Technical What is this

Currently reading:
Technical What is this

MannedSage1

Can someome tell me what this box is, what it does it do and is it supposed to click when the key is turned

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 66
If this isn't working would that Prevent the car from starting? Or turning over

The car wouldn't start (no fuel would get to the engine), but no, it wouldn't stop the engine turning over. If the engine is not turning over at all, this is 100% not your issue.

Only 3 or 4 things off the top of my head will stop the car turning over, No power (dead or faulty battery), Faulty starter motor (or wiring to it), seized engine (or some ancilary that just means the starter doesn't have enough oomph to spin it all).

Turn it over by hand. A socket on either the crank sprocket (or cam sprocket bolt if you're lazy), turn it clockwise. Even a 10th of a turn is enough, if it moves, its fine.

BUT.

We've already established on another thread you have a butchered engine loom, by all means check the engine is free, but forget all other theories until you've got and fitted an intact loom.

I wouldn't recommend turning the engine over via the cam pulley, I know it's tempting but a colleague of mine did it to set the timing and managed to get the timing to slip a few teeth and caught a few valves/pistons. And I know it's a non interference engine but I still wouldn't recommend it. I would have said try bump starting it, with some help obviously and 2nd gear, if it starts it's obviously not seized and there's a starter issue, either wiring (as you mentioned with the loom) or the starter it's self has packed up.

I wouldn't recommend turning the engine over via the cam pulley, I know it's tempting but a colleague of mine did it to set the timing and managed to get the timing to slip a few teeth and caught a few valves/pistons. And I know it's a non interference engine but I still wouldn't recommend it. I would have said try bump starting it, with some help obviously and 2nd gear, if it starts it's obviously not seized and there's a starter issue, either wiring (as you mentioned with the loom) or the starter it's self has packed up.

It shouldn't matter what "end" you turn it, the timing won't slip unless the belt isn't tensioned correctly to begin with. I'd always suggest going from the crank, but i'd be lying if i said i hadn't gone from the cam myself, Done it many times with no issue. it's a 30 second check that can be done on your own, unlike bump starting

Last edited:
Back