General What's my Punto worth?

Currently reading:
General What's my Punto worth?

JonnyBoy

Fat pigeon... APPLE!
At some point next year (probably February) I'm going to be starting my new job, which comes with a company car. Sadly this means I'm going to have to sell my faithful Punto :cry: (n)
One problem is that I've absolutely no idea what it's worth in it's current state. I've done quite a lot of mods to it, and I'd prefer to sell it "as is" than to put it back to standard and sell the parts seperately.

The basic car is a 1994 L-plate Punto 55SX 3-door. It's metallic red, black bumpers, and has just passed the 86,000 mile mark. The standard SX spec is as follows...
Electric windows
Height-adjustable driver's seat
Adjustable steering wheel
Rev counter
Temperature gauge (the S didn't even have one!)
Front foglights
4-speaker RDS radio/cassette
60/40 split folding rear seat

It's generally in good condition and drives perfectly. I've had the Punto since May 2002 and in that time I've done 28,000 miles in it. I've given it a service every 6 months (roughly every 8-9000 miles), and most of the braking components (discs, drums, pads, shoes, handbrake cables, some of the pipes) have been replaced in the last 12 months.

It does have a few imperfections though...

(1) The bodywork has a few dents and scratches. Nothing major, and certainly no rusty bits, but it's not immaculate. The pictures in my gallery will give you a better idea.
(2) The passenger door lock was broken into a while ago and so I've filled in the damaged lock barrel with "Devcon Steel Putty". Which means that the lock can't be operated from outside using the key, however the door handle works normally, and it can be locked/unlocked using the internal lock button, or via the central locking.
(3) The exhaust tailpipe has been welded on recently; it's MoT worthy but a little noisier than normal.
(4) There is a small crack in the top corner of the windscreen, which is covered by a plain black sunstrip and hence doesn't come under scrutiny at MoT's :)
(5) The rear jacking points in the floorpan have been welded to sort out corrosion damage. They are now as good as new, and the rest of the floorpan is solid.

As for mods... it's quite a long list. Cosmetic stuff first...

(1) Punto GT2 5-spoke alloys, resprayed metallic black in summer 2004 and fitted with brand new Avon ZV3 185/55/14" tyres all round at the same time. These tyres are still in excellent condition; they have done less than 8000 miles and cost me over £200! :eek:
(2) Standard taillights, tinted black in line with the car's windows (see photos in my gallery). The tints are completely legal as the reflectors remain untinted and the tint itself is quite light.
(3) Smoked side repeaters (and stadard clear front indicators)
(4) "55" badges removed from front wings
(5) "Fiat" and "Punto" badges on tailgate and bonnet resprayed black
(6) Black vinyl covering on the door pillars a la Sporting/GT models
(7) Plain black sunstrip on windscreen
(8) Osram Silverstar xenon headlight bulbs

Engine mods...

(1) K&N 57i cone-type induction kit with cold-air feed
(2) Enlarged 40mm throttle body
(3) Exhaust de-cat pipe

Interior mods...

(1) Punto GT centre console and leather gear gaiter
(2) JBL 6.5" component speakers fitted in rear trim panels, with crossovers behind perspex windows
(3) Pair of 1" dome-type tweeters mounted on dashboard

Other mods...

Punto ELX front and rear anti-roll bars (standard SX spec lacks these)

Also included with the car are most of the standard parts that have been replaced - a 30mm throttle body, the catalytic converter, the original airbox and filter, and the original 13" steel wheels fitted with four 165/65/13" Vredestein T-trac tyres - all of which have loads of tread on them.

If anyone can give me a reasonable estimate of how much I can sell the car for, I'd be grateful (y) and if anyone might be interested in buying the beast, let me know :)

Edit: it should also have a GT steering wheel soon, when it arrives :)

Last edited:
uno_94 said:
anyway, your not allowed to sell it :nono: you have got to keep it! :D its so :yum: your punto, its just got to be the best mk1 on the forum! (y) (apart from hendy's abarth!!!)

I know dude :( I'm gutted I've got to sell it :cry: it's my baby! The beast has done me proud for nearly 4 years and I still love driving it... but I haven't got room for 3 cars.

I'm making sure it goes to a good home though... if I don't like the buyer then they ain't having my Punto!!! Two of my mates are interested but one of 'em hasn't passed even her test yet and the other lives in a ghetto... not my definition of a good home for my car :eek:

By the way, no worries 'bout the steering wheel, just thought i oughta mention it in the ad as it might add a few £ to the cars value (y)

So by the responses so far, I'll advertise it at £700 and see what offers I get... Dave, for £10 I'll send you a signed photo of the car and nothing more!! :p :D

Last edited:
punto_jr_sx75 said:
Sounds spot on, maybe £750 IMO, then buyers can bring you down a little less if they have to

Yeah, I reckon £750 would be about right, then there's a bit of haggle room (y)
can't believe i've got to part with it though

:( Its such a shame, if the capri didnt look fairly smart then i would've said get rid of that but i suspect because of this reason, you wouldnt want to part with it. Im not a fan of fords having worked on them since i was 13 but the old ones have a reason for going wrong - age:p and my dad hates them lol but has a soft spot for the capris as he owned 7, all the 2.8i ones and then 2, 3.2ltr ones i believe is it?

It was a bloody hard decision, but the Capri is nowhere near finished whereas there's not a lot more I want to do with the Punto. Also, the Punto is my everyday car and the Capri is more of a weekend toy; the company car will become my everyday machine so the Punto wouldn't get much use. Although I know that I'll miss it's rev-happy motor and nifty handling :eek:

I'm pretty sure there was never a 3.2 Capri, but it was quite common for owners to have their 3.0 (Essex engine) bored out to 3100cc. The 3.0 Essex motor was replaced by the 2.8 Cologne unit in the early 80's, this was later fitted with mechanical injection in the 2.8i :)

My dad will just have had the 3ltr version, he used to take the engine out and polish the bays every other month. whilst he cleaned the eniogne and polished parts etc, my mum would detail the bay :p Apparently they were the first people in cumbria to have a capri when they came out, around the 200th in the U.K. and two weks after they bought their first my dad (spray painter by preofession then) sprayed it black with a thin holographic stripe down it :eek: looks cool in the photos

Aside my dads hair... which he doesnt have now :p

dave said:
why not get rid of the crapi instead? :(

See about 3 posts back... ;)

JonnyBoy said:
It was a bloody hard decision, but the Capri is nowhere near finished whereas there's not a lot more I want to do with the Punto. Also, the Punto is my everyday car and the Capri is more of a weekend toy; the company car will become my everyday machine so the Punto wouldn't get much use.

Plus it'll cost less to keep the Capri insured as its on classic insurance :)

JonnyBoy said:
I'm pretty sure there was never a 3.2 Capri, but it was quite common for owners to have their 3.0 (Essex engine) bored out to 3100cc. The 3.0 Essex motor was replaced by the 2.8 Cologne unit in the early 80's, this was later fitted with mechanical injection in the 2.8i :)

there was a 3.1 savage engine that you could get new from ford, fitted to what ever you wanted if you had the money

Back