What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

The French track bike lives.
KIMG0100.jpg

After yesterday's heat and humidity, along with slogging this beast uphill with a 66" fixed gear, I'm done. As we say on this side of the pond, "It's Miller time", but try to find a better beer.

I have one of those, branded Ring, and whilst not used often, it does the job well, is not too noisy, and can be set to shut off at the desired pressure. The pressure reading seems to match several other gauges I have too, so all good. I like the screw on connector, as the lever type can sometimes be tricky to seal. If you're quick removing it, the tiny loss will make no difference.

Nice surprise with my car insurance renewal quote today (as far as any request for money can be 'nice').
My premium has dropped by 32% compared to last year !
Same cover, same vehicles (5 & 9 years old), same drivers (no 'special' birthdays), already at maximum NCB.
But I moved house this year, about a mile away, from a main road with on-street parking only, to a cul-de-sac with off-street parking. That must be why.

which is not so easy to use as the more traditional lever type
I have one in each car. The Fiat Bravo one still works well. The Panda one failed on first use, my long gone Dads one still goes OK and my Ryobi one works but is poor quality. I have found your type of connector lasts but the lever types dont. The amount of air lost has never affected the final pressure when checked with a gauge on my screw on type.

Ryobi lever type connector failed after a month! The replacement gauge doesnt work. The cordless operation is great though.

Not been up the coast "properly" for a few years, shame as it's only an hour or so away.

Oddly enough there's not many facilities outside of the tourist traps so not ideal for tiny people.

He's not that tiny these days...used to be up here pretty much weekly in the summer, usually on my way to Edinburgh or somewhere, then after that I was up here multiple times a week for 12 months as did my dissertation in the area. But not been in about 2 years and the time before that would be about 3..
20220529_141327.jpg
20220529_145003.jpg

20220529_162342.jpg
20220529_162022.jpg

Also as tends to be the case when it gets a proper run..car behaved itself impeccably even during going literally flat out 0-70 from a junction. It's almost like it's borderline..there's apparently a system that uses the VVT and injectors to spray the valve backs so perhaps a longer trip tidies it up a bit then my wife uses it for a few miles at a time weekdays and that pushes it back over the edge. I think I've decided regardless of warranty situation it's going to get fixed this month.

20220529_231928.jpg

Last edited:
Am I being dense, or is there supposed to be a video of the actual 'drag race' somewhere on that page? 'Cos I can't see it
The outcome was entirely predictable I think. A common very slippery surface, one vehicle with excessively wide tyres and an excess of power which will be difficult to apply "delicately", the other with narrow tyres which will bite through and give access to whatever grip is available and small amounts of power and torque which will be easily applied gently. I learnt about this with my old Citroen Diane which couldn't have pulled the skin off a rice pudding and ran on 135R15 tyres. On snowy days it was the only non 4wd vehicle which would climb the hill up to the village we lived in back then!

which couldn't have pulled the skin off a rice pudding
Though never heard on this side of the pond, this was the second time I read this -ism today. The first was regarding a VeloSolex moped, of which I have two. And it's true. I may steal it.
Usually, if something is slow and under powered over here, it's said that it can't get out of its own way.

Though never heard on this side of the pond, this was the second time I read this -ism today. The first was regarding a VeloSolex moped, of which I have two. And it's true. I may steal it.
Usually, if something is slow and under powered over here, it's said that it can't get out of its own way.
Well there you go! Despite having spent quite some time over on your side of the pond both with my sister - who lives there and when my daughter and family lived in southern Maryland - I never heard anyone say "can't get out of it's own way". A saying I never heard anywhere else was what my old boss at Firestone used to say when I had a particularly difficult problem to solve. He would say, in his American drawl, "well, that's really got you hornswoggled, don't it?" He never told me what it meant but I understood it to mean puzzled or bamboozled.

Hornswaggled=confused. So, puzzled and bamboozled, too. I don't ever recall hearing it in the Upper Midwest. It's more of an Appalachian/Lower Midwest slang.
Up in my neck of the woods, you may hear things like, "Ain't dat a corker."(surprising), "For lands sake", (depending on context used, it can mean anything from, "Are you stupid?" to "That startled me."), "Yah Hay Dere!"("Hello" to "How the hell are ya?"), "Youbetcha."("You bet." to "Yes."), "Ya shure."(Okay), "Up Nort"(northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and North Dakota). I go far enough Up Nort and even I can't understand those people. And I was born there.

