General What does the 5 cylinder engine sound like?

Currently reading:
General What does the 5 cylinder engine sound like?

I have to say, even driving without my foot to the floor i can tell this car is a lot faster than 0-60 in 8.5 secs..
I saw somewhere before that the fiat figures in one book were actually 0-62mph in 7.9 secs and i get the feeling even that was understated...
Mid range power in the car is awesome, i had all sorts of **** getting out my way tonight and as soon as they moved over i was gone..
Once you get used to the way the car responds you can feed off it..

I agree, I admit I had a terrible start, and left so much rubber on the road. Next time, I told Nige I will keep TC on, lol.

And I wouldn't bother with the K&N, it is mainly noise - CDA is the one, imo.

Re: The 5 cylinder engine sounds like this!!

Stuart DemonD said:
I doubt it would have got to 60 in 6 secs.

Even pre-remap and CDA, I was doing standing starts without ASR/TC on with Nige and his box o tricks in the car - I was doing 8.5, which was book speed for the 5-door. But I was probably spinning for the first second, lol.

Still, mine is now a lot quicker, but no official times yet - need drier roads.

Like I said Stu, I was surprised and I can't explain it.

Even if I said that there's 1 second on the start where I can't here the engine, it still makes it sub 8secs.

Interestingly the official FIAT service CD gives the car data as sub 8 secs to sixty, and the dealer told me they were quicker than the official figures too, which is curious.

I'm definitely going to have to repeat this with video to see if I get the same results, or more likely show the anomaly.

BTW anyone know from memory what speed the car is doing when the selespeed changes from 1-2 & 2-3 ?

Paul

Can't recall 1-2, but 2-3 just under the 60 mark on my speedo.

Btw, I keep it in manual, and don't lift, just pedal to the metal.

Also, I think the 5-door is a tad slower than the 3-door by a few tenths.

Stuart DemonD said:
Can't recall 1-2, but 2-3 just under the 60 mark on my speedo.

Btw, I keep it in manual, and don't lift, just pedal to the metal.

Also, I think the 5-door is a tad slower than the 3-door by a few tenths.

I thought 2-3 was about 60, so that seems to agree with the call of 60 shorthly after the gear change.

I also had it in manual and didn't lift until I called 60.

The 5 door is slightly slower becuse it's heavier. AFAIK the official figures are recorded 2 up with a full tank. When I did my run I was only 1 up, but I did have a full tank which is another 50kg or so!

Paul

Stuart DemonD said:
I doubt it would have got to 60 in 6 secs.

Even pre-remap and CDA, I was doing standing starts without ASR/TC on with Nige and his box o tricks in the car - I was doing 8.5, which was book speed for the 5-door. But I was probably spinning for the first second, lol.

Still, mine is now a lot quicker, but no official times yet - need drier roads.

PjP...thanks for clarifying; that's still an impressive 0-60 even if you did 'loose' about a second or so of the recording. I've quoted Stu's post as the Fiat 0-60 fig for a 5dr is 8.9 so even pre modifications Stu's car was performing about half a second quicker than official figures. Now a three door should be able to do the same which would make the actual 0-60 about 8secs - which I'd say in the right conditions I could easily acheive in mine. It seems the Abarth is quite as slow and heavy footed as some make out.

Interesting story about the Type R 'race' on the M way. Yesterday I was travelling south on the M5 early in the morning. A Honda S2000 approached me. I was doing about 90, he didn't sit on my bumper and was quite respectful and safe but I could still tell he was probably thinking I wish this Fiat would **** off!! So I decided to see what the Abarth could do. I slowed to about 80 so in fith the engine was at its sweet spot for torque. By now the S2000 was very much right behind me - I floored it and unbelieveably I began to pull away, at about 130 there was a good distance between us and I decided to 'back of' I slowed to 90 again, he cought up and I let him by. Now I thought he's not going to let me by again (pride and all that) so I decided to push him. I got nearer to him as if I was wanting to get by again...He put his foot down at about 100mph so did I - and again to my delight I stuck with him I wouldn't have had the omph to pass him but he couldn't 'shake' me. He eventually got the better of me when we had both reached about 130 on a long straight he just kept it pinned and must of hit about 155-having 237bhp to my 170 he was always going to have me on top speed. All I can conclude is Fiat Stilo Abarth 163 lbs per feet at 3500 rpm played Honda S200's 153 lbs per feet at 7500 rpm. The Honda S2000 is also only 5kg's lighter. Damn goodfun and interesting.

'Race' me? No, that's illegal - it just so happened that I was behind him and doing the same speed. Anyway I'm too old for that sort of thing ;-)

I've set the speed limiter on mine to 90mph to stop me driving too fast - its all to easy to reach illegal speeds just coming down the slip road without even realising!

Paul

Ok, so you used the phrase 'outrun me', lets not get into semantics, on the type R anecdote - most of us have had a moment like this before. I just thought it was an interesting performance related story I'd share. True enough a bit irresponsible - but as I say we all have our moments! The last thing I want is a moral argument...or an argument of any discription for that matter I enjoy this forum too much for that...

jasper said:
Ok, so you used the phrase 'outrun me', lets not get into semantics, on the type R anecdote - most of us have had a moment like this before. I just thought it was an interesting performance related story I'd share. True enough a bit irresponsible - but as I say we all have our moments! The last thing I want is a moral argument...or an argument of any discription for that matter I enjoy this forum too much for that...

Sorry Jasper, I think you misunderstood me - I was just playing innocent !

Lets face it, you only buy an Abarth for one reason don't you?

I set the speed limiter on mine to save me from myself !! And I am getting past it now (at least thats what the wife says)

Paul

jasper said:

Sorry PJP I've just realised I've got all ratty and over sensitive in my reply please ignore me I've 'got one on me' at the moment I'm losing it !!

PJP please see my sorry we're trying to out sorry each other now!!! can we all just have a nice big hug? or have I stepped over that line now?!! I'm all confused I need to go to bed....that's not a proposition...ahhhhh God I'll just shut up now.........................!!

jasper said:
Sorry PJP I've just realised I've got all ratty and over sensitive in my reply please ignore me I've 'got one on me' at the moment I'm losing it !!

No problem

Paul

I'm off to bed to dream of Honda S2000 races and hopefully wake up a little less sensitive (that sounds like another double meaning)!!

Paul Westhead said:
You can actually set a speed limiter on the abarth's ........

How do you do that then ?

AFAIK Its on all stilo's.

In the setup for the car you simply select a speed, then when you exceed it you get an audible warning, plus a lamp and text warning on the dash. The visual warning stays on until you slow below the speed you set as your maximum.

So it doesn't actually 'limit' your speed, you can still go as fast as you like. What is does do is stop you going too fast without realising it, which is quite easy in the Abarth!

Paul

Matt_Abarth said:
I think it sounds like a diesel but then im only young, nice car koarang.

F*** me!!! Sounds like a diesel?!- if your hearing's that bad know, what's it going to be like when your old!

Paul

Back