Technical Wheel Hub Bolt Stuck

Currently reading:
Technical Wheel Hub Bolt Stuck

Tried to remove wheel hub to check brake pads today.

One came off easily as normal but the other was tight, tried many attempts to hammer tap it loose but now ive shredded the head a bit to much that the normal 12 o spanner spins on it. I can get the U side of the spanner on but no luck with tapping it either.

Any advice on how to get this bolt out? If you cant what are my options? A complete new hub?

Probably me typing funny, was fuming lol.

Basically i took the wheel off on the back to check the rear brake shoes.

Once the wheel was off you have the 2 smaller bolts holding the one side of the hub on.

One bolt came out easy and the other didnt so i attempted to hammer it out with a spanner.

Wouldnt budge and now ive ended up shredding the head of the bolt meaning the 12 o spanner just spins around on it with no grip. The U side of the spanner still fits ok but i still cant get it out.

give it a ton of WD40 and maybe a bit of heat if you feel brave (WD40 is quite flammable)

if push comes to shove then a pair of mole grips and a bit hammer is the Haynes recommended method for removing stubborn bolts

to as a general rule hitting tools with hammers to undo bolts never ends well

give it a ton of WD40 and maybe a bit of heat if you feel brave (WD40 is quite flammable)

if push comes to shove then a pair of mole grips and a bit hammer is the Haynes recommended method for removing stubborn bolts

to as a general rule hitting tools with hammers to undo bolts never ends well

Will give it ago,

Yeah i wont be using no hammer and spanner again!

Back