General What options are on your Panda?

Currently reading:
General What options are on your Panda?

Hello Panda owners,

What model and engine did you go for and why?

Was there a certain feature you had to have or was only available on your type of Panda, or did you go-without something you really wanted to save money?

Plan on buying a Panda 319 next so I'd love to hear what you all think of the options you might have added like the sunroof or the heated seats etc :D

For now I'll go back to the 169 Panda section where I belong and continue to visit to hear your hopefully positive responses!

I bought an Easy with the TwinAir... that being the only vehicle available (last dealer demonstrator as they were no longer importing them here). I'd previously spent a fair bit of time driving a 500 with the four cylinder and really wasn't impressed, I wouldn't have bought the Panda with that motor. You may find you have to give the TwinAir a really good test drive though because it is quirky and some people find them hard to get used to while others never do. For me, it was love at first drive and that hasn't changed.

She's bog standard though, apart from the racing strips (worth at least 0.002km/hr of speed and maybe a whole poofteenth of a second at traffic light drags) and bird poo (the birds around work all suffer from diarrhea).

Mine has the Blue&Me system, which was standard here. It's great though I spend a lot of time swearing and shouting at the voice lack-of-recognition system but once your phone call is dialling, it's very good.

Disappointments would be the oft mentioned flat seats - not bad in the city and for short periods but... The dopey placement of the USB port and the aux jack means that my mp3 player lives in the cup holder between the front seats. That's fine though because all of the cup holders are too small to hold anything so your car has a lot of holes in it gathering dirt.

If you're a six footer like I am, you'll fit in the car easily however, the car will not fit you. I'm convinced that all Italians are little buggas and built like orangutans - short legs and long arms. You just have to train yourself to like sitting too close to the pedals and too far away from the steering wheel - fortunately, the high seat makes that possible (a steering wheel adjustable for reach would fix that, you only get minimal adjustment for height). You won't get the head rest high enough for a tall bloke - the top of the shaped area for the head runs across the back of my skull and seeing it's a hardish head rest, I'm not happy.

Lots of room inside it though. I regularly carry four in it and yes, with four adults inside, you do notice the drop in performance, another reason to choose the TA with it's extra torque.

Very happy with mine (y)

My title is a giveaway to the spec of my car. We wanted the 4x4 capability and we fell for the TwinAir engine.
If I was buying a 'regular' (ie. non-4x4), I'd go for a TwinAir or Multijet Diesel if economy was important, probably 'Easy' spec - you get air-con, but get steel wheels with trims that can be easily/cheaply replaced to freshen up the appearance. The Blue&Me system in our car is handy for receiving calls and listening to some music off our phones. I probably wouldn't bother with heated seats - they're only heated on the base. Our other car has fully heated (ie. Incl. back/lumbar) and that's the best bit. Others on here have found kits to fit full heating seats themselves.
I guess it depends what you're looking for, but I'd keep it basic with an up-spec engine and maybe Blue&Me.

Hello Panda owners,

Was there a certain feature you had to have or was only available on your type of Panda, or did you go-without something you really wanted to save money?

Plan on buying a Panda 319 next so I'd love to hear what you all think of the options you might have added like the sunroof or the heated seats etc :D

For now I'll go back to the 169 Panda section where I belong and continue to visit to hear your hopefully positive responses!

I have a Twin Air 4x4. Fell in love with the engine and overall feel of the car on a test drive over 12 months ago. Still love it.

Went for extras of Winter Pack (heated seats/bum warmer and heated screen) plus Leather Steering Wheel and Rear Tinted Windows.

Winter pack comes into its own soon. The Leather Steering wheel is a bit of luxury but for only £100+ it’s a great improvement on the bog standard wheel I tried on a test drive.

Rear tints are really just for security as I am prone to leaving stuff on the back seat or footwell. Anyway they really set the car off, especially in white.

We have a Trekking and a 4X4 both with the same extras.

