General What Have I done ???

Currently reading:
General What Have I done ???

majik

I have just changed the Alternator and the Cam Belt.

Car now wont start and timing belt jumps/slips 5 notches every time.(i have tried 4 times and reset it each time)

Car starter motor is fine and can here it clicking away but car just wont fire up.

Any ideas ??

No cambelt tension... take care, do not continue until the tensioners are set up and the cam timing correct or it will be trouble if your particular engine is an "interference" type...

Hi

I think i have the fire one !!! i know its OHC lol

How can i get the belt tighter though, I put right angled pliers into pulley as book says and pull tight as possible ???

Also surely that would only explain the cam belt and not the fact the car isn't firing.

Cam belt doesn't move when i turn it by hand only when engine attempts to fire etc.

It wont / cant fire if the cam timing is out, it may now and again through pure chance, to fire and run the valves in the firing cylinder both need to be closed to compress the mixture etc. That is done by the cam timing belt, if the engine is an interference engine the pistons will hit the valves and that will be expensive possibly terminal.

Try re-posting with a more intuitive Title so you get the attention of the engine experts. (y)

if it was me, i'd take the belt off, check the water pump rotates, check the crank rotates (with the plugs out) and check the cam rotates, if one of them doesnt, something is wrong.also check the tensioner if ok,really it should be changed with the belt

IIRC Tension the belt so you can only just twist the belt 90degrees on the longest part(well thats what i was taught on a ford engine) the right angled pliers you used will do the job, i used right angled circlip pliers last time

Everything rotates with plugs in but is stiff.

Will try again with plugs out tomoz etc.

How do i get the tension right tho, I have tightened so i can rotate 90 degrees just but its still slipping 5 teeth etc !!

Belt was matched to old one, seemed same- same size same sized teeth etc

Last edited:
im in beaconsfield

I can turn engine by hand ok, belt doesn't slip at all but when i try to fire it up it slips 5 teeth.

Going to take out plugs now and try again.

Have you tried removing the camshaft sprocket and checking the keyway and key also do the same to the crankshaft sprocket, sounds like one of the keys is broken. Or you could get the car recovered to me and I will have a look at it for you. I could check out the other issues you are having

sorry you have lost me -

No teeth are messing on either sprocket nor do the appear damaged in anyway.

Whats a keyway and whats a key ??

Just tried it with plugs out, Raotated engine by hand 3 times and both marks are now 2 teeth out. Down from 5 which is getting better i guess.

Yes rotating the engine clockwise and cam belt is on right way too, arrows on belt prove it lol.

I live in South London Surrey area can you get the car recovered to me and I can have a look at it for you

Can't really get it recovered atm as its in pieces, My partners cousing is coming round tonite who is a mechanic so if no joy i will put it back together and maybe contact you tomoz to get it recovered etc.

Car is now running a dream, Was the Crankshaft sensor which was dead, changed it today and car is now running perfectly again.

Thanks for all your help guys, Im preety proud that i managed to change all that in just over a weekend and got car running again, Would have been all sweet by saturday if the sensor was ok lol.

Certainly did lol, Now onto next problem she has

Brakes feel spongy ?? guessing they need bleeding etc, had complete new rear set few months back. Hard Job ??

Back