Technical what headunit

Currently reading:
Technical what headunit

Sarakalin

Hi, all I'm new here and have a few questions;

firstly, what head unit do people have to power speakers to the rear?
Right now I only have a 50GBP budget.
Secondly, have any of you fitted speakers within your parcel shelf? If so are there any guides?
Lastly, if I were to go through the parcel shelf route, would I also need a Car amp or should the (future) head unit be enough to power the speakers? (2x 400w pyramid power).

really hope you guys can help as most of the people I have asked are contradicting each other

TIA

Hi Tia,

most of modern head units have front and rear direct speaker output which can be faded and balanced front/rear - left/right. Some of them have also RCA outputs to drive a (usually rear) separate amplifier.
You're talking about 400w speakers; my guess is that they would be too heavy for the parcel shelf ! I'd suggest to install mid/high range speakers in the rear doors (or panels if 3 doors car) and a bass-box/cube/tunnel in the trunk.
No headunit will be ok to drive those directly (but the mid/high range) with enough power so you'll need a power amp, as close as possible of the bass unit. You'll have to run power cable (big section) direct from battery positive and audio (RCA) cables to the power amp. I'd recommend to fit a huge ultra-fast capacitor in // with the power input on the amp to allow high dynamics. A low-pass filter at the audio input might be necessary aswell if your amp has not one built-in ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Last edited:
EDIT:
Ah thanks, I was just trying to see if I could get away without having to buy an amp, but it looks like I will have to.
But do you know the max size of the rear housing (3 door), the speakers in them are 6'' but the ones I have are 8.3/8.4'' ish. Would they fit?
Also, would you recommend any headunit - stereo?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Car audio is a more overwhelming thing than a lot of people assume.

The first thing I would say, your speakers are not *really* 400w. They may be 400w MAX but they cannot sustain that. The best figure to look at when looking at audio is the RMS value. My guess would be that the RMS value for those Pyramid speakers is close to 50w, which is about average for the output of a good headunit (per channel) or a cheap-ish amp.

OK, with that out of the way, you want a headunit which has either 4 built in outputs, or 2 + RCA if you are using a separate amp. Assuming you're using the stock front speakers, a headunit with 4x50w would be perfect for what you have. I'm a big fan of Pioneer, and I have an older variant of this which is only slightly over your budget, though you will likely need to buy a fascia adaptor and wiring harness too.

As for where to put the speakers, I don't like to disagree with Bernie but they won't be too heavy for the parcel shelf, they also won't fit in the door enclosure without serious modification.

If it was me, I'd buy a 2nd hand shelf off ebay to chop the speakers into, so that you still have the original to put in when you come to sell the car.

Ive got a 5 door, don't know which one you've got, but having had the door cards off I'd reckon you could go up at least an inch from standard if you're handy with a Dremel.

Thank you, I might be getting an amp from a friend for around 50 powering at 1600watt max. (I believe), this isn't too much of a problem as I'm getting some money in soon. However, looking at stereos is a different matter, they range anywhere from 60 to 1000's. Are there much differences in the cheaper ones than the more expensive? I'm just trying to get things together and sorted as I have a friend who can fit it all for me.

Back