General What makes the sporting quicker?

Currently reading:
General What makes the sporting quicker?

The 's' pre mk1 is a 899cc engine whereas the sporting was an 1108cc
I'm not 100% sure on the exact details of the mk2 's' I was under the assumption that the mk2 was the same engine as the sporting :p

I'm sure someone more in the know will be along soon :)

Some do, some don't. It looks like some have the 899 style gearbox with a different bellhousing. They seem to have been using up 899 gearboxes (and driveshafts) at least as late as 2002. If you have a reverse detente mechanism, you have a dry shaft box. Otherwise, check your gearbox oil level weekly!

Thanks for all your helps guys (y)
So what i can gather is that the engine and ecu on the 1108 are the same but the gearbox's differ and so does the trim.
And by wet joints do you mean oiled and greased joints are just grease?
Sorry for all the questions, its just i'm considering building a little track seicento for some weekend fun and am not sure if the s gearbox would ok for this.
thanks, josh

The "wet shaft" ones have the inner CV joint as part of the gearbox, so, if the seal goes, you loose the gearbox oil. "dry shaft" ones are conventional, grease filled CV joints, which stand a wee bit out from the gearbox/diff with a "cup" fitting into the box.

ECU and engine are, to all intents and purposes, identical.

Thanks fingers99 (y) that makes sense now.
And yes i was considering the 6 speed box, as far as i can tell with the 6 speed is that its a straight swap to the 1108 cc engine except i would need a spacer to limit the steering lock to avoid fouling. Is this true?
Thanks josh

im bit tired after 12 hours in garagers but
in sportings till 1999 (SPI) was shorter gearbox and they has better acceleration then S/SX
in sportings MPI gearbox was same like in S/SX and only trim was different
but MPI partly was with "wet shafts" gearboxes
these gearboxes are not "long" like S/SX gearbox from SPI

Found the guide for fitting spacer to the steering rack, defiantly considering the 6 speed box now. Dont think need much lock on a track anyway :)
Thanks for all your help guys! (y)
I'll post a couple pics once i've bought the sei and give rough idea of what i plan to do to it :)
thanks, josh

Back