Technical what's the difference in ecu's

Currently reading:
Technical what's the difference in ecu's

The difference I think will be the hardware. i.e. Chipsets. The M1 is only fitted to the Schumacher and Abarth (sport pack). M7 is fitted to the other early MPI engined cars.
Puntos run the M7 also.

Last edited:
jims car mpi?
Only cars with ME1-7 Ecus are Euro 3 engines, ie MPI.
Early Seicento MPI cars, S, SX and Van have the ME7.
Some thing like 2002 on some started having the IAW 4AF.M1 which I think are the Euro 4 ones in the early stage?

Last edited:
Only cars with ME1-7 Ecus are Euro 3 engines, ie MPI.
Early Seicento MPI cars, S, SX and Van have the ME7.
Some thing like 2002 on some started having the IAW 4AF.M1 which I think are the Euro 4 ones in the early stage?
Do you really mean "ME1-7" or do you mean "M1-7" as in IAW 59F.M1 to IAW 59F.M7?

The question I would ask is are they compatible with each other?

Yes, MF59 M1-7. Compatability depends on hardware and software. M3 and above may be able to use M3 and above code reader?
You would have to contact an ECU company for the specs..

Many thanks in clarifying the M/ME.

When you say "differences in the hardware and software", do you mean connectors and connector pin-out, and just general software upgrades?

I'm trying to establish if these can be transplanted from one fiat to another with a different "M" number variant?

Hardware as in chipsets/Microcontrollers. Both the ECU and Code Reader have to match from what I was told. I had an M3 model from a Punto unlocked to use as a test ECU. It runs my seicento ok, but with the injection light flashing.

Last edited:
Sorry for sounding thick, but what do you mean by the code reader? I thought the ECU IAW 59F was a standalone ECU?

The Punto ECU M2 seems to be more readily available than the the one for Seicento (M7) second hand and so rather interested in this.

The code reader is coded to the ECU and stores/reads the codes in the keys to allow the ECU to run.
If you get another ECU, you need the code reader and at least one key to make things work. Then you have to mess around with programing new keys to the same code as the donor key.
I would contact an ECU company for advice if your ECU is faulty.

The code reader is coded to the ECU and stores/reads the codes in the keys to allow the ECU to run.
If you get another ECU, you need the code reader and at least one key to make things work. Then you have to mess around with programing new keys to the same code as the donor key.

I can now see why I can buy a reset or virgin ECUs on the likes of eBay.

How do you reset a ECU to it's default such that it remembers the first time the first time transmission from the Code ECU?

Back