Whats the best ipod

Currently reading:
Whats the best ipod

Dobby

Barney, Dennis & Larry
Well my 6 year old has shocked me with the fact she wants an ipod shuffle cause apparently you can them in pink:p (i don't even know what they're for:confused: ) something to do with music i'm guessing.

Whats the best one to get for a 6 year old (and cheapest as i don't think it'll hold her attention past xmas day):D

To be honest i think a bog standard ipod would suffice as long as its pink :p

Just wondered what the toughest, longest lasting one would be price wise and if anyone has any links to any they would recommend

This is only my personal view, but I wouldn't buy a normal IPOD for a 6 year old. I have seen too many people with hearing problems caused by listening to music via in ear headphones. I think children run the risk of having the volume too loud without realising it, this is why a lot of the CD players etc especially made for kids are level limited so you can't get them loud enough to damage hearing. It's worse with the small in ear headphones as you tend to turn them up loader to mask any other background noise.

You can limit the level of sound on any of the ipod nano's, i would go for one of them with a protective case. The shuffle looks a bit limited as to what you can control etc, ie set for your child not to play with etc.

If I had kids I wouldn't spoil them with things like an ipod - let them enjoy their childhood with things like crayons and teddy bears - there's plenty of time for tech gadgets later on in life.

6 year old is like y1/2 and is wanting an ipod - man i wish i was that cool at that age.

the shuffles are good but i would worry about the sound restriction which i don't think the shuffle offers. you would need a nano at least. problem with the sound limiting as its as easy to restrict as it is to unrestrict.

as your worried about the attention span (i was taught age plus 1 during my education degree) isn't there a barbie or whatever they are in to equivelint for the job

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-FP3-Girl-Player/dp/B000RF35W8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/202-5514822-7105458?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1193088146&sr=8-4"]Amazon.co.uk: FP3 Girl Player: Toys & Games[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Mice-Hearts-Player-128MB/dp/B000AWVK66/ref=pd_bbs_9/202-5514822-7105458?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193088146&sr=8-9"]Amazon.co.uk: Mini Mice - My Hearts MP3 Player 128MB: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

http://portables.about.com/od/newsandviews/tp/topkidportables.htm

This is only my personal view, but I wouldn't buy a normal IPOD for a 6 year old. I have seen too many people with hearing problems caused by listening to music via in ear headphones. I think children run the risk of having the volume too loud without realising it, this is why a lot of the CD players etc especially made for kids are level limited so you can't get them loud enough to damage hearing. It's worse with the small in ear headphones as you tend to turn them up loader to mask any other background noise.
My mum was like that - I wasn't allowed a Walkman as a young kid for that very reason.

I would probably suggest the nano, as you can limit the sound level.

As well as downloading itunes (which I cant :mad: )download a file sharing program such as limewire, makes it cheaper to fill it with songs.

blu :devil: X1-9

If I had kids I wouldn't spoil them with things like an ipod - let them enjoy their childhood with things like crayons and teddy bears - there's plenty of time for tech gadgets later on in life.

Spoil her? the ipod is just the modern day equivelant of a walkman. It plays music, how the hell is that spoiling her???

I asked for the best ie, the hardest wearing, the safest not the most bloody expensive.

Get a Creative Xen or another make of MP3 player. ipods are expensive for what they are and can tie you to itunes and DRM. There are better MP3 players that do more for less money compared with the ipod.

Unless of course it's the designer image and brand name that is important to kids in the playground, if so you're gonna have to get the ipod...

I have an ipod nano and it really is an amazing bit of kit. There are loads of things you can do with it but way too much stuff for a 6 year old (i'm 30 and I haven't even got the hang of it all yet :eek: ).

If I were you I'd go for the shuffle. They're small, far less things on them to get broken ie screen, they seem robust and most importantly for any 6 year old girl - they come in pink.

Wouldn't bother with downloading Limewire as bludvl_x19 suggests as there are alot of legality issues and also virus/spyware issues.

I have a shuffle (in green) which is great for the gym and being out and about - c. £50 from Argos :) Clips onto clothes, no screen to break ... Holds 250 songs which must be enough for the average 6 year old :confused:

The best iPod is one that remains in th warehouse until the end of time. Or one that gets run over by a passing vehicle and never replaced or one that drops in the toilet or bath.

Don't do it! Slap her in the mouth and tell her never to mention it again, then wash her mouth out with soap and water then hold a really stern manacing look for 6 minutes and 17 seconds.

Problem solved! (y)

Don't do it! Slap her in the mouth and tell her never to mention it again, then wash her mouth out with soap and water then hold a really stern manacing look for 6 minutes and 17 seconds.

I do that daily just to keep her in check. Think she's becoming immune to it now :D

evidence
vital340-i5.jpg

Back