What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

We have a road that's two lanes both ways past the dog and cat home and along the front past all the car sales rooms at Seafield to the traffic lights where the old Portobello power station and outdoor pool used to be. It goes from a 30 to a 40 limit just as you approach the dog and cat home and is than 40 all the way along the front and out of town, ultimately becoming the main A1 south. You often get someone sitting in the outside at 30mph all the way along this stretch. I don't undertake as I'm never in that much of a hurry but many do. What many of these folk don't seem to know is that, when you get to the end where you can turn off left to go into Portobello town, the main "drag" actually continues on through the lights as two lanes before narrowing to one lane a few hundred yards later where there's a pedestrian crossing. So, typically you will get a great queue of vehicles in the outside lane - lights now being red - having piled up behind the numpty who was going at 30 in the 40 with maybe only a couple of cars in the inside lane. I, because I've not been "joining in" with the outside lane pushers, can then cruise up in the inside lane, undertaking maybe a dozen vehicles sometimes - which are stationary in the outside lane - so that I'm near the head of the queue again when we all move off on the green light. I don't get aggressive with anyone who wants to contest road space, although it's meant to be "merge in turn", letting the guy outside me go ahead if he/she wants too, and I'm often still ending up at least a half dozen cars ahead of the guys who were getting all hot and bothered in the outside lane all the way along the front!

Last edited:
Like you, any such situation needs to be managed, to avoid the idiots getting themselves into trouble, at least whilst in sight.
When I was running a liveried school car, I was occasionally targeted by youngsters, seeming to want a race. Why they would try to take on someone with obvious skills is a mystery. Had a couple of occasions where I was just heading home, briskly, and became aware fo a following car getting out of shape trying to keep up. Had to pull over and let them go, before they crashed.

When I had a 750 Classic Panda, people would challenge it at traffic lights. Why? The 750 badge on the tailgate was quite large. Whilst brisk up to 25mph, speed increase after that was only adequate.

Did they think the Panda had 750bhp ?
That's a frightening thought. That little square box with that much power would be terrifying. Keeping it on the ground, and pointing in the desired direction, would be a serious challenge. Its 34hp was adequate. The 1000, with a heady 45hp was enough most of the time. The very last had the 1100 54hp motor, they should have been very nice, but rare in the UK. 750hp makes me shudder, thanks for the idea, I'm going for a lie down.

That's a frightening thought. That little square box with that much power would be terrifying. Keeping it on the ground, and pointing in the desired direction, would be a serious challenge. Its 34hp was adequate. The 1000, with a heady 45hp was enough most of the time. The very last had the 1100 54hp motor, they should have been very nice, but rare in the UK. 750hp makes me shudder, thanks for the idea, I'm going for a lie down.
I had the 45bhp Uno....the thought of the turbo was bad enough, nevermind a 750bhp Panda.

It was an interesting vehicle..135 section tyres...which I'd bought for 15 quid a corner new. A combination that could produce extreme understeer or oversteer.

Just what my freshly printed drivers license needed..the 135s didn't last a month before a set of Michelin 155s replaced them after a few interesting moments.

Brand new Ladas on Russian tyres used to be fun working at the dealers, going into a corner you learnt "cadence" braking before everyone got spoilt with ABS and ESP etc., also as a youngster I had a Ford Zephyr V6 on 6.70 x13 remould crossply tyres (all I could afford), in the rain I practiced drifting 40 years before the current crop of Drifters!;)

Brand new Ladas on Russian tyres used to be fun working at the dealers, going into a corner you learnt "cadence" braking before everyone got spoilt with ABS and ESP etc., also as a youngster I had a Ford Zephyr V6 on 6.70 x13 remould crossply tyres (all I could afford), in the rain I practiced drifting 40 years before the current crop of Drifters!;)
I'm of the opinion ABS and ESP etc are decorative mainly..the thing that has made the difference is tyres, specifically the sheer size and compound.

Example I always think of is a Corsa SRI hire car I had years ago, it had I think 90 horsepower, it was on 215 section continental soft compound sports tyres.

I ran it over a pass from the lakes at a pace that caused a gentleman I was having some games with in a Passat CC to nearly leave the road backwards attempting to pull distance and was saved by his electronics. At no point did the ESP, ABS or TCS in the Corsa activate.

My point most cars at normal speed now have entirely too much tyre for the available power, the only time you get intervention is by driving like an absolute hoop. In the case of the Passat he went far to fast into a tightening corner, lifted and braked. I knew the corner tightened so had dropped back.

But if you're just driving like a normal person...you'll never see the esp or abs activate as the limits are so high that within reason on a none high performance car the chassis will just deal.

(Yes, there is a theme of using small hatchbacks to annoy people in semi-prestige cars on Cumbrian/Durham roads..but they are usually the ones who are both determined not to be overtaken and are slow enough for it to be a possibility).

