What kind of hose clamp is this?

Currently reading:
What kind of hose clamp is this?

OwenCr

Hi there.

I'm hoping to replace my radiator on my Seicento today / this week. I have a question about the hose clamps currently used on the pipes:

shot.jpg

What type of hose clamp is this? I was expecting a screw / bolt type, but this one looks like you need to prod it with a screw-driver to adjust it?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot here ... I've just never seen one like this before.

Cheers.

Not sure what the official name is but these clips are old style versions of more modern "Ear Pinch" clips. They can not be adjusted and you will have to break open the clip to remove it and then replace with more traditional hose clips.

To remove this type of older ear pinch hose clip then you have to remove that outer crimp ring you have highlighted. To do this is a bit tricky and you have to ensure you don't damage the hose.

I use two methods to to remove these:

1) strong side cutters to snip/cut the two little legs on the crimp ring

2 using a pair of small but strong screwdrivers/pointed tool and inserting the tip of the tool into the crimping ring either side of the crimp and then lever apart. Often it is not possible to get two levers in so you may have to angle to get behind one of the corner legs and carefully work/twist on that, then the next

As far as I'm concerned they are HORRIBLE things. As are the more modern "Ear Pinch" clips.

Today most car manufacturers use Clic and Clic-R® hose clips which can be removed and put back with special hose pliers.

As far as I'm concerned they are HORRIBLE things. As are the more modern "Ear Pinch" clips.

Today most car manufacturers use Clic and Clic-R® hose clips which can be removed and put back with special hose pliers.

Thanks s130 for the explanation. These on the hoses must be the original stock clamps that were put on during the assembly line. The car may be old but it only did 17,500 miles when I bought it 2 years ago. It's time for them to go and put some better clamps on!

I'll look out for the Clic types you mentioned. Cheers.

Thanks s130 for the explanation. These on the hoses must be the original stock clamps that were put on during the assembly line. The car may be old but it only did 17,500 miles when I bought it 2 years ago. It's time for them to go and put some better clamps on!

I'll look out for the Clic types you mentioned. Cheers.
I personally would settle for stainless steel Jubilee clips when replacing old clips.

I often reuse the more modern Clip types if they are in good condition and have not been leaking. Reason being that they are there, they have formed themselves into the hose and if good and not leaking then they will easily Clip back on settle back in to their original positions (hose depression AND rotation/pressure points).

Back