what sub/amp you have ?

Currently reading:
what sub/amp you have ?

punto_mark

i am now using my vibe space 15inch 3000 watt dual voice coil and i am using 2x vibe monobox 2800 watt amps to power it now omg its alot of bass:D

i have these running off the headunit :p shakes the car to bits so thats good imo lol

Attachments

• Image786.jpg
    Image786.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 14
one 10" modded vibe active sub (old style) jl audio mono blocks *2 for left & right jl xr6.5" components... jl 2 channel amp running the rear fill xr 5.25 coaxials... oh & the car fully soundeadend with power cap

RE 12" XXX sub, 2000w RMS (none of this peak rubbish;)), SPL dynamics EXT 2000-D amp, 2000w RMS in 1 ohm, EF MAX designed triple bandpass box.

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

P1010181.jpg

Photo-0176.jpg

Photo-0177.jpg

Should be fired up today:).

Anthony

gt3man said:
You can have all the quality you like, but if the cars not sound proofed its gonna sound poo:p 10" subs are best one of in a small car

Who told you that? Apart from the size of the enclosure (which isn't a hard and fast rule anyway), the size of the sub isn't the factor that determines how good a sub is in any sized car. In fact, I would say it would be a negligable effect. It's true that some cars are suitable for some aspects of ICE over others (e.g. classic Pandas can be a very good basis for a walled SPL car). The design of the enclosure, for example, would have a greater effect on how good a sub is in a car.

And that Punto will be soundproofed. In fact, I think it already has some soundproofing installed :)

Its a fact smaller drive units can shift air faster than bigger cones.. Therefore are more responsive and harder hitting as a whole and give more sq (although there are a lot of factors still involved).. The sound waves they generate are of a shorter wavelength and are more suited to smaller cars(y)

gt3man said:
Its a fact smaller drive units can shift air faster than bigger cones..

Not necessarily true. A 12 can be just as 'quick' as a 10 or 8.

gt3man said:
The sound waves they generate are of a shorter wavelength and are more suited to smaller cars

Frequency and wavelength are inextricably linked by the speed of sound (or speed of light, depending on what you're looking at). A wavelength of say, half a metre would give a frequency of 686Hz. A wavelength of 100m gives a frequency of 3Hz. So what you're actually saying is that a smaller driver can play higher frequencies (i.e. shorter wavelengths) more effectively than a larger driver, which may not necessarily the case in a correctly designed enclosure.

like I say there are a lot of factors involved such as sensitivity of the unit but on a whole what I say is true you should know Ur self....lets not forget the car is the enclosure also

Last edited:
gt3man said:
like I say there are a lot of factors involved such as sensitivity of the unit but on a whole what I say is true you should know Ur self....lets not forget the car is the enclosure also

Yes, that is true, but my point is that the effect of the car can be emphasised or reduced by user controllable parameters, depending on the situation and sub used :)

Of course you are ;) .... There we are SUB used thank you!! I have a 15" in the house with my denon & b&w set up. I have the 15 because I am trying to create the depth of field to the sound you would experience in a cinema I could not do this with a smaller speaker !!!. In the car I use a 10" sub as I want hard hitting pulsating bass with sq.. Although its only a vibe its quite good with the mods I have done to it. I have poped my ear drum twice with this sub.. I did have 2 10's in the house now that was mad not as deep as the 15's but it sure hurt ur ears more. Although my 15 is in a seald enclosure for a faster response. The 10's were ported and had a smaller wavelength than the 15. My listening room is too small for me to let the 15 breath. It is also down to personal taste and what you want out of a sub..hell get an 18 for all I care in a small car I say a 10 is enough

Last edited:
gt3man said:
There we are SUB used thank you!!

Different subs have different TS parameters, sensitivities etc, did I say anything about size? :) These TS parameters may suit a given frequency range which may be different from what you define as the frequency range for a given sub size :)

gt3man said:
In the car I use a 10" sub as I want hard hitting pulsating bass with sq..

Are you implying that SQ is dictated by sub size? A 12 or 15 in an SQ orientated enclosure would sound a hell of a lot better than a 8 or 10 in an enclosure that's not suitable for the sub.

Saying a 10 is suitable for a small car won't be correct for every single situation - it's too general a comment to make - there would be exceptions. There are other factors to consider, with the enclosure being perhaps one of the most important.

Actually its the sizes of subs we have been debating amongst other things you said a 12 can be as quick as a 10, this surely cant be correct :confused: The range of frequency (HZ) is mostly dictated by the driver size or throw there of. All things been equal, box per volume of speaker, type of enclosure, amps, sensitivities & car set up, for example.

And no i am not making out as if there is no such thing as a hq12 or even larger just a 10will react faster than the comparative 12. Therefore theoretically giving a tighter better sound. But its down to the music you play also, as to what that better sound could be. Dance or fast beats n your probably better of with with a smaller driver. As for rnb & hip hop, a bigger driver is more suited to these sounds :)

It has been my experience with smaller speakers they tend to hurt your ears more, as for the bigger speakers they are more likely to make you drop a gut !!!!

Last edited:
Back