I'm of the opinion ABS and ESP etc are decorative mainly..the thing that has made the difference is tyres, specifically the sheer size and compound.

Example I always think of is a Corsa SRI hire car I had years ago, it had I think 90 horsepower, it was on 215 section continental soft compound sports tyres.

I ran it over a pass from the lakes at a pace that caused a gentleman I was having some games with in a Passat CC to nearly leave the road backwards attempting to pull distance and was saved by his electronics. At no point did the ESP, ABS or TCS in the Corsa activate.

My point most cars at normal speed now have entirely too much tyre for the available power, the only time you get intervention is by driving like an absolute hoop. In the case of the Passat he went far to fast into a tightening corner, lifted and braked. I knew the corner tightened so had dropped back.

But if you're just driving like a normal person...you'll never see the esp or abs activate as the limits are so high that within reason on a none high performance car the chassis will just deal.

(Yes, there is a theme of using small hatchbacks to annoy people in semi-prestige cars on Cumbrian/Durham roads..but they are usually the ones who are both determined not to be overtaken and are slow enough for it to be a possibility).
Local knowledge helps, I recall on holiday in the 1970s with a Mk3 Ford Cortina in the French Alps being passed on a bend by a 2CV. Oh the shame! ;)
Two ex wives and five children so I have never been able to afford holidays like that since!

Local knowledge helps, I recall on holiday in the 1970s with a Mk3 Ford Cortina in the French Alps being passed on a bend by a 2CV. Oh the shame! ;)
Two ex wives and five children so I have never been able to afford holidays like that since!

Seem to recall my Dad went on holiday in similar time period.. he told me of driving past a house with a 2cv protruding from an upstairs window after it had left a hairpin bend significantly further up the hill.

"When in doubt flat out" would be a decent summation of the opinion he held of 2cv drivers..

To be fair in the modern era "sat nav pace notes" are a thing. I.e. increase the zoom on your satnav so on the straighter sections you can see if after this crest the road goes left or right and if the next corner tightens out of sight etc.

Not that I would ever use or encourage such things..terrible practice given tractors do not appear on your satnav.

Have been watching “James May Our man in Italy” which is a simple enjoyable program, it’s a shame there isn’t more Tv like this. James may touring around Italy looked at all the things the country has to offer. No one gets voted off, no one goes out of their way to upset or annoy anyone else, usually james may is the target of the locals banter. Even then it seems everyone is having fun.

Very much recommend if you have Amazon Prime

Have been watching “James May Our man in Italy” which is a simple enjoyable program, it’s a shame there isn’t more Tv like this. James may touring around Italy looked at all the things the country has to offer. No one gets voted off, no one goes out of their way to upset or annoy anyone else, usually james may is the target of the locals banter. Even then it seems everyone is having fun.

That's a shame as I think I'd enjoy that program - we've only got freesat though.

I watched the Japanese version previously it's canny not found the time for Italy yet.

One of those similar to Clarksons farm where it seems more watchable than the forced cocking about of the Grand Tour. Clarkson is still an oaf...but at least the rest of the "cast" treat him as such.

I took the grandsons off-roading with their E-ATVs yesterday. As the bigger ATV isn't quite ready yet, I rode one of my French abominations. I have two of these. It was faster than the black rig but much slower than the green one.
KIMG0192.JPG

I entered the yellow thing in a car and motorcycle show years ago. I was put next to a seventies Ford Mustang. Because the yellow things are rarely seen over here, it drew enough of a crowd that the Mustang owner asked the show promoter to move me so people would look at his car. What a putz!

Like you, any such situation needs to be managed, to avoid the idiots getting themselves into trouble, at least whilst in sight.
When I was running a liveried school car, I was occasionally targeted by youngsters, seeming to want a race. Why they would try to take on someone with obvious skills is a mystery. Had a couple of occasions where I was just heading home, briskly, and became aware fo a following car getting out of shape trying to keep up. Had to pull over and let them go, before they crashed.

When I had a 750 Classic Panda, people would challenge it at traffic lights. Why? The 750 badge on the tailgate was quite large. Whilst brisk up to 25mph, speed increase after that was only adequate.
750 Horse power in a Panda..... Wow!

Panda TA 4x4. 390 miles 45.6mpg. I now can say that if you run the TA at totally full-chat its actually just as econiomical as when you plod along how this can be I have no idea but it is. No yellow crap in my oil filler today! I believe this was an Italian service?

Interestingly my Mrs was sitting next to me and when I asked how fast we were going she said 60?? I think we had 5300rpm for about 8 miles and it clearly was not going to give any more. I declare it run in.

