What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

One of my partner's hearing aids has given up. Only 15 months old. Specsavers said, "bring it in, we'll have a look, but if we can't fix it, we'll send it back to the manufacturer for repair. Probably 2 weeks turnround."
I think that's poor. It is a simple behind the ear unit, so standard, not moulded to individual ear shape. They should have them in stock, and program one immediately. They work as a pair, programmed for each ear. With just the one, it is like talking to the wall. We can look forward to 2 weeks of no proper communication.
That is well worht knowing about service levels. Clearly it might be worth asking about this up front for anyone starting out. I wonder if you could get a cheap unit somehow as a spare? Hearing is complex and its definitely in=mportant not to make it worse just turning up the volume and making the range of any hearing loss worse. I am not a fan of spec savers. I have had glasses that were no good and thought it was just a one off but my sister used them - she lives in France and visited while over, and they just plain supplied the wrong prescription. It took far too long to get sorted out. The manager of the depot I was based at near here when working also had the same problems as did his wife, so it makes you wonder if its a systemic SPewc savers thing or if we had soemone who was training or just no good. I have decided that the old established optician does a much better job, they seem to get it right, have better quality lenses adn are so helpful in cases of need it makes spec savers look worse than very sad. This does cost a fair bit more but it is stress free.

I learned that a local radio personality passed away early this morning. I've been listening to this particular station since it went on the air 50 years ago. Some of the staff have been there since day one. This guy started there about 1980 and we kind of grew old together. The news was kind of a gut punch because I was listening to his show on Wednesday.

Poop.

There's currently a loud conflab going on around a 1 series outside the house.

The whole village knows they've hit a deer I assume. Seems it's bust one kidney but otherwise looks fine...but still there shouting on.

At least they've been conscientious enough to put their phone on speaker so I can hear both ends of the conversation.

Edit: oh FML...whoever they were on the phone to turned up in a mood. Tried to turn it round in the stable entrance..dropped a front wheel off the road. It lifted a rear and refused to move for a good 2 minutes of revving.

Last edited:
That is very true, but it does also make me realise just how much I took the niceness of my Punto for granted.
Could be worse....all the local bodyshops use C3s as courtesy cars. As does the local garage...

So even if I yeeted it into a field or blew it it up to get rid of it, I'd get it back except without a turbo.

Could be worse....all the local bodyshops use C3s as courtesy cars. As does the local garage...

So even if I yeeted it into a field or blew it it up to get rid of it, I'd get it back except without a turbo.
I kinda have a C3: I've been given use of a 2022 Corsa, and I'm really disappointed tbh. When they were launched, I thought they were refreshingly good looking for a modern car, and I was really pleased when I found out I was getting 1 as a courtesy car, but it really isn't nice to drive, and I suspect the heater controls are seriously going to get on my tits. It's done exactly 90,000 miles less than my Punto had, but it's shockingly worse to drive!

I kinda have a C3: I've been given use of a 2022 Corsa, and I'm really disappointed tbh. When they were launched, I thought they were refreshingly good looking for a modern car, and I was really pleased when I found out I was getting 1 as a courtesy car, but it really isn't nice to drive, and I suspect the heater controls are seriously going to get on my tits. It's done exactly 90,000 miles less than my Punto had, but it's shockingly worse to drive!
It'll be the 75bhp so a boggo C3 is actually faster than that...if you've had an accident that was your fault they tend to give you a Category A car (the most basic thing a hire company would give you). If it's not your fault you'd get like for like usually.... although both options in this case end with a Corsa.

Sister in law has had a new corsa for a few years...seem to recall it's just standard none climate control heating controls if it's an SE. Usual fan speed, heat and direction. Seemed alright in a keeps the rain off and doesn't break down kinda way. In hire car spec superminis tend to suck unfortunately.

It'll be the 75bhp so a boggo C3 is actually faster than that...if you've had an accident that was your fault they tend to give you a Category A car (the most basic thing a hire company would give you). If it's not your fault you'd get like for like usually.... although both options in this case end with a Corsa.

Sister in law has had a new corsa for a few years...seem to recall it's just standard none climate control heating controls if it's an SE. Usual fan speed, heat and direction. Seemed alright in a keeps the rain off and doesn't break down kinda way. In hire car spec superminis tend to suck unfortunately.
It feels like its got more than 75bhp, and it definitely isn't base model: it's got a lot of kit. Having to use both proper controls and a touchscreen to operate the ventilation system just strikes me as bad design tbh. The worst thing though, is that a really wanted to like it, but it's such a crushing disappointment. What's the clutch like in your sister in law's example?