Good luck.

I bought a Panda 4x4 Twin Air as always fancied something with the extra ability when the weather is bad / winter time.

Options wise, think I almost chose everything...

Winter Pack -- Used the heated windscreen a few times earlier this year and so much easier than having to spray with de-icer, then do it again when it begins to freeze again. Not used the heated seats, but mainly wanted for the heated screen.

Side Airbags -- My previous Yaris had these and for safety, wanted them on my Panda too, plus as the Panda is not as wide as my previous Yaris - safety really.

Climate Control -- Again, this was standard in my previous Yaris, I like being able to set a temp and the system deals with it. My only criticism of the Panda climate is that you have to have the air-con on for the climate, my Yaris would keep the car at a set temp without the air-con active (handy in winter on a long drive).

Leather pack -- Leather steering wheel and gear gaiter, before I bought I checked out forum comments and noted several Panda owners preferred the leather wheel over the standard plastic one.

Space saver spare -- Didn't cost that much and much prefer having a physical spare rather than a spray can of something. Plus a space wheel can resolve all flat tyre issues where as the spray cannot.

Split back seats / 3 back seats -- Again not expensive, my previous Yaris had this as standard and found it useful when carrying something big-ish but also need a back seat passenger to come along too.

Ian

Last edited:
Pop 1200 as I like a car as basic as possible, mines even the four seat version with no rear headrests! The only luxury I have is front electrical windows ( as standard) which just makes opening the passenger window safer when driving.

I have a white Panda Twin Air 4x4, standard apart from 3rd seat belt/headrest and a space saver. If configurator to be believed, can't get white with olive upholstery and grey dashboard anymore. Though they've made enough that I'm not worried. I considered finding something with the Winter pack, though have managed without so far on all the cars I've owned. Leather door cards very useful when it rains as don't leave drying marks like fabric.

Have had a new Panda 1.2 previously, nearly got a Twin Air but couldn't get the interior I wanted. The Twin Air fits the 4x4, in a normal Panda have realised it would get on my nerves. Have tested a white 4x4 with Parking Sensors, not sure why you'd need. Have also driven a Green 4x4, prefer solid colours though. Advice would be only buy a Twin Air if you're not bothered about fuel consumption. I get half what is advertised. 28mpg out of a 1.2 on the other hand, would love to meet someone who gets that, impossible surely....

Dunno how big a boat you're towing to only get 28mpg :D (I'm sure I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say). Nor do I understand the condemnation of the TwinAir on economy grounds unless you're referring to test drives by journalists (and I haven't read one that makes any sort of sense in the real world).

I've got the TwinAir and get 50+ mpg around the city including heaving traffic and a 3km climb up a 10% hill every day. Sure, it's not what Fiat claims but it's pretty good and anyone who believes manufacturer's claims probably believes journalists as well.

Interesting comment about the leather door cards not showing the dirt like the fabric ones. I had no choice so have the fabric and yes, you do need to accept that your car will be grubby. I haven't tried any of the protective treatments like Scotchguard and maybe they make a difference. Worth thinking about. And while we're talking leather, the plastic steering wheel is okay as something to hang on to but only 'okay'. If you can get a leather wheel, I reckon you'd appreciate it.

I have the bog standard 1.2 pop bought purely on the price to be honest.

A couple of minor gripes, lack of MP3 player socket although it can play MP3 CD's.

