Technical Wheel nut query

Currently reading:
Technical Wheel nut query

How much stud thread is considered 'safe' for mounting a wheel? With 50mm I've got between 17 and 20mm of stud thread inside my wheel nuts but am wondering if really I need to step up to 60mm studs on the rear as well as the front, of course that would mean the studs are sticking out of the nuts some what which means the closed nuts won't fit :bang:

Attachments

• DSC_0001_sm.jpg
    DSC_0001_sm.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 16
Engineering practice, when I learned it* said 1.5 times the thread. So, on a 12mm thread, 18mm is considered correct.

* Shortly after the earth cooled and the dinosaurs died.
Ive normally heard 3-5 threads must show past the end of the nut. I think thats what the MSA scrutineers check for too.

its very easy to get the 60mm, put them in a vice (in rags) and cut to length, then just clean the end up with a file / bench grinder.

When you do this, do it with an open nut on, it will straighten the thread when you remove it.

Done this on all 16 of mine and no problems.

Kristian

Ive normally heard 3-5 threads must show past the end of the nut. I think thats what the MSA scrutineers check for too.
I know all the MU and SU vans at work use studs and they're dead level with the end of the studs, also a friends BMW has open ended nuts and again the end of the nut is dead level with the end of the stud.

its very easy to get the 60mm, put them in a vice (in rags) and cut to length, then just clean the end up with a file / bench grinder.
If I was to do this I'd machine them off, but the problem is this ain't anything fancy and relatively rust resistant so will quickly corrode once you've broken the electro plating :(

Back