Attachments

• IMG_20230124_162316_506.jpg
    IMG_20230124_162316_506.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 25
It feels like its got more than 75bhp, and it definitely isn't base model: it's got a lot of kit.
two points,
1. For years Vauxhalls have had a lot of kit, it’s how they kept people buying them despite being god aweful cars for the most part. Pound for pound the corsa was much better value for money than its fiat equivalent which is why fiat gave up on the equivalent.

2. This is a “cheap” car these days. What cheap actually equates to is over £18k for the base model (if you sneeze while ticking the spec sheet that can jump to near £30k for a petrol corsa) , so while it may have a lot of bells and whistles, and while it might not be the very bottom of the heap, it will be very close to the bottom fleet managers are not in the habit of buying a single thing they don’t have to, any extras it has are likely just to make it easier to sell when they get shot at <10,000 miles

It feels like its got more than 75bhp, and it definitely isn't base model: it's got a lot of kit. Having to use both proper controls and a touchscreen to operate the ventilation system just strikes me as bad design tbh. The worst thing though, is that a really wanted to like it, but it's such a crushing disappointment. What's the clutch like in your sister in law's example?
Looks like an Elite judging by the wheels.

However they still come with 73bhp..

it'll have half the climate system out of the C3...seem to recall they are the same except various bits are blocked off on the Corsa screen as they are done by buttons on the dash. Just find "auto" and press it...that's the entire interaction needed.

Not driven the sister in law's car, but PSA clutches seem to default to springy with bite point near your chin on the none turbo cars. Everytime I get back into ours after a courtesy car I accidentally launch it expecting the clutch to bite 2 inches after it does.

two points,
1. For years Vauxhalls have had a lot of kit, it’s how they kept people buying them despite being god aweful cars for the most part. Pound for pound the corsa was much better value for money than its fiat equivalent which is why fiat gave up on the equivalent.

2. This is a “cheap” car these days. What cheap actually equates to is over £18k for the base model (if you sneeze while ticking the spec sheet that can jump to near £30k for a petrol corsa) , so while it may have a lot of bells and whistles, and while it might not be the very bottom of the heap, it will be very close to the bottom fleet managers are not in the habit of buying a single thing they don’t have to, any extras it has are likely just to make it easier to sell when they get shot at <10,000 miles
This 1 has all round electric windows, automatically folding door mirrors, reversing camera, front parking sensors, heated seats and steering wheel, climate control, self dimming rear view mirror, automatic lights and wipers.

Looks like an Elite judging by the wheels.

However they still come with 73bhp..

it'll have half the climate system out of the C3...seem to recall they are the same except various bits are blocked off on the Corsa screen as they are done by buttons on the dash. Just find "auto" and press it...that's the entire interaction needed.

Not driven the sister in law's car, but PSA clutches seem to default to springy with bite point near your chin on the none turbo cars. Everytime I get back into ours after a courtesy car I accidentally launch it expecting the clutch to bite 2 inches after it does.
I must admit, I'm surprised it's got less power than my Grande.

I must admit, you've made me feel a fair bit better, lol! I took it for a short drive when I got back, so I at least had a modicum of familiarity before driving to work in the morning, and I couldn't believe the amount of travel the clutch pedal had before biting point! If that's how bad it is now, I hate to think what they'll be like after 90,000 miles!

I must admit, I'm surprised it's got less power than my Grande.

I must admit, you've made me feel a fair bit better, lol! I took it for a short drive when I got back, so I at least had a modicum of familiarity before driving to work in the morning, and I couldn't believe the amount of travel the clutch pedal had before biting point! If that's how bad it is now, I hate to think what they'll be like after 90,000 miles!

Weighs 115kg less than your Grande (one of the reasons I disliked Grandes, they were incredibly heavy compared to older Fiats)..you'd imagine a fully loaded modern car that passes ncap would weigh more but no.

They are a sub 1 tonne car without a turbo. Having looked at the picture properly no rear discs, so no turbo (all PSA turbos get 4 discs)..so definitely a 73.

As the clutch wears it'll travel down the travel..so once it's knackered it'll drive better 🤣. Actually in about 3 days you'll probably not even notice it, once the foot/brain adjusts.

Random PSA driving tip...to use hill start assist push the brake hard before releasing it..then gives you 2 seconds to find where the bite is before it lets you go. May come in handy if you're having bother with the clutch...assume it'll have it.

Oh and plug your phone in for android auto 😜

Weighs 115kg less than your Grande (one of the reasons I disliked Grandes, they were incredibly heavy compared to older Fiats)..you'd imagine a fully loaded modern car that passes ncap would weigh more but no.