Fuel consumption not that brilliant about town. Most of my journeys consits of a mile drive to a dual carriage way followed by 2.5 miles of dual carriage way driving around 50/60 mph followed by 0.5 mile city road and the same on way abck. Only getting around 42 mpg. On a run though this improves dramatically to around 60/65 mpg

No spare wheel, jack or wheel brace, I have since bought these

I am quite a lazy driver I like to get the car to 5th and virtually leave it there. When you show the Panda even a slight incline you have to work the gears to get it up hill or it just dies

Hill starts are also a bit of a problem, one that has been well documented on here

No idea why there is not a lockable fuel cap

Lack of rear headrests. Not really an issue as generally only me plus 1 other i car

Apart from it looks good in white I think and gets me where I want to go comfortably

Mine, a 2013 4x4 MultiJet was bought ex-demo and at a good price, so I got what it came with as standard. If I were to buy new now, I would add the winter pack - the diesel engine takes a long time to warm up, so the heated screen and seats would be handy. Mine came with the fix and go pump - but I've since added a spare and jack. Do this as an option on a new spec and its only £50 and definitely worth it. And I would have added the fold-flat front passenger seat so longer things can be carried in the car. MAybe the split rear seat for same reason.

I've been very happy with the MJ - in the past two weeks I've been up the M1/M6, spent a week in the hills of Shropshire, come back to Hertfordshire, and had days out to places like the Norfolk coast. Over 1000 miles, and average (on the dash display) of 62.9mpg. And that doing 70 on the motorway... Happy with that (remember, this is in a 4x4)

Last edited:
Prospectively, these are the three options I'd say I'd end up choosing ONE of;-

- 1.2 Pop, brand new, bog standard. Cheap to buy, cheap to run. Simplistically beautiful, bright white. Charming, utilitarian. Can take a knock and some scratches in its stride.

- 1.2 Easy, nearly new, <20k miles, <£5k, any colour, little bit more plush but much cheaper, little easier in the summer with the A/C.

- 1.2 Lounge, the dream Panda, brand new, winter pack, leather pack, Blue & Me, tinted windows, sunroof, my dream Panda. Would have an early mid life crisis if it got a scratch or a dent. All the option I like, cheap running costs, shiny gleaming little Panda.

Each would have their benefits, I think I'd be content with ANY one of the three. Only time can tell which I get, depending when I need it, how much I have and whether or not I can still tolerate the Panda but I can't see why not :D

Love all of your replies!

Prospectively, these are the three options I'd say I'd end up choosing ONE of;-

- 1.2 Pop, brand new, bog standard. Cheap to buy, cheap to run. Simplistically beautiful, bright white. Charming, utilitarian. Can take a knock and some scratches in its stride.

- 1.2 Easy, nearly new, <20k miles, <£5k, any colour, little bit more plush but much cheaper, little easier in the summer with the A/C.

- 1.2 Lounge, the dream Panda, brand new, winter pack, leather pack, Blue & Me, tinted windows, sunroof, my dream Panda. Would have an early mid life crisis if it got a scratch or a dent. All the option I like, cheap running costs, shiny gleaming little Panda.

Each would have their benefits, I think I'd be content with ANY one of the three. Only time can tell which I get, depending when I need it, how much I have and whether or not I can still tolerate the Panda but I can't see why not :D

Love all of your replies!

I really wouldn't go for the 1.2. I have a 4x4 TA - 4x4 as we live half the year on the edge of Dartmoor and our Italian home is up a kilometre of steep white road; TA because the 1.2 's a bit breathless on long journeys - Mrs b_u has a 5-year old 1.2 which I suspect is the best generation of 1.2, nippy enough but runs out of puff up long motorway hills, especially with the car full of wine and olive oil; the TA is only a gnat's cock slower than my previous 100HP in a straight line so I'd reckon a 2wd TA would be quicker in everyday driving; I get about 40mpg and I'd expect a few more from a non-4x4. Give the TA a good test drive.

Hello Panda owners,

I used to have an early 2012 1.2 Easy in turquoise which I specced with all sorts of flex options (like 60/40 split/fold with 3 seat belts, Comfort pack, folding passenger table, cargo box) as I thought it would all come in handy:)

I have to say the folding front passenger seat is a great little option, this old thread of mine gives you an idea of what is possible!
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii...ngle-mattress-into-new-panda-yes-you-can.html

But other than that, I have to agree with others on here who like the basic nature of the Panda - that is what it does best. I think what you have to do is write down all the options that you would like, and then have a really good think about whether you actually need them or not.

