General What is the best Diesel to use ?

Currently reading:
General What is the best Diesel to use ?

How much do you pay for this stuff on average ??

The last time I filled up with Shell V-Power Diesel it cost me 99p/litre. (y)

I've also noticed a mpg increase over Tesco's diesel, I used to get about 55mpg when running Tesco's diesel and now I can easily get 60+mpg on a run with V-Power (when driving carefully of course ;)).

i recently tried v power diesel on a 250mile m-way trip didn't notice any performance gains and mpg dropped from 60+mpg on normal shell to 53mpg on v power, on supermarket i get about 47mpg.
mines a remapped mk2

am I right in thinkin shell have 3 types of diesel ?? which would you advise on using ??

I use BP ultimate diesel simply cause the car is so much nicer to drive on it, smooth and happy to pick up and rev through its power band. Where as running on sainsburys or regular diesel it feels a bit lumpy and unwilling to pick up on a bad tank! As for the MPG read out its pretty much the same but i am noticing i'm getting more from a tank even with my heavy right foot.

As for tesco sh*te fuel i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole! Used it in my petrol stilo once and it ran like an absolute dog, lumpy and not happy revving at all. Got caught short with the GP once and put tesco diesel in it and it ran like absolute sh*t again, so i avoid it!

I should think if you got a remapped car, which optimises the ECU to make the most of decent quality fuel it would make more sense to use the best quality you can get to! As for me i'm sticking with BP ultimate, i would use V-power diesel if my shell had it!

Hi All

I'm picking up my GPS MJ on saturday (hopefully) and received an email today about Shell V-power Diesel. I was just going to put regular diesel in because I thought it wouldn't make a difference really. BUT I was just wondering what people think ?

Should I use a special diesel ? and if so which is the best to use ?

Cheers
Ben

(y)

Keep to Shell or BP, I ahve used V power and I cannot tell any difference in fuel consumption or power as compared to Diesel extra.

BP Ultimate Diesel really does make a big difference. It's the only thing I put in my 1.9 Sporting!

2 reasons;

1) The car feels sluggish and laggy on anything else
2) Nectar points= free booze with the amount of miles I do!

My wife got the Punto which I love to drive , but I run a remapped Pug 306 HDI . I used to fill up at Morrisons (n) but now use Shell standard Diesel :slayer: the main difference I've I can report Is lot less smoke when you accelerate hard so there must be a difference.

The Shell V-Power Diesel is not sold at my local station would like to try it .

The Shell drivers club points card is a waste of time you got to spend £960 on Diesel to get a £5 gift voucher.:confused:

I use V-Power diesel in my 1.9 and cant really tell, but i have never really used anything other than shell diesel, extra and then onto v-power, seems to make more of a difference in petrols. Just be glad you dont run mine, if i tickle it round town i get 35mpg and motorway about 45 mpg, but if i develop my heavy left foot i get 32 ish mpg and its more fun, so i just do that

I very much doubt supermarkets will have thier own 'recipe' fuel produced. Making it pretty much the same as any filling station across the country. My 1.9 runs fine on normal diesel regardless of where its from. I have tried BP Ulitmate, i noticed no difference.

I think alot of the improvements mentioned are psychological. You have paid a fair amount more for your fuel and you tell yourself it must be better, so you start thinking there is improvements.

Someone needs to get thier car on a rolling road and do tests on the different varities of diesel and get some true results.

In the mean time, i will continue to use fuel from whichever garage is closest.

just to add to my previous post on this topic, I was forced to fill up with standard esso diesel two days ago..... and the car was smoking twice as much at least... after another tankfull of BP ultimate, the smoke has gone again......

as I said before, I can't tell any performance increase, but smoke is unburned diesel, so the less smoke the efficient the burn... (y)

All filling stations use different additives. ;)

But there isn't a fuel refinery for each filling station brand. Fuel has to meet certain criteria before it can go on sale. As I said before, I use diesel from any filling station, i have noticed no difference in any of them, same consumption, same smoke from the exhaust (very little).

But if people want to spend an extra 6p a litre on diesel then fair enough.

