General What does the 5 cylinder engine sound like?

Currently reading:
General What does the 5 cylinder engine sound like?

Paul Westhead

Hi people if you could describe the osund out of the 5 cylinder engine in the stilo how would you describe it ?

I'd describe it as bloody gorgeous - In my opinion it's one of the best things about the car. Apparently it sounds like an original Audi Quattro 5cyl engine, I say apparently because I've never heard one of these, but I'm sure it is a correct comparison.

Basically the Abarth starts off at a nice low burble at idle, over about 2700rpm mine makes a slight whining noise in the background (like a car with a supercharger or turbo might) then above 3000rpm the gruff low barritone like sound rises to a a bit of a screamer as you approach the redline. Everytime I floor it, if there are people around, a few will ALWAYS look. I've even noticed people inside there cars look too.

The exhaust note helps too it's very metallic and snorty sounding even with the standard factory fit - a well tuned aftermarket unit would make it sound even better I imagine.

In reality It sounds somewhere between these 2 sounds...

go to page 1 here : http://www.stilostyle.co.uk/Flash.htm

and try my intro to my Abarth site here http://www.stiloabarth.btinternet.co.uk/

the sound for this was taken with a cheap camera before i got my car..
In the next few weeks i will be getting some good video of the car, using a better camera, that will hopefully show you the real sounds as the powerflow exhaust i have had fitted doesn't alter the original sound it just emphasizes it..

I must take some sound clips with the CDA on - seems to roar after 4000 revs, oh yes :)

I love starting the car in the morning and hearing that sweet burble.

It's a big like this in my experience BBBBRRRRRRRGGRRBRBBRBBBRRRR but with a little bit of A and a few Us,

Oh I am soooo useful!

Paul Westhead said:
Hi people if you could describe the osund out of the 5 cylinder engine in the stilo how would you describe it ?

It sounds fantastic, just like Audi Quattro without the Turbo dump valve!

If I don't drive the Abarth for a couple of days I start to get withdrawl symptoms. First car I've had in years that I just want to get into and drive!

Paul

pjp said:
It sounds fantastic, just like Audi Quattro without the Turbo dump valve!

If I don't drive the Abarth for a couple of days I start to get withdrawl symptoms. First car I've had in years that I just want to get into and drive!

Paul

this is why i can't wait to go out and buy an abarth its just not fair i want to test drive one first off but i also want the car now :bang: :cry:

Still not :mad: they have now said that they can't find a abarth in stock any where although they are still waiting on their demonstrator

Re: The 5 cylinder engine sounds like this!!

pjp said:
Here it is:

http://www.pankhurst.f2s.com/stilo/abarth0-60.wav

This is a standing start, I didn't nail the throttle till about 10mph, so you could do it quicker. You'll here 2 gear changes, both done automatically by the Selespeed at the Redline.

Paul

I've just listened to this...impressive- what's even more impressive that almost dead on 6secs someone says 60 if this was a standing start it means about 0-60 in 6secs dead. Now I've always though fiats official o-62 of 8.5 sec for the three door is a little conservative but 6 dead is Alfa 147 GTA territory. So is your car modded in any way? I don't mean to cause any offense by this question, I'm just intrigued.

Even my 1.0 Uno engine sounded wicked when recorded fromt he car :D

jasper said:
I've just listened to this...impressive- what's even more impressive that almost dead on 6secs someone says 60 if this was a standing start it means about 0-60 in 6secs dead. Now I've always though fiats official o-62 of 8.5 sec for the three door is a little conservative but 6 dead is Alfa 147 GTA territory. So is your car modded in any way? I don't mean to cause any offense by this question, I'm just intrigued.

I wondered how long it would be before someone asked this.

The car isn't modded, and I was sursprised my self when I played back the recording.

I've been trying to figure out if there is anything that account for this.

I know the speedo under-reads by 10% (from the RoadAngel), but I also know I called a bit late the 60 - you can probably figure out what speed I'm doing from the point the selespeed does the auto change up at the redline.

At the start of the recording there was 2 seconds of silence I deleted, and I had wondered if the engine just wasn't audible at first, but I also know I started the recorder, put it down somewhere safe, pulled upto a junction, stopped, checked it was clear then booted it, which can easily account for the 2 seconds.

So on the face it I can't account for it - and because I was starting from a left turn junction I was having to turn slightly which meant the car was scrabbling for traction at first, so it could definitely do it quicker.

So maybe I've got a car that exceptionally quick, I dunno. I had a Type-R try and outrun me 20 to Motorway speed ;-) and it couldn't which surprised me. I think next time I'll have to video it, and then I'll know for sure

Paul

I doubt it would have got to 60 in 6 secs.

Even pre-remap and CDA, I was doing standing starts without ASR/TC on with Nige and his box o tricks in the car - I was doing 8.5, which was book speed for the 5-door. But I was probably spinning for the first second, lol.

Still, mine is now a lot quicker, but no official times yet - need drier roads.

Back