If you can live without optional extras, then of course that will leave you with more bargaining power to get a really good deal on a standard spec/stock car.

As for the engine, the 1.2 has of course had some bad press over the past few years, mainly to do with the Watchdog programme (epic thread from the 500 section: https://www.fiatforum.com/500/33982...se-hill-start-issues-watchdog-report-126.html).

My personal view hasn't really changed over the past year or so - if I was in the market for buying a new 1.2 500/Panda, I would be going down the nearly new/dealer stock route so that I could physically test drive the car I was buying. There is no reason why the 1.2 would ordinarily disappoint as it is a lovely little engine, it's just if you do get stuck with a dud combined with a less than pro-active dealer and Fiat Customer Services...well, you might wish you hadn't bothered:D(y)

TA 4x4 with factory options of Climate, Winter Pack (a must have), 5 seatbelts, Blue&Me, Parking Sensors, City Brake Control - Towbar and Bluetooth streaming aftermarket jobbies....

TA 4x4 with factory options of Climate, Winter Pack (a must have), 5 seatbelts, Blue&Me, Parking Sensors, City Brake Control - Towbar and Bluetooth streaming aftermarket jobbies....

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but what's your solution for Bluetooth streaming?

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but what's your solution for Bluetooth streaming?

Simples - Griffin BlueTrip. Pair to that, switch headunit to AUX and hit play on iPhone. Brilliant solution and it even has a microphone in it, so if a call comes in whilse streaming, you can answer on the phone and still be hands-free. When done, simply pull up 1/2" and it switches off, returning control to the Blue&Me. And not only does it stream music, it does all other Apps with audio, so native Apple Maps, iPlayer, TV and anything else of course. Simply Awesome!

VERY rare these days and no idea whey they stopped making them, but try Amazon.Com (US, not UK) as they appear now and then.

Attachments

• Farnborough 098.JPG
    Farnborough 098.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Farnborough 099.JPG
    Farnborough 099.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Farnborough 100.JPG
    Farnborough 100.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 70
I've just bought a 2016 Panda 1.2 petrol K-Way (LTD Edition in France) and am very pleased with.

It came with alloys; Blue and Me with USB socket; clim; Black with yellow ears; K-way interior part leather.

Rather disappointed with the dealer and almost total lack of PDI. Tyres still at 3 bar all round; computer with H still showing; bits of the K-Way pack missing. etc etc

The car is very nice though and reminds me a lot of our 2001 1.1 Panda Young.

The Panda has always been a car that loves to be thrashed and the new one is no different. Had me laughing out loud as I went through a series of bends yesterday.

In my case I previously had a POP 1.2 which I drove to over 80k in 3 years.

In the market for a new panda to replace it I went for the same. I like the simplicity and the simple maintenance of the Fire engine plus after running in fuel economy and smoothness improves a lot!

Did test drive a Twinair and it is a cracking motor, but was too buzzy for me, the vibration did my nut in. But as they say it's different strokes for different folks :)

Options on mine were coloured mirrors and roofbars plus alloy wheels which were fitted as a factory option as the vehicle order form confirms. I've got the multimedia adaptor fitted so I can listen to my tunes which was fitted post purchase.

Only things I've added has been a spare wheel and tools :)

I bought a 1.2 Easy Plus (alloys, adjust height drivers seat, black paint, red rails and mirrors, park sensors). Really like it and would only like to have three seats in back sometimes.

I've also ordered a 1.2 Easy with panoramic sunroof! Only seen about 3 of these ever advertised and really looking forward to it arriving.

Adjust height seat (which I set to lowest) is best option for me.

I'd like to have a fold flat passenger seat as the headrest doesn't remove, it prevents getting a step ladder inside (which I use for photography sometimes).

Back