What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

StevenRB45

Upstanding Member for Newcastle
Black Circles confirm they aim for tyres within 2 years of manutacture.. but can supply up to 5 years

I wont use them again
Apparently depending on storage conditions shelved tyres can be kept for up to 10 years before fitting.

But I would still wonder if once exposed to air and weather if they would all react the same. Would a tyre stored 5 years be the same as one made weeks before?

I suppose one of the advantages of getting a common tyre size is this sort of thing is unlikely to happen as stock turnover should be high.

Could be worse, my Dad has recently contacted me about the Focus tyres...(It needs to be towed out to sea and sunk with gunfire at this point) so last time I saw I read the date codes off the tyres. Newest one is 2017...oldest 2015 all showing signs of cracking. But 4 tyres is about 50% of total vehicle value at this point.

The Panda Nut

Nutty about pandas
Apparently depending on storage conditions shelved tyres can be kept for up to 10 years before fitting.

But I would still wonder if once exposed to air and weather if they would all react the same. Would a tyre stored 5 years be the same as one made weeks before?

I suppose one of the advantages of getting a common tyre size is this sort of thing is unlikely to happen as stock turnover should be high.

Could be worse, my Dad has recently contacted me about the Focus tyres...(It needs to be towed out to sea and sunk with gunfire at this point) so last time I saw I read the date codes off the tyres. Newest one is 2017...oldest 2015 all showing signs of cracking. But 4 tyres is about 50% of total vehicle value at this point.
EXPENSIVE car. Our Seat is worth less than 1 tyre!

Sorry for being late picking up on this but we've been "busy" of late what with our trip down south and other family stuff.

Aye Steven, Storage conditions are of paramount importance for tyres. Dark and cool are the two main prerequisites but not too damp either - such as in a cellar for instance. Would a tyre stored 5 years be the same as one made just weeks earlier? No. But for everyday use it will be quite satisfactory if correctly stored - Problem is how are you ever going to know?

Absolutely regarding having a car with a very common size of tyre. Back in my younger days (1960's/70's) cross ply construction had largely disappeared and 145, 155 and 165 by 13 radials (all with an aspect ratio around 80 to 85% whereas the old cross plies were 100% ) were very common and fitted to a great number of manufacturer's models. Today it seems that nearly every car has a unique tyre size! (I'm exaggerating of course) but the range of sizes now is vast compared to when I was young and I find myself questioning if we really need such a wide range with such small differences in size for common everyday cars? The most common size today is, apparently, 205/55R 16 which, luckily, is what fits my boy's Astra! I've noticed when we buy tyres for it that they are always virtually straight out the factory door.

This website has some very interesting info for folk who might want more: https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres.html

StevenRB45

Upstanding Member for Newcastle
Look on the bright side - his car may be appreciating in value if it has a full tank of fuel.
Indeed devalued my car significantly with a trip out today
Absolutely regarding having a car with a very common size of tyre. Back in my younger days (1960's/70's) cross ply construction had largely disappeared and 145, 155 and 165 by 13 radials (all with an aspect ratio around 80 to 85% whereas the old cross plies were 100% ) were very common and fitted to a great number of manufacturer's models. Today it seems that nearly every car has a unique tyre size! (I'm exaggerating of course) but the range of sizes now is vast compared to when I was young and I find myself questioning if we really need such a wide range with such small differences in size for common everyday cars? The most common size today is, apparently, 205/55R 16 which, luckily, is what fits my boy's Astra! I've noticed when we buy tyres for it that they are always virtually straight out the factory door.

We've discussed it before I fear but yes do love 205/55 R16..they are on the C3 and every mid range VW and Ford and VX product for the last 20 years...so you can turn up at any tyre shop any day and likely have a wide range of fresh tyres to choose from at reasonable prices.

At the other end of the scale I was thinking maybe I'd swap the C3 for a C4...however discovered it's fitted with a 195/60 R18. Which has to be the most ridiculous tyre size I've ever encountered on a mainstream car. Assume they've done it to lower the rolling resistance on the electric one. Literally 4 tyres to choose from in total at most places and no winter or all season options at all.

Last edited:
This set me to thinking about cars with unusual size tyres I've owned and my old Citroen Dyane immediately came to mind. It was one of the cheapest cars to run I've ever owned and, once you got your mindset right, it was a hoot to drive! Just looked up the tyre prices 135R15 - glad I'm not running it now! https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/citroen/dyane.html. My wee lightweight trailer runs on 145R10 tyres - same size as the "original" Mini and I got a bit of a shock when i came across some the other day - luckily I don't need any right now but it looks like they are becoming more difficult to find - mind you I suppose there can't be that many Minis/Reliant Robins (or Kittens)/ Bond Bugs around now?

Strange day so far. Started by cleaning up the cat sick.
Then we have the poo. Once past a certain age, every two years a little package arrives, inviting a poo sample for bowel cancer screening. Catching a poo and scraping it with the special stick is a strange task. But today, it was my partner's turn. As she's wheelchair bound, this is not something she can do herself. Sorry, your imagination is now running in a direction you don't need. Not as bad as you have now imagined, it involves an old plastic bowl in the loo to catch the sample. Then scrape and insert the stick into its special tube, ready for posting. Not pleasant, but something all parents are probably accustomed to.
Brings a smile when I post the package in the postbox. The NHS is actually requesting that we post poo into a postbox. It's a strange life.

Cheest

Back to Mexico tomorrow and possibly bye bye to my vacation before the end of June. I want to punch the entire management team down to, and including, my own boss because everyone in my department told the nitwits that the machines sent to Mexico weren't ready to be shipped. Our illustrious company president said, "I guess we made a mistake." Um, no, moving to South Carolina in 2017 was a mistake. This current fiasco in Mexico is an effen disaster caused by your own stupidity and putting trust in the wrong people.

I'm not totally PO'd, though, because this gets me out of having to deal with the jerks in DC. Is it bad that I'd rather visit another country than to spend time in my nation's capitol?