General What is the best Diesel to use ?

Currently reading:
General What is the best Diesel to use ?

B_Cooper

Hi All

I'm picking up my GPS MJ on saturday (hopefully) and received an email today about Shell V-power Diesel. I was just going to put regular diesel in because I thought it wouldn't make a difference really. BUT I was just wondering what people think ?

Should I use a special diesel ? and if so which is the best to use ?

Cheers
Ben

(y)

I tend to stay clear of supermarket diesel - sticking with Shell diesel extra. Would try the V-power if it was available in the area.

Well, the email I got this morning was telling me that V-power is now available nationwide due to popular demand. So i'm presuming, this is good fuel..........

Is it usually worth paying the extra for then ?? how much is it on average ??

Well, the email I got this morning was telling me that V-power is now available nationwide due to popular demand. So i'm presuming, this is good fuel..........

Don't believe everything you hear/read - it could very well be just another marketing ploy :rolleyes:

Without a doubt it's marketing. They wouldn't contact you and say "Our fuel is crap but buy it anyway" :p

But that doesn't mean its not good stuff. Modern diesels are becoming more tunable, and actually care about what they're burning. Especially if you are wanting to increase performance.

you do have a very valid point. Well I have 2 garages within 5 minutes of me.
One is Esso, one is Shell.

Esso - I used to work at and know the people therefore can show of my motor (y) but they only have diesel, and nothing special (n)

Shell - they have plenty of special fuels (y)

Apart from some where they are blue. :confused:

well in the states - Diesel is green, unleaded is black.

Now we go over there and would notice this, bring a yank over here - they'd be completly stummed!! !!

But where are they blue ?? that's quite interesting - not that colour of pumps is a huge interest to me :yum:

I only now use V power diesel,it does give you more responsiveness,I understand it keeps your engine cleaner and burns more efficiently,Audi used it in their diesel car that won le mans last year,it has been developed by Ferrari,it costs about 6p a litre more but you get what you pay for,I've found it makes a difference and thats why I buy it.

I only now use V power diesel,it does give you more responsiveness,I understand it keeps your engine cleaner and burns more efficiently,Audi used it in their diesel car that won le mans last year,it has been developed by Ferrari,it costs about 6p a litre more but you get what you pay for,I've found it makes a difference and thats why I buy it.

Well on that note i'll definatly be a V Power customer!!

You can't base an opinion on a single tank. You may be driving it harder, the atmospheric conditions may be different, as may be the traffic and journeys.

I found in my Tipo that I could on a fill-to-fill get anywhere between 20 to 30mpg running the same fuel.

i did it on the same route, slightly later in the day but before 8am so traffic was still light, similar amount of fuel and load, speed not going above 85.
i regulary get 60+mpg on motorways even with heavy load aslong as i keep at or below 2.5krpm.
i was suprised to get such a drop in mpg as though it would be the same as high octane petrol which you normally gain enough mpg to make up the cost difference

my local garage is a BP one... and I nearly always fill up on BP ultimate... when I get caught out and have to fill up elsewhere, I can notice the difference.... not in power, but It always seems to run smoother on the ultimate... (and smoke less, so must be burning more efficiantly) apparently it protects and cleans, stops the injectors getting blocked, stops deposits forming ect......

edit: I do about 1,000 miles a week....

hi there, best to check out this months what car magazine where they have done an extensive test and provided results from what i can see it makes bugger all difference save your money mate.

all this talk of supermarket fuel being rubbish is rubbish. I drive the same journey everyday, all motorway at the same speed. on a tank of shell o got 37mpg, on a tank of tesco i got 41mpg! its luck of the draw!

Back