I am wondering if I remove the prop and rear drive if I could add batteries, and an electric motor from, say a Tesla, and power the back axle electrically. Could this be the most perfect idea ever? A 500HP Panda just what the world needs.......

Panda TA 4x4. 390 miles 45.6mpg. I now can say that if you run the TA at totally full-chat its actually just as econiomical as when you plod along how this can be I have no idea but it is. No yellow crap in my oil filler today! I believe this was an Italian service?

Interestingly my Mrs was sitting next to me and when I asked how fast we were going she said 60?? I think we had 5300rpm for about 8 miles and it clearly was not going to give any more. I declare it run in.

I am wondering if I remove the prop and rear drive if I could add batteries, and an electric motor from, say a Tesla, and power the back axle electrically. Could this be the most perfect idea ever? A 500HP Panda just what the world needs.......

I feel like it would do wheel stands/fire the gearbox into orbit 🤣

Filled mine up yesterday, given the "fully lit" driving style during "testing" I was happy with 40.5, managed 380 miles as bigger tank 😉

Think we shall declare testing over before I park it in a tree or annoy someone. It was fun...but we shall be returning to bimbling about.

Panda TA 4x4. 390 miles 45.6mpg. I now can say that if you run the TA at totally full-chat its actually just as econiomical as when you plod along how this can be I have no idea but it is.

Filled mine up yesterday, given the "fully lit" driving style during "testing" I was happy with 40.5, managed 380 miles as bigger tank 😉
Many years ago, my mother had a Morris 2200. (1800 landcrab, but with a cast iron 6cyl across the front. Straight line, huge never-ending torque, corners, needed planning) That did a steady 22mpg, regardless of driving style. So bimbling around for no benefit didn't happen. Dad had a Stag for years. (It is still gently deteriorating in a garage in Bristol - need to shft it on) Driven gently, occasionally up to 25mpg. Driven normally, 22mpg. Driven enthusastically, 21mpg. Rarely driven gently.

The TA seems capable of good mpg figures, but may be hard work to achieve that, as it encourages brisker travel, with plummeting figures. The old FIRE just gives good economy regardless, so still proved better overall. Unless you wanted to go really briskly. My 60hp Panda returns a steady 50-52mpg, although brisk performance is not on the agenda. More accelerator just alters the noises made. My more modern Fabia, 1.2 direct injection, returns mid 50's on most journeys, including long motorway runs. Driven briskly, I have dropped it to 45mpg.

Many years ago, my mother had a Morris 2200. (1800 landcrab, but with a cast iron 6cyl across the front. Straight line, huge never-ending torque, corners, needed planning) That did a steady 22mpg, regardless of driving style. So bimbling around for no benefit didn't happen. Dad had a Stag for years. (It is still gently deteriorating in a garage in Bristol - need to shft it on) Driven gently, occasionally up to 25mpg. Driven normally, 22mpg. Driven enthusastically, 21mpg. Rarely driven gently.

The TA seems capable of good mpg figures, but may be hard work to achieve that, as it encourages brisker travel, with plummeting figures. The old FIRE just gives good economy regardless, so still proved better overall. Unless you wanted to go really briskly. My 60hp Panda returns a steady 50-52mpg, although brisk performance is not on the agenda. More accelerator just alters the noises made. My more modern Fabia, 1.2 direct injection, returns mid 50's on most journeys, including long motorway runs. Driven briskly, I have dropped it to 45mpg.
It all depends on set up the puretech isn't set up to be revved out really. Don't think the TA is either modern light pressure turbos tend to be more like a diesel. Not driven a Vag TSI to comment.

Dyno wise...someone did before and afters for a tune (it was on 99 octane E5 not the E10 the official 108 is on.)

Citroen_C3_1.2THP_Puretech_110hp_etuners_stage1_dynoplot.jpg

Anything over 3500 rpm and you're just making more noise and increasing pumping/friction losses so lowering efficiency.

If you drive 1500-3500 but use wide open throttle when appropriate it's pretty much as fast going flat out which is what "bimbling about" tends to entail. Driven like that mid 40s round the doors, 50 with a run.

The issue I was having was that in high load times at different points in the rev band it was misfiring. Hence using a wide range of high load situations to test it...honestly officer.

For the performance available the economy is good in my opinion driving hard does affect it but a 1.2 NA or 1.0t cannot touch the torque figures, even if in terms of headline power they may get closer.

When I had the 100bhp NA 1.5 Suzuki it would drop into the mid 30s given a similar jaunt over the same roads while being slower. When had a 16v Punto that did about 39 as well.

Brought this home from Wisconsin yesterday.
4yzyO6Wl.jpg

The brand name is DeSoto and that's the only reason I got it. The last registration on it is from 1981. I really didn't need another project and I don't have any plans for it as of yet but that platform over the rear axle seems to be screaming for some form of motive power. :unsure:

Back