Saw an image of normal diesel and ''special'' diesel. The special stuff looks like water, whereas the normal has a bit of colouring to it. I'm guessing, clear has to be better than murky.

So i'll stick with Vpower or Ultimate. Ultimate more than likely - get the nectar points (y)

But there isn't a fuel refinery for each filling station brand. Fuel has to meet certain criteria before it can go on sale. As I said before, I use diesel from any filling station, i have noticed no difference in any of them, same consumption, same smoke from the exhaust (very little).

But if people want to spend an extra 6p a litre on diesel then fair enough.

Yes, all "regular" diesel is similar (bar different additives) but we're talking about Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate in this thread, which has a higher cetane rating. (y)

Yes, all "regular" diesel is similar (bar different additives) but we're talking about Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate in this thread, which has a higher cetane rating. (y)

I know that, but people in this thread are saying to stay clear of supermarket fuel as its poor quality. I know the special diesels sold have a higher cetane rating, I just doubt it gives any real performance gains over regular diesel.

Greetings from Swansea!

I have a GP 1.9JTD Sporting and have tried several brands of diesel fuel, my findings are the following:

Tesco: my car didn't like it at all!
Sainsbury's: Slightly better, still sluggish in low revs and lots of smoke under hard acceleration.
Shell: I used plain shell diesel; Shell Extra or V-Power was not available in Swansea last year. The car ran better than the supermarket fuel, still smoked a lot though.
BP Ultimate: It transformed my car completely! I've been using it for 11 months now, all I can say is that the car feels livelier at lower revs, smokes a lot less under hard acceleration and sounds less clattery than before. Mind you, the difference in clatter was evident from the second tank. HOWEVER: I haven't noticed any difference in consumption.

What prompted me to use BP Ultimate was an article on Car Magazine, where they ran a Corolla Verso on Ultimate diesel, and after a three month period they checked the innards of the engine and found them clean. Hence the less smoke from the exhaust.

I will soon start using Shell V-Power though, it is cheaper than BP Ultimate!

Petrol and Diesel!

As most know Shell V-Power is the next generation brand of the popular Optimax which from results released by Shell showed that Shell Optimax was purchased 1 out of 5 times from cars filling up within the UK.

Obviously that seems like impressive figures since the average price of Optimax and now V-Power on average sits at about 6 - 7p higher than the normal petrol. So what’s better??

When I use to tune N/A Seicento Sporting, Abarth kit version I found that when raising the compression to 11:1 normal petrol didn’t hit the mark and the engine ran rather ruff and had some serious flat spots especially with the up rated 40mm Tricker Throttle body. When I started using Optimax and now V-Power a 300 mile period is needed for the ECU to adjust to the higher octane. Once this run in period was covered the engine was smooth and ran without flat spots...
The point is you need to let the ECU a just to the higher rated fuel which can take up to 300 miles and not just judge the V-Power or V-Power diesel on the odd tank properly mixed with normal diesel, you need to use it for a period of time possibly indefinitely and let it work its magic!

On the major note of this thread I don’t believe for 1 minute that V-Power diesel is worth the extra but that’s business as there has always been a higher sale price on premium tier anything regardless of the % improvement. I personally use V-Power diesel for my V-Power Club card and also because I like the idea that it doesn’t smoke as much as normal diesel but that’s just me... :D
I also like the fact that with my first Seicento which had 28k on the engine I stripped the engine down and the pistons where filthy a long with valves and generally a lot of soot but on my second Seicento which had 44k on the clock but had only been run on Optimax the engine was clean... FACT!

In regards to what someone mentioned the V-Power Diesel is clear like water compared to a yellow like colour of the normal diesel fuels that is because it does not have all the impurities in the V-Power Diesel that is in the normal diesel... Liquid engineering comes to mind!

Cheers

Last edited:
Well I was stuck on whether to use Bp Ultimate or Shell V Power.

I worked it out that Bp Ultimate would be easier to get hold of - but seeing as my car has only done 437 miles, there is still time to change over to Shell if it works out cheaper - although Nectar points from Bp could be a bonus :)

Back