Technical What would you do?

Currently reading:
Technical What would you do?

collings

Hello all,

I have a Punto mk1 60S and took it into my local B&M exhaust centre to have the back box replaced. I have been back 3 times, yes i repeat 3 times as the exhaust is blowing underneath the drivers area.

The first time i took it back it was becuase it was banging on my spare wheel bit, they lowered it (although i think it looks TOO low now). The second time was for the blowing bit. They replaced the clip where the back box joined and did a little welding. I was thinking at this point after two days, should i be accepting welding on my exhaust?

Anyway, it was cured for a few days but then i could hear it blowing again. Off i go and i stayed in the car as they raised it on the ramps so they could hear me rev it, etc. They told me that there had been some problems with mk1 exhausts and that the "siliconed it". That to me sounds like DIY work.

I was told that it would heal as i drive to carbonate it up, but guess what?? NO IT DIDNT.

So 3 weeks have passed and it sounds as though my backbox still needs replacing. I went with B&M as they were the cheapest at £50, although i wish i had gone to kiwk-fit as you get a 2 year guarantee.

I still have the reciept, and i was wondering what you would do in my position? I know it sounds daft but i darent go on long drives in case it drops off.

Thanks for the info upfront.

Chris

found this for you..

When you buy goods from a trader, you are always entitled to get goods:
of satisfactory quality
fit for their purpose
as described
If they don't comply with this at the time of sale, for a short period afterwards you can return the goods and claim a full refund, or, if you have lost the right to reject you can still claim compensation e.g. the cost of a repair.

As an alternative you can now request a repair or a replacement, which the trader has to provide unless it is disproportionately costly, in which case he then has to provide a full or partial refund.

Faults can become apparent some time after sale (a latent fault), or an item may not be durable at the time of sale but this would not be apparent until it breaks down months later.

These faults could still be considered to be present at the time of sale. It is up to you to show the goods had been faulty when you purchased them unless you request a repair or replacement and return them within 6 months in which case it is for the trader to show the goods were of satisfactory quality at the time of the sale.

after being in the motor trade for 15years i can tell you they wernt welding it up,they were using the gas torch to try and bend it into a shape that would fit,its the same old problem with these cheap pipes.

take it back and DEMAND its replaced due to the sale of goods act.
if they wont simply call your local trading standards office and if the garage is an MOT centre call the local vehical inspectorate office( the VI probly cant help much but it sure sturs up trouble)

you have every right to get the goods and service you payed for.

give your local trading standards office a call
thats what they are there for ,and they jump on these sort of things .
had a problem with quik fit a while back and they were very good and got it sorted.

good luck
Richie

i think im gonna go to them and demand a replacement, and it still doesnt sound better i will go to trading standards. Sounds daft but i was gonna leave it and get it done elsewhere but then thought i paid £50 for that, it should work.

IT IS WAR!! lol

collings said:
i think im gonna go to them and demand a replacement, and it still doesnt sound better i will go to trading standards. Sounds daft but i was gonna leave it and get it done elsewhere but then thought i paid £50 for that, it should work.

IT IS WAR!! lol
Don't forget to keep a record of all the events to show that you've given them every chance to fix the problem and they've been uncooperative, you could also try the Citizens Advice Bureau for what else you can do. Hope you get it sorted soon as it's one of the reasons I prefer to do jobs like that myself (does help having a double garage).

Well, ive been back to B & M and they replacd the backbox with a different one made bt a different manufacturer. However, my problem is now worse.

When i start the car, it just sounds like a drag car and although the exhaust looks ok and i see no holes, etc. The noise is quite loud and annoying.

Could the noise be anything else, like the front exhaust or something?

Another problem is after an oil change i have been to alton towers (90 mies round journey) and the car was fine. The day after the engine sounds really rocky, im sure it cant be the oil as it was the correct grade and i bought a special oil for engines over 75k.

Is there anything i can check for the load noises im getting.

I appeciate all your help given.

Chris

Back