Technical What uses power with everything switched off?

Currently reading:
Technical What uses power with everything switched off?

boguing

A puzzle I couldn't solve on my own...

The car's been flattening its battery when left for a while, so armed with a new battery I went to check what's going on.

On connecting there's a faint (very faint) clunk coming from what sounds to me - under the bonnet - the passenger side, maybe footwell.

First thought was the central locking, so pulled the fuse for that. No change. Electric windows, nope. In the end I've taken out every single fuse and relay in both the dash and under-bonnet fuse panels. And it's still doing it.

Then I twigged that the list of fuses and relays doesn't mention the sunroof. The logical assumption is that it's connected with the windows and just not mentioned. I went to test the sunroof and found that it's not working, just a click but doesn't move. What I should have done was pulled some fuses to see if that would stop the click, but didn't think of that at the time. Instead I bent the trim back and disconnected the switch. Guess what, still got the noise.

Unfortunately I was in the workshop on my own because if someone had sat inside I could at least of located where the noise is coming from.

An ammeter show that it draws about an Amp for a moment and drops back to 200mA.

Question then. Is there something that I've overlooked? Obviously some things needs permanent power but it's a 2002 car without an alarm and I can only think of the clock. Or - does anyone know if there's a hidden fuse and relay for the sunroof? (My thought there is that a relay could have a fault and disconnecting the switch won't disable the power to it).

Leave ammeter connected with everything switched off and read the draw after 25mins. It can take that long for the ecus to shut down fully.

That's handy to know, thanks. A further question though - do the ecus themselves (or stuff they're connected to) make a noise when first connected?

Maybe the safety circuit in the windows stays live, something like that?

The alternator diodes are permanently connected to the battery positive and there are no fuses. If the diodes are good there should be no current flow from the battery through the diodes. Try disconnecting the large cable that goes to the starter and alternator that comes off the battery positive.

That's a good thought, and worth checking.

Still stuck on what's making the noise and if there's a sunroof fuse and relay somewhere?

I looked but didn't see it. Just ordered Haynes for the wiring diagram and do it the logical way. And maybe have The Daughter, whose car it now is, sit in and tell be where the noise is coming from...

The dumbing down of Haynes is a pity, but there may be hope. I wanted to rebuild a Land Rover gearbox, and new Haynes didn't cover it. I 'phoned them and they sent me the missing chapters. I don't know if they still do the 'whole thing' on newer cars, but on a 2000my car it'd be worth the call.

Thanks for the link, but I'd already done that testing. Most likely it the ecus, but why the noise is the mystery if that's the case. I'm intrigued to see whether the wiring diagram mentions the sunroof, even if that's not my problem.

Yes.

Its switched power was obviously off, and I'd have thought that the permanent would be fused/relay protected? (So when I pulled all the fuses and relay it really ought to have been disabled). Face plate was off too. Worth a look, it had a cd drive so that could make a noise.

I'll look at the wiring diagram when The Book arrives!

Back