They are a sub 1 tonne car without a turbo. Having looked at the picture properly no rear discs, so no turbo (all PSA turbos get 4 discs)..so definitely a 73.

As the clutch wears it'll travel down the travel..so once it's knackered it'll drive better 🤣. Actually in about 3 days you'll probably not even notice it, once the foot/brain adjusts.

Random PSA driving tip...to use hill start assist push the brake hard before releasing it..then gives you 2 seconds to find where the bite is before it lets you go. May come in handy if you're having bother with the clutch...assume it'll have it.

Oh and plug your phone in for android auto 😜
Christ! How did they get it to weigh so much less than its predecessor?

I will not be using that stereo at any point during its time with me, lol! Although I guess I could plug in my USB stick to drown out the sewing machine noise... 🤔

I couldn't believe the amount of travel the clutch pedal had before biting point! If that's how bad it is now, I hate to think what they'll be like after 90,000 miles!
if you get in and out of different cars and vehicles they all have a very different feel and biting point, as you’ve only driven your Punto for years it’s hardly surprising that you don’t have a feel for a totally different car, remember these are not built on the fiat/Vauxhall platform anymore they have nothing in common with your old car.

Many years back I had a man old SAAB 900 (wasn’t that old at the time) which drove lovely but you needed to be the hulk to put the clutch down, and they would get worse and worst as the cable (not hydraulic) would wear and become even harder to operate, changing the clutch cable was a annual service item, still nice to drive though.

Youngest son came on the phone last night just as we were going up to bed. "Dad, I'm hyper, can I just speak to you for a while?" "Well of course son, what's up?" Turns out he had been in the shower when his wife shouts through from the living room - which over looks the front garden - "I think there's something going on in the street, come quickly". So he wrapped a towel round his middle and rushed through where he saw his 6 ft high front hedge "wobbling" energetically. Then there were loud banging noises so he rushed out his front door to find a young idiot kicking in the panels on the O/S of his wife's wee Honda Jazz. Not surprisingly he yelled at said young idiot who promptly took to his heels down the street. My boy, in flip flops and still with only the towel round his middle, gave chase but, not surprisingly, was unable to keep up when his neighbour from across the road - a large and very fit chap (think rugby forward?) overtook him and took the "idiot" down in a full rugby tackle.

Turns out the youngster had been at a party in the next street and was absolutely wasted (who knows, drink or drugs, or maybe both?) Almost immediately other neighbours from up the street in the direction this chap had come from, started arriving with tales of damage to their cars and one who reported the lad had punched a hole in their front living room window. My boy tells me there was a lot of blood around.

Just at that the police turned up and congratulated everyone on apprehending this chap who they'd been receiving complaints about for the last half hour and were out trying to catch him.

The police were at his door again this morning bright and early to take a statement and look at the damage to the car - lot of blood on the panels so looks like the lad cut himself quite badly on that window? They are saying the lad is not known to the police and is not local. Seems he's from Stirling. They report complaints, so far, of 8 vehicles damaged! My boy took pictures on his phone this morning and sent then through to me. The O/S rear door is completely put in but could be repaired with a new door skin and a wee bit of panel beating. Luckily the rear 3/4 panel is untouched and there's no broken glass. Driver's door is deeply dented around the door handle but mirror etc seems untouched. Might beat out, might need a new skin. Front wing untouched. it's very repairable but, as it's a 2008 car, I feel it's quite likely it'll be written off. I rather hope not though because I've "bonded" more with this car than any of the other non Fiats in the "family Fleet".

With the reports of so much blood around I'm glad my boy wasn't the one who physically tackled him but it's a pity I wasn't there, I'd have like to see him charging down the road in just his flip flops and a towel - must have been quite a sight!

I've had my boy look closely at the car and it looks like, although the doors have considerable damage, the rest of it's OK. considering the age of the vehicle and the generally rather scruffy state of the rest of the body, I think a couple of doors from a scrappie would sort it out cheaply enough. Anyway, they've already notified the insurance so that's a bit of a fait accompli as far as saving face with the insurance people. Just have to wait and see what bounces back now I suppose.

I've had my boy look closely at the car and it looks like, although the doors have considerable damage, the rest of it's OK. considering the age of the vehicle and the generally rather scruffy state of the rest of the body, I think a couple of doors from a scrappie would sort it out cheaply enough. Anyway, they've already notified the insurance so that's a bit of a fait accompli as far as saving face with the insurance people. Just have to wait and see what bounces back now I suppose.
Sometimes there comes a point where you have to let it go….

Or the insurance pays out, you buy the car back and stick some new doors on it and end up no worse off but now you have cash in your pocket

Back