Technical whats that dripping on the floor..

Currently reading:
Technical whats that dripping on the floor..

arc

this is where i stand
noticed when i parked up today some small puddles on the ground, looked a bit like oil.

Straight away checked the bottom end of the engine, was dark - so i just poked around looking for moist bits..

nothing seemed to be leaking. i just burnt myself on the exhaust instead..

anyway, just been out now to have a look. attached photos are in order of what i checked.

1> Sump, looks a bit lunar - but no leaks
2> Crankshaft seal - bell housing looks dented, but no - no leaks there either.

bit puzzled now. maybe it's not my puddle. or maybe it's fuel.. not likely - but will have look.

3> hmmm, that doesn't look quite right. time for a closer look
4> ooo look, can see the fuel dripping.. wait.. it's on the exhaust too.
5> oh dear. (n)

Attachments

• 1_sump.jpg
    1_sump.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 2_gearbox.jpg
    2_gearbox.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 3_tank.jpg
    3_tank.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 4_tank_close.jpg
    4_tank_close.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 5_tank_exhaust.jpg
    5_tank_exhaust.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 18
Are the last three photos your rear end area. eg fuel and rear axel?

Try this first as i think one of your brake pipes has a leak.
put your foot on the brake with the engine not running and the hand brake off. press hard. when you press the pedal a couple of times it should be hard as nails and if you hold it is shold not budge at all. if it does your pipes above the fuel tank are leaking and you will have to fix them.

if its not that then its one of these two things. if the photos are your fuel tank then it could be that the petrol is leaking out and mixing with oils and paint to make a thick slodge. (Unlikely. normally this creates a upside down xmas tree in cold weather).

If its not that then its goto be the inside of the cabin check all carpets for dampness. if the front carpets are wet its possibly the colent from the heater in the air blower.

I SHOPULD READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE I POST.....:bang:

If you have a fuel leak then you can take the tank off and have it powder coated as long as you seal it inside first. you can get tank seal from your local motor factor.

cant see it being anything other then the Brake fluid from the photos though

Last edited:
cricky, covered most ground there, only one your forgot to ask was, "is it raining out"?

Does it smell or taste like fuel

OOhh heres an idea, get a match! :)

i have dodgy brakes. i had put it down to a dodgy master cylinder.. bugger.

the fluid doesnt smell of much, again suggesting brake fluid. though i have recently had the fuel pump out, so was wanting to blame me not sealing the tank up again properly.

new brake lines is a tank out job aint it.. a kinda pull the whole back end of the car to bits kinda thing. :(

Your lucky I have just had to take the tank off and the brand new exhaust and the handbrake and all the covers off in my drive to do both rear pipes. and I couldnt get the bloddy old pipes out cos they were well stuck into those anoying little plasic clips.

Back