We are even separated by a common language over here.

Hornswaggled=confused. So, puzzled and bamboozled, too. I don't ever recall hearing it in the Upper Midwest. It's more of an Appalachian/Lower Midwest slang.
Up in my neck of the woods, you may hear things like, "Ain't dat a corker."(surprising), "For lands sake", (depending on context used, it can mean anything from, "Are you stupid?" to "That startled me."), "Yah Hay Dere!"("Hello" to "How the hell are ya?"), "Youbetcha."("You bet." to "Yes."), "Ya shure."(Okay), "Up Nort"(northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and North Dakota). I go far enough Up Nort and even I can't understand those people. And I was born there.

We are even separated by a common language over here.
Thanks for that. Midwest? Head office for us (Firestone) was in Akron Ohio. Don't know if Bob - our boss - was actually from there but would Ohio be "Midwest"? - I never visited.

Appalacians? My sister lives just outside a beautiful wee town in Massachusets near the Quaben reservoir about 2 hours drive west of Boston It's one of those places with a church that has a white wooden steeple, the grass is all mown short, the streets are spotless and the barns are painted red. In the fall the trees are just so beautiful too - very picturesque. We've done many walks around there but one of the longest was when we followed the Mowhawk trail. It took us several days and I have to admit we did some of it by car but it was a memorable experience.

Midwest is loosely used for the area between New York state/Pennsylvania and Montana/Wyoming. Many from the eastern states call it 'flyover country' because it's mostly wide open prairie.

Akron is in northern Ohio, just south of Cleveland, and would be considered Midwest. Also, the basis for The Pretenders 'My City Was Gone'. Bob was possibly a transplant from Kentucky or Tennessee, though southern Ohio also has a southern 'drawl'.

The Appalachians is the eastern mountain range that runs from northern Canada down through the southern state of Georgia. Some great hiking all along them, and yes, where you'll find white steeples and red barns nestled in the valleys in between.

Midwest is loosely used for the area between New York state/Pennsylvania and Montana/Wyoming. Many from the eastern states call it 'flyover country' because it's mostly wide open prairie.

Akron is in northern Ohio, just south of Cleveland, and would be considered Midwest. Also, the basis for The Pretenders 'My City Was Gone'. Bob was possibly a transplant from Kentucky or Tennessee, though southern Ohio also has a southern 'drawl'.

The Appalachians is the eastern mountain range that runs from northern Canada down through the southern state of Georgia. Some great hiking all along them, and yes, where you'll find white steeples and red barns nestled in the valleys in between.
You puzzled me for a minute there. "Flyover country"? I was thinking "wide open spaces with not a lot in between" why would they have lots of flyovers? Then I realized you meant Flyover, as in aeroplane not flyover as in elevated roadway - Doh!

Bob did have quite a strong southern accent. he would say "thet's really gotchu hornswaggled, huh Jan? I had to really concentrate when I first started there but after a few weeks it was fine.

My daughter lived in rural southern Maryland and you'd quite often hear a strong southern drawl there. I speak with a Scot's accent but not an especially strong one. I remember once, whilst buying spare parts for my daughter's lawnmower in Lowes, The sales assistant called her friend over and said to me "could you please just say something, anything, so my friend can hear the way you speak - I just Looove your accent". Of course I obliged and her friend gave me quite a "funny" look. Don't think they'd ever heard a Scots accent down there out in the countryside.

We also had an interesting experience visiting Old Ironsides" (USS Constitution). The sailor who showed us round had such a strong southern drawl we were only picking up on occasional words. Luckily Mrs J is fluent in French and I have my schoolboy french backed up by what I've learned when over there so we got hold of one of those speaking machines (which spoke french) and she translated the bits I couldn't understand. The sailor, a lovely very big muscly chap (Mrs J kept looking at him?) might as well have been speaking Martian for all I could make out.

Back