm, I knonw is only 1.5mm but...........then added to the standard 3mm spacer on the front the wheels are actually 27.5 off set there! (y)

Last edited:
You can get a 165 on a 7.5" rim ;)

So 175 on an 8" will go (y)

Im just about to put 165's on a 6.5" rim, so i'll let you know how that goes :D

Screamingvtec said:
You can get a 165 on a 7.5" rim ;)

So 175 on an 8" will go (y)

Im just about to put 165's on a 6.5" rim, so i'll let you know how that goes :D

As i said, I've got 225/35 on an 8J wheel and they offer little to no rim protection and were tight. I believe that what you are doing & the suggestion of a 175 on an 8J wheel is asking the carcase to do something it was not designed to do, you will get no rim protection whatsoever, and if you think the tyre will be working to its full potential in terms of handling with the side wall stretched I think you will lose the side wall stifness that is needed to keep the tread section in full contact with the ground.

Only an opinion but try turning a corner quickly with nice wheels and watch the rim disintegrate as it comes into contact with the road, I've seen alloys do this on the track which are 7" wide with 205's! :eek:

I understand what you are saying yes - the rims will take a hammering, however on a cinq, its the only way of getting wide wheels on without rubbing.

I never said it was IDEAL for handling, the tyre isnt going to be working at its best.

165's are made to fit 5-6" rims, with 5.5 being ideal, and 6.0 being the max recommended by the tyre company.
However it will go on, and it is alledgly legal to do so (y)
Ive seen golfs with 165's on a 7.5" rim hammering round the track, if you are having a problem with the sidewall rolling THAT much with a 205 on a 7J rim, then the tyres are not at the correct pressure, or you need some stiffer sidewalled tyres.

I run 205's on 7.5" rims for trackdays, and had no problems with this. - I drive pretty hard (integra type R with a fair few mods)

248.1082.JPG

thats 175's on a 7.5 J rim..

You can see they are stretched, but they could stretch to an 8.

Good thing is the cinq is a light car, so would have the same loadings as a large car.

Back