Technical whats the best air filter

Currently reading:
Technical whats the best air filter

blackeyedgirl

ok..so could anybody recommend a good performance air filter for a fiat cinq sporting 97, it has originally got the rectangle shape in, want the car to roar a bit, have i got to buy the same shape but k and n or can a cone be fitted? thnks

ok..so could anybody recommend a good performance air filter for a fiat cinq sporting 97, it has originally got the rectangle shape in, want the car to roar a bit, have i got to buy the same shape but k and n or can a cone be fitted? thnks

Most peoplr prefer an induction kit - which can be fitted if you acquire the black throttle body cover off an 899 cinq.

check the classifieds!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 'green' induction kit which is one of the ones that fit straight on top of the TB. it has a cold air feed but aparently it still isn't as beneficial as the type which ronnieronson is talking about which you place in a cooler part of the engine. despite this I've been impressed with it and the flat spot at about 2000rpm is far less noticeable

also, despite what people say it doesn't drink petrol in the sei (even with some wannabe rally driving driving lol)

I use a 'green' induction kit which is one of the ones that fit straight on top of the TB. it has a cold air feed but aparently it still isn't as beneficial as the type which ronnieronson is talking about which you place in a cooler part of the engine. despite this I've been impressed with it and the flat spot at about 2000rpm is far less noticeable

also, despite what people say it doesn't drink petrol in the sei (even with some wannabe rally driving driving lol)

I'm a big believer in cold air feeds - which is why when I bought the Sei I was well impressed to discover that underneath the passenger side headlight is a factory fitted intake which is hooked up to the air box.
If not for that then I would be fitting my induction kit to the Sei - but tbh it really doesn't need it - my first flat spot seems to hit at around 4k rpm in 5th at 80 ;) but then coming from an ohv 899 cinq to a 1.1 dohc mpi I doubt if I would really notice flat spots like I used to :p

Saw that last night about it being a twin cam or a overhead cam and thought that was a bit of a boo boo :p

They might have been pioneers in the 60's for DOHC fiat, but it wasnt present in the sei

Last edited:
lol sorry - my bad, meant ohc :p

we can dream tho eh? might be an idea for an engine conversion?
124 coupe transplant anyone? hehe :slayer:

just to clarify as im a girl and did not understand a bit of that..what exactly is an induction kit? is it easy to fit and how much will that set me back?

Induction kit is basically a tube that is 'tuned' for the engine. I'll run through some background to hopefully make things clearer:) :

Long induction passage (like a long tube say) = +torque, -horsepower. To an extent.
Short induction passage (say, a cone filter sitting directly on top of the throttle body = -torque, +horsepower. To an extent.

I say 'to an extent', as, with a filter sitting directly on top of the throttle body, you would need to rev the car to around 12,000rpm to be able to extract max horsepower. Therefore, for the rev range that we use on these cars (which is nowhere near 12,000rpm!), a longer induction passage is required to strike a good balance between HP (horsepower) and torque... an induction kit. The cone type filter on the top of the TB (throttle body) is not an induction kit, it is an air filter. There is an air filter on the end of an induction kit also.

There is also another downside to having the filter on top of the TB which has already been said. Heat rises and, being situated right on top of the engine, lots of hot air will inducted.

Hot air = less dense (less oxygen for a given area) = less power
Cold air = more dense (more oxygen for a given area) = more power

You need fuel, oxygen and a spark for an engine to run. More oxygen is therefore a good thing :).

So, another positive for an induction kit is that it situates the air filter in a place where there will be cooler air.

Now, arguably the best kit out there for the the 1.1 cinq is the GSR kit. It retails at £100 delivered, and it will give you a nice roar too. It can be found here:

http://www.gsr-uk.co.uk/engineering/pages/productsbycar/fiat/fiat_cinq.htm
Bottom of the page. Gosh I sound like a talking advert for GSR here, I'm merely a customer, and not paid to say this!

Alternatively you can try and make your own, I think I saw one in the classifieds not too long ago. Or on ebay the focus induction kits fit, I think. You would have to clarify with another member first.

If your just after noise and not too fussed with power increase/loss, then go for the filter option, it won't disappoint in the noise department!

HTH :)

induction.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The GSR kit is rated very highly by almost everyone and is proven to take away the slight breathing issue they seem to have at about 3k rpm

Not as cheap as many that are sold but does the job well (y)

Naked.jpg

got pipercross air filter bolts straight on Throttle body gives a good induction/sucking noise betwwen 2000- 3000 rpm
Only £72 including delivery :slayer:

got pipercross air filter bolts straight on Throttle body gives a good induction/sucking noise betwwen 2000- 3000 rpm
Only £72 including delivery :slayer:

Only prob with that is it's sat right on top of the hot engine and above the exhaust manifold unless it's shielded with a good air feed

I had the BMC CDA on my Cinq, very good but also cost 150quid and doesn't come with a fitting kit.

They use them on the s2000 Punto Abarth rally car so they must be cool (y)

The induction on the s2000 is totally different to the BMC CDA. I have some under bonnet shots made at one of the exhibitions when the staff was not prepared.

Back