what engine is this

Currently reading:
what engine is this

I reckon it's a motorbike engine transplant seeing as it's revving to nearly 10K. Not many other car engines will rev that high and be road legal. The Honda S2000 mk1 redlines at 9K for instance, and the Hillman Imp engine in the right state of tune could hit 8 - 9K revs.

Bear in mind that the video is titled Fiat 600, and as that is barely much bigger than a 500 then the most likely engine is from a motorbike. They'll be small and compact enough to fit, plus have more than enough power to make such a light car shift and hit high rpm's!

well an uno 999 with carbs and no limiter can hit 9k easy

infact is your uno a carb being mk1

i think it's likely a fiat engine it sounds like a 4 pot so not a bike

a wile ago i found a video of a tuned lampardy twin cam 2.0 litre reving to 10k but i fail to find it again

I'm sure it could. Once or twice maybe then you'll end up with a load of scrap metal where the engine used to be...

infact is your uno a carb being mk1

Yes, it is and it doesn't like going much above 5K revs as the camshaft, valves and intake are restrictive for high rev breathing. Notice that it is designed to produce maximum torque at 2750rpm, the torque curve then goes down at higher revs and the power drops too. So revving really high is pointless.

i think it's likely a fiat engine it sounds like a 4 pot so not a bike

Hmmm, so how many cylinders does a Fireblade, Blackbird, Hyabusa, Ninja, Thundecat, Exxup etc. have? :rolleyes:

a wile ago i found a video of a tuned lampardy twin cam 2.0 litre reving to 10k but i fail to find it again

You can blueprint a car engine and carry out some extensive balancing. You also have to ensure that the induction and exhaust system are able to flow sufficient amount or gases to hit 10K revs. However if it's running on carbs it's likely to run like a dog below 3 -4K as carbs are very difficult to tune for such a wide spread of revs (much like motorbike engines). In other words a car engine running to 10K will be in a race tune and largely unsuitable for road use.

Going back to the 600 in the video. As I mentioned it's basically an update of the 500 and there are kits available for the 500 to fit big bike engines. With limited engine room a bike engine is an easy swap into a 600 so I still suspect that's what it is ;)

well obviously i know there's no point in revving unless you have had major head work and uprated exhaust and induction

but if you have that is a very good way to get allot of power from a normally aspirated engine

3_quarter.JPG

this car has 1301 non turbo in with a croma 2 litre carb running at 8500rpm all day has had many races under it's belt and never had a single engine problem

it had about 100hp an weighed only 650kg including driver

as for your uno i think it would surprised you how strong fiat fire derived engines are

i found some more 1050 brazilian engined cars but didn't think to post them they were all tuned to 9000rpm and even 11000rpm as seen in the old fiat 127

ps had a guy come in at work a wile ago said his uno 45 could do 90 in third

defo motorbike engine

littlepip17 said:

dont be silly, you need excellent balance to hit that rpm on a 4 stroke, the 999 is a mass produced engine so the chance of any given unit have the the required balance is 0%, the conrolds would come off and the crank bearings would fail very quickly.

Last edited:
a lot of smaller 4 cycle 4pots will hit 9krpm, once :p

on the dyno at uni we got a 1.4 kseries on standard internals and an aftermarket carb to hit 9,500rpm, had it sat there for around 20mins, seemed happy enough, was producing something like 92hp, and 60lb'ft, wheras at 6krpm it was 115hp and 85lb.ftm peak torque was more like 2,800 or therbouts.

so yeah, rev's, but kinda of a waste of time (n)

a lot of smaller 4 cycle 4pots will hit 9krpm, once :p

on the dyno at uni we got a 1.4 kseries on standard internals and an aftermarket carb to hit 9,500rpm, had it sat there for around 20mins, seemed happy enough, was producing something like 92hp, and 60lb'ft, wheras at 6krpm it was 115hp and 85lb.ftm peak torque was more like 2,800 or therbouts.

so yeah, rev's, but kinda of a waste of time (n)

Exactly.. no point revving at 9-10k if claimed bhp is 4500 revs

still impressive to see...

My first set of two wheels was a 125 bored out to 170 poilin kit that revved at 14k... even down to lil r/c car/plane engines 0.49cc engines rev about 33k revs....

crazy to think that at 10k revs each piston is doing 316 strokes a second

Back