Technical What engine will really make the sei go?

Currently reading:
Technical What engine will really make the sei go?

Hi i'm relatively new to the forums as i have just bought a yellow sei sporting witha 1.2 punto engine in it.

Still doesn't feel that quick. but then i did have a mazda 323 v6 as my last car!!

what are the common engine transplant done for the sei??

turbo's?

nitrous?

chipping?

it already has induction kit and janspeed exhaust (not straight through)

could i put a 1.4 punto engine in??

you already have one with the common engine swap done to it.

nothing else "just drops in"

How tuned is the current engine. You could add a 40mm throttle body and a new ecu chip and a hotter cam.

beyond that, turbo'ing can be done. based around the garett GT15

a mk2 uno (1.4 turbo) engine can be put in, but its by no means easy or cheap

Slippy said:
Hi i'm relatively new to the forums as i have just bought a yellow sei sporting witha 1.2 punto engine in it.

Still doesn't feel that quick. but then i did have a mazda 323 v6 as my last car!!

turbo's?

nitrous?

chipping?

it already has induction kit and janspeed exhaust (not straight through)

1.4 PUNTO wont fit, its too tall, the 1.4 Uno turbo will, with about 3 grand thrown at it.

Your not expecting V6 performance from it are you?

Slippy said:

You answered your own question.....
Slippy said:
i have just bought a yellow sei sporting witha 1.2 punto engine in it.

Slippy said:
Yes, Van Aaken Developments do them. They make ~100Bhp and around 105ftln torque I think. They make it shift well....

Slippy said:
If you want..but you can only go far without having to add more fuel or lowering compression ratio...

Slippy said:
chipping?
PM Mckrich on here. He does them for around £40 and theyre very highly rated!

Slippy said:
If youve got £6k free yes. Otherwise forget it :eek:

Couldnt have a punto engine in it tom, it is too tall, could have the uno lump tho.

Theresa (1.4 cinq turbo) has had this conversion and it has cost in excess of 5k!

That is running at approx 127bhp for a car that weighs approx 700kgs that is pretty chuffing quick!

Unless you have serious moolah, and considering you have just bought a sei with the 1242 conversion, i would say you are quite skint at the mo, i would suggest that you wait around and start saving :)

AppleSei said:
Couldnt have a punto engine in it tom, it is too tall, could have the uno lump tho.

Theresa (1.4 cinq turbo) has had this conversion and it has cost in excess of 5k!

That is running at approx 127bhp for a car that weighs approx 700kgs that is pretty chuffing quick!

Unless you have serious moolah, and considering you have just bought a sei with the 1242 conversion, i would say you are quite skint at the mo, i would suggest that you wait around and start saving :)

I am running the 1242 16v in my Cinquecento and plan to upgrade it to a 1368. I can't see why a 1368 wouldn't fit. As far is I have worked it out there will be some minor modifications needed other than moving the header tank. Reason why I haven't done it yet is the availability of a 1368, which isn't new.

as far as i knew, the mk2 uno and puntogt engines despite both being 1372cc engines the uno one will fit, but the punto one won't. never got the exact reason why it is taller though.

no said you can't put a 1368 in there, but then fitting a 1242 16v isnt exactly cheap either really is it!

arc said:
as far as i knew, the mk2 uno and puntogt engines despite both being 1372cc engines the uno one will fit, but the punto one won't. never got the exact reason why it is taller though.

no said you can't put a 1368 in there, but then fitting a 1242 16v isnt exactly cheap either really is it!

Yeah no one said you couldn't fit it, but Oldschool was the first to say you could (on this thread at least) :)

And it may be expensive to fit a 16V if getting someone else to do it, but I'm sure it would be less expensive than a UNO turbo and the guy didn't make any mention to budgets or anything is first post.

I think it sounds like an interesting conversion that I'm sure will be done in the near future when the engines become available 2nd hand as they're a bit new yet. :D

Mmmmmm a 1368 Fire hi-boost turbo, I wonder lol! ;)

Oldschool said:
I can't see why a 1368 wouldn't fit.
this may seem really sumb but when i swapped my engine where my origional said 1108 by the inlet manifold it said 1368 but it looks exactly the same could that be what this is if so would i need a different ecu because for some reason it isn't working

arc said:
did i read somewhere the 1368 was an alloy block, and was really suitable for turbo charging?

It certainly is. Having a stroke of 84mm and 72mm bore it is great for forced induction.

But there is one feature of the engine hardly anyone looks at: The weight.

The 1368 16v engine is only 1kg heavier than the original 999cc FIRE. This makes it lighter than the 1108, which makes it handle better than fitted with the 1108.

arc said:
it has the stroke and bore going for it, and being lighter is good - but is the block strong enough with it being alloy instead?

Don't underestimate alloys. The block can take a lot. The standard compression is in excess off 11:1.

Oldschool said:
The 1368 16v engine is only 1kg heavier than the original 999cc FIRE. This makes it lighter than the 1108, which makes it handle better than fitted with the 1108.

:worship:. But its presumeably much taller than the 1108/1242? so the engine mounts will need some alterations to make it sit right?

Oldschool said:
Don't underestimate alloys. The block can take a lot. The standard compression is in excess off 11:1.

okie kokie, like i said - i wasn't sure. I'm still learning things all the time :)

I thought a high CR would be bad to start turbo'ing, you'd have to do work to bring that down wouldn't you?

arseofbox said:
:worship:. But its presumeably much taller than the 1108/1242? so the engine mounts will need some alterations to make it sit right?

Some alterations are needed. It will not drop in just like that. Anyway, isn't it fun when a few things have to be made up to specification?

Tuners need some